• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

PIONEER SX-1980-MINT W/BOX, RECEIPT & MANUAL - $1500 + trade

Register to hide this ad
Nice receiver, that's for sure. It just makes me laugh how people are trying to cash in on stuff like this. I see it all over now.
 
Examples in the condition sometimes top $2k so the asking price is not out of the ballpark. This will not be a great deal but it is not a ripoff either.
 
Nice receiver, that's for sure. It just makes me laugh how people are trying to cash in on stuff like this. I see it all over now.

That's not "stuff like this" gear. The SX-1980 is one of those pieces that truly fetches big bucks for good reason.

What makes me laugh is people who think all "old gear" is the same. Makes for some good deals for me.
 
What the SX 1980 have been going for lately, the price is about right. Because of that, I don't think I will ever own one.
 
Last night I was reading my 1980 Stereo Buying Directory. I came across an ad for District Sound Inc. out of Washington D.C.

SX-1980 $668
SX-1280 $528
SX-1080 $457
SX- 980 $345
SX- 880 $273
SX- 780 $218
SX- 680 $187

The SX-1980 now fetches 3 times more than its original price, while others fetch 3 times LESS than their original price.
 
According to the inflation calculator:

"What cost $668 in 1980 would cost $1716.74 in 2009"

So $2000 is not that far off - but what it has going for it now that it didn't have in 1980 is rarity as well.
 
My 65 Mustang convertible sold for about $3K when new. I can get 10X that now. If I was looking for a nice sx1980, that would be considered.
 
Last night I was reading my 1980 Stereo Buying Directory. I came across an ad for District Sound Inc. out of Washington D.C.

SX-1980 $668
SX-1280 $528
SX-1080 $457
SX- 980 $345
SX- 880 $273
SX- 780 $218
SX- 680 $187

The SX-1980 now fetches 3 times more than its original price, while others fetch 3 times LESS than their original price.
The 1280 does not fetch 3 times less than it's original price. It is about double, from what I have seen. The 1080 is right at even, then it falls off from there.
 
seller is obviously proud saying he wants $1500 cash no matter what you have to offer for trade. That is a bit snobbish, IMO, and will scare off potential buyers.
 
Probably so he doesn't get stuck with a piece of crap on trade or something thats obsolete like prologic is now. Covering his arse is all. Cant blame him.
 
That's not "stuff like this" gear. The SX-1980 is one of those pieces that truly fetches big bucks for good reason.
We could debate this "good reason" until cows fly and there's white blackbirds.

It's all about "what it's worth to you". I personally pay very little attention to 1980's as IMO their most outstanding feature is their highly inflated value. Pioneer made several receivers and integrateds with distinctly better sonics, IMO.
 
We could debate this "good reason" until cows fly and there's white blackbirds.

It's all about "what it's worth to you". I personally pay very little attention to 1980's as IMO their most outstanding feature is their highly inflated value. Pioneer made several receivers and integrateds with distinctly better sonics, IMO.

The market has spoken and the SX-1980 price has been consistently high for years. People who want them are those who saw and heard them in the stores but couldn't afford to buy. They have disposable income today and want to re-capture some of their lost youth. It is worth it to them.
 
I guess "bigger is better" for some. I think I would be happy with a 1250 for a alot less.
 
people who want it will want it

seller is obviously proud saying he wants $1500 cash no matter what you have to offer for trade. That is a bit snobbish, IMO, and will scare off potential buyers.
Actually, I see it as a smart and reasonable negotiable concession in lieu of an extra $500 cash -- seeing he needs to get rid of it by Saturday.

Although I think the seller puts himself at risk because who knows what kind of crap trade the buyer would offer. It would have to be some spectacular piece to be worth $500 used. And the seller also puts himself at a disadvantage saying he needs to sell by Saturday.

Not that any buyer would ever stoop to taking advantage of the situation by trading some gear with potential issues or lowballing. lol

At this price point, I think people who know what they want and the value won't be put off.
 
Last edited:
Plus the guy is apparently in the military. I'd give him a lot of slack just because of that. In a way, he's already giving back value to the country... not that that matters ...
... This is my last post before I leave the country(military), so if you've been looking for one, this as good as it gets. I will accept partial trade on an audiophile integrated stereo amplifier, 5.1 or 7.1 processor/amp, or speakers, but I will want $1,500 in cash, regardless of what your trade might be, but I'm a little flexible on that. Please don't contact me if you can't afford it or with low ball offers. ...
 
According to the inflation calculator:

"What cost $668 in 1980 would cost $1716.74 in 2009"

So $2000 is not that far off - but what it has going for it now that it didn't have in 1980 is rarity as well.

Well, you also have to consider that money for a brand new MIB example. In this case, you're getting something very old that will require maintenance to keep it working well.

What I find much more interesting is the recent major spike in the resale value. Didn't the SX-1980 in good condition often close between $400-$800 just about 3 years ago? I could've sworn seeing a few of them sell in that range in good working order with just a few lights out or something else minor.

Personally, I think what people are paying for is the characteristic of owning something vintage that sounds great. Sure, you could get a comparable sounding piece of equipment for much, much less in a modern example. But it won't be as big and heavy, with such a classic styling.


In any case, it looks to me like the better deal is the lower powered models in the SX line. They still drive speakers really well, yet fly quite a bit low on the radar compared to the SX-1280 and SX-1980.
 
Last night I was reading my 1980 Stereo Buying Directory. I came across an ad for District Sound Inc. out of Washington D.C.

SX-1980 $668
SX-1280 $528
SX-1080 $457
SX- 980 $345
SX- 880 $273
SX- 780 $218
SX- 680 $187

The SX-1980 now fetches 3 times more than its original price, while others fetch 3 times LESS than their original price.

Kinda wondering why my dad bought me a relatively lightweight Sherwood in 1981 for $300 when he coulda had an SX-780 for a lot less. It's a lot more receiver, I have two of em now. Course I'll never let go of the Sherwood but...
 
If you are talking purely about just getting decent sound out through speakers, then there are always the lower-down models in the 1X50 and !X80 series, which sell for a lot less. But if you've ever put them side-by-side, that is almost like saying a regular Toyota will get you from here to there just as well as a Lexus. It's true, but that doesn't mean they are really the same thing. SX-1980 owners will appreciate what I mean.

I think the prices on SX-1980s are a lot of money... but perhaps not excessively so, given its rarity, how much bigger and nicer it is to look at than the other Pioneer receivers, etc... As the most powerful of all the "regular brand" receivers, and better made than the few that surpass it in power, it has a certain "status" or "cachet" to it, which is worth some kind of premium. And just because some people find the SX-1250 to have a sound that appeals to them more, doesn't mean the SX-1980 sounds bad. It does not, not by any means! [I'll hold off deciding which I personally think is best, until after my SX-1980 has been fully recapped/restored. But I've heard enough already to know that the differences are not quite night-and-day, the way some people seem to believe.]

Worth it? Probably. Definitely to some buyers, because people are paying those prices. Nevertheless, I'm very glad I got mine for well below the current market prices; I'd never pay what they go for now, for ANY receiver. I just don't feel that rich, nor do I prize receivers QUITE that much. But while I'm getting rid of some lower-ranking Pioneer receivers, the 1980 isn't going anywhere, thank you. It's a BEAUTIFUL BEAST with (from what I have heard so far) an impressively good sound, and worth some kind of "serious" price.

Given that mint examples of this receiver now may sell for upwards of $2000, and even rough examples for upwards of $1000, his price for one in that nice a condition isn't unreasonable IF you have a decent HT receiver to offer in trade, that didn't cost you too much. Someone who wants an SX-1980 badly enough is probably going to end up with a fair deal on this one.
 
Back
Top Bottom