• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Pioneer SX-1250 recap and restoration thread!

Hey guys new to the site! I was given an sx1250 in highschool from a friends dad who was moving and couldn't take it with him and he knew id care for it so he left it for me. Now first things first I'm 90%sure it's all original. And I'm having some issues as I've been reading I've come to learn that the front panel switches and push buttons are likely dirty. Nothing internal has been replaced to my knowledge. I'm wondering where do I start? I have audio out the preamp only none of the speaker ports. I only have strong audio from the right however, the left channel is almost non existent. HELP!!!! I love this thing and want to be careful with it. I'd like to keep it as close to oe as I can and as the saying goes if it ain't broke don't fix it, but while I'm in there are there any upgrades I should do now that I've got it open?
 
Hey guys new to the site! I was given an sx1250 in highschool from a friends dad who was moving and couldn't take it with him and he knew id care for it so he left it for me. Now first things first I'm 90%sure it's all original. And I'm having some issues as I've been reading I've come to learn that the front panel switches and push buttons are likely dirty. Nothing internal has been replaced to my knowledge. I'm wondering where do I start? I have audio out the preamp only none of the speaker ports. I only have strong audio from the right however, the left channel is almost non existent. HELP!!!! I love this thing and want to be careful with it. I'd like to keep it as close to oe as I can and as the saying goes if it ain't broke don't fix it, but while I'm in there are there any upgrades I should do now that I've got it open?
First, welcome to audiokarma, great unit you have there . second you should start a new thread with your problem with the specifics, ''some issues'' is too generic to help you.
So let's starts with a new thread, specifics and your experience in this kind of equipment. :thumbsup:
 
Started a new thread......
Pioneer sx-1250 intermittent audio with distortion....
Didn't mean to muddy the waters here.... any help is greatly appreciated.
 
Hi everyone. So I have a 1250 I'm working on and copied the two BOMs above and started comparing them and see there are differences in the caps that are identified. Which list should I follow or does it really matter?
 
Hello.
I'm about to begin a recap of a 1250 and have placed my order off Mouser - but realized I missed the tuner board. When I went back to create the order for the tuner board, I realized there are a few obsolete parts:
667-ECQ-V1H474JL, 667-ECQ-V1H224JL & 598-DSF050J. Any recommendations for substitutes?
Also, I will be starting a new thread to document my process and posting questions since this is my first recap, ever. However, I've been reading this thread (and others) over and over - so I know I'm in good hands here with this group!
 
Anyone have a recommendation for a replacement awf-021 c15/c16. I have completed my recap but have popping noise when switching between phono 1 & phono 2. It was recommended to replace c15/c16 with 20pF - so was looking for a recommendation for the replacement/upgrade. Thanks.
 
I don't belive that will fix it.
Start your own thread in this forum and we all will have a shot it helping you get it sorted.
 
Thanks - should I respond to this thread “SX-1250 function switches pop“ and keep that thread going? Or is it best to start a new one?
 
:jawdrop::jawdrop::jawdrop::jawdrop::jawdrop: that's the legendary feeling of " change in sound " I know I've got to experience that feeling too one day. Especially after all the hard work you just feel insanely happy like really happy

KUDOS to your restored baby and long live the SX series
 
Hello everyone

So I've started my work and pulled the left AWH 048 board which has the Tantalum capacitor. In the BOM I pulled from Matt SD's list he recommends an alternate Panasonic metallized film cap #667-ECQ-V1H224JL which is no longer made.
https://www.mouser.com/datasheet/2/315/panasonic_abd0000ce8-1196940.pdf
I found an alternative which I've brought in but I'm concerned it may not be suitable for the application. This is what I found from CDE on Mouser #539-168224J50C-F.
https://www.mouser.com/datasheet/2/88/168-185-16061.pdf
It's the same capacitance and the same higher voltage rating but doesn't specify it as non inductive unlike the Panasonic. Curious if it's a good option in this forums opinion or if there's a recommended alternative.

Heres a link to my build thread

https://www.audiokarma.org/forums/index.php?threads/sx1250-sx5590-restoration.907820/#post-13621924

Thanks in advance
Matt
 
Last edited:
I updated that list a long time ago (2017 to be exact) to replace the ECQ cap:

Power Amp Board (AWH-048-A) (This list times two for the two amp boards) (Q1 and 2 recommended for gain matching, but is not required)

AWH-048-A: C2: 10uF 16v CEANL: 647-UKL1E100KDDANA 10uF 25v
AWH-048-A: C5: 220uF 16v CEANL: 647-UKL1C221KPDANA 220uF 16v
AWH-048-A: C11: .22uF 10v CSZA: 80-F612JF224J063A .22uF 63v
AWH-048-A: C15: 470uF 80v CEA: 647-UPW2A471MHD 470uF 100v
AWH-048-A: C16: 470uF 80v CEA: 647-UPW2A471MHD 470uF 100v

Not sure where you found a list that still has the ECQ cap, if you can point it out I will make sure I change it or get it changed.
 
Hey Mattsd.
Its on post 102 from Mark the fixer. This thread. Guess I should have asked some questions before commencing to my order, but I was trying to use what had already been posted to my best ability.

BTW
do you recommend replacing the power transistors? Or just replace the thermal compound?

Thank you,

Matt
 
Hey Mattsd.
Its on post 102 from Mark the fixer. This thread. Guess I should have asked some questions before commencing to my order, but I was trying to use what had already been posted to my best ability.

BTW
do you recommend replacing the power transistors? Or just replace the thermal compound?

Thank you,

Matt

That was from 2013....

Lists are intended as a starting point, to save a bit of typing. YMMV is the eternal constant.
Parts NUMBERS in distributor's stock change, some parts are discontinued. even obsoleted.

Leaving the old numbers accessible enables searching for posts about them, which sets you on the trajectory for finding what other parts numbers can serve in their place. It may take a little digging, and reading BEYOND the choice, to see, for example, that that specific part number was intended for automated assembly and has it's leads trimmed TOO SHORT to use on YOUR Printed Circuit board. THAT'S why parts numbers look like alphabet soup!!!

So, YOUR work product should ALSO be published after everything has been found to fit, and for a while - reign supreme.
 
Last edited:
I see. It didn't really read that in the thread so I just read through until I got to the last BOM which is on page 6. I looked just now at the time stamp and saw the update but that wasn't very obvious to me as a newcomer. Maybe that could be written in the text body to point to the latest list so any new people would see that it is actually still current?

Matt
 
Live and learn, It's not an issue really just noted the item and trying to get the right ones. Thanks for jumping in Mark.
 
Back
Top Bottom