• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Pioneer SX-1010 refresh

Nice job.
I use the silpads and I put a real light coat of paste on both sides using a safety razor as a spatula. I can't help myself.

Can you provide a part number for these or a better description I would like to include them with my order....

Thanks
 
Last edited:
I made headway this weekend. I should have this buttoned up later this week. Mouser does carry those silpads so you can add those to your bom.

IMG_20160403_121716034sml.jpg

IMG_20160403_121722586sml.jpg

IMG_20160403_130855206sml.jpg

IMG_20160403_130859578sml.jpg

IMG_20160403_185724455sml.jpg

IMG_20160403_185733119sml.jpg

IMG_20160403_185747593sml.jpg

IMG_20160403_185805956sml.jpg
 
Last edited:
index.php


"1N4004 flyback diode is added between pins 9 (anode) and 10 (cathode)"
Quote MTF:
When the relay current is turned off, there is a watt of magnetic field in the relay coil that collapses. This causes a negative voltage spike (-60v or so!!) across the relay coil, which does not make the transistor happy. The diode prevents this voltage from going below -0.6v or so, protecting the relay drive transistor. Pioneer did it on later, more expensive models, and increases the longevity of the relay drive transistor. I, of course, specified a much more robust transistor for that position.
 
Thanks man! If you look at the third picture down you can see I installed one. Right there next to the red wire.
 
It was hiding.
Very nice job, good work is rewarded in the 1010's. Fantastic sounding receiver and I miss mine.
 
Question for you Junfan. What do you do with the STV diode when you pull the amp board or when you replace the outputs. I have not tackled this yet, and after reading how fragile they are, I am sort of scared of them.
 
It is not an issue with his because they are mounted on the amp board heat sink. If they are on the output heat sink just take them loose from the heat sink and be careful that they don't hang on anything when you are moving the amp boards around.
 
Thanks Zero. I have only opened it up once, but I recall the resistors being mounted to the main heatsink. I will just have to be very careful. I wonder if taping them to the board to secure them would help, but not sure.
 
Thanks for answering that Zero. I just tried to remove all wires from wire management and it gave me enough slack to do everything I wanted. It was really about being patient and careful with stuff.
 
I'm only seeing the flyback diode attached to pins 9 & 11, it is recommended 9 to 10, but I have seen 9 to 11 before, all the 1010's I do I attach 9 to 10, not sure if this will be an issue. By the way nice clean work.
 
Well, since 10 and 11 end up in the same trace I don't believe it should be an issue. Thanks TSD for the advice and I have it partially together and guess I better order lights before I do the main caps and put it anything else back together..
 
index.php


"1N4004 flyback diode is added between pins 9 (anode) and 10 (cathode)"
Quote MTF:
When the relay current is turned off, there is a watt of magnetic field in the relay coil that collapses. This causes a negative voltage spike (-60v or so!!) across the relay coil, which does not make the transistor happy. The diode prevents this voltage from going below -0.6v or so, protecting the relay drive transistor. Pioneer did it on later, more expensive models, and increases the longevity of the relay drive transistor. I, of course, specified a much more robust transistor for that position.
I know this is an older post, but purchased a 1010 recently. I plan on going through it soon. I noticed the post says between pins 9 and 10, but the picture shows the diode on 9 and 11. Is that where it actually goes?
 
Yes
On the protection board.
It is an added modification to the protection circuit.
 
If you look at the back side of the board, pins 10 & 11 are tied together, so really it doesn't matter which pin (10 or 11) gets the cathode end of the diode. See manual page below. ScreenHunter 76.jpg
 
If you look at the back side of the board, pins 10 & 11 are tied together, so really it doesn't matter which pin (10 or 11) gets the cathode end of the diode. See manual page below. View attachment 3339800
Thank you sir. Worked in electronics most of my life. Security and access control systems. Started getting into vintage audio and am now slightly obsessed. Really want to get into servicing equipment, but didn't plan on starting on the 1010. I have a Pioneer TX-6800 and SA-6800. Think I'm going to start with the tuner and see how that goes. It's inexpensive and can find another if something goes wrong.
 

Attachments

  • 90b1680f-d57f-41e9-9486-5190ab5cd563.jpg
    90b1680f-d57f-41e9-9486-5190ab5cd563.jpg
    83 KB · Views: 4
Back
Top Bottom