• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Pioneer sx-424 or Yamaha cr 420 ?

Segafan

New Member
Wondering if the Pioneer sx 424 would be a better amp than my Yamaha cr 420?
My turntable is a Pioneer PL-A25

Usually keep the volume low on my Boston Acoustic A100

Looks like a nice looking amp
 
Register to hide this ad
Hi,
have both of them.
Pioneer has warmer sound, Yamaha has better highs, but both are very nice for the price.
They can be found cheap, because a lot of people are looking for higher wattage, but these are strong enough for home listening.
I use only first 1/3 of the volume scale.

sx 424 vs cr 420.jpeg
 
Last edited:
Wondering if the Pioneer sx 424 would be a better amp than my Yamaha cr 420?
My turntable is a Pioneer PL-A25

Usually keep the volume low on my Boston Acoustic A100

Looks like a nice looking amp

Pioneer SX 424 isn't powerful enough to drive acoustic suspension anything very well. This is only 12 watts/channel. You'd need really efficient speakers with it, your Boston Acoustics A-100 are not.
 
I think, if your Yamaha CR-420 is ok with these speakers, so Pioneer sx-424 will be too, because I have played them at the same volume with the same speakers and there was enough of power.
I don't see big difference between these two receivers, even if Yamaha has 22 watts and Pioneer only 12 watts.

As were mentioned Pioneer sx 424 is not improvement, i put them both on the same level, but they sound little different.
Pioneers are known to sound warmer than Yamahas

Big point of Yamaha is adjustable loudness, I like it.
 
Now i see you wrote you had Turnable Pioneer, so you are looking for receiver Pioneer to match together. Right?
It would be nice.
 
I'm not sure you will gain anything. If you want the looks of the Pioneer, that's a different issue.

FWIW I have an SX-626 (20 wpc) and it would drive KLH 5, AR-2a, and Large Advent as loud as I needed. All acoustic suspension speakers. Oh, and it sounds great. It is a cap-coupled amp and has that warmish tone.

I also use a newer Yamaha every night in my bedroom system.

You probably can't go wrong either way.
 
Back
Top Bottom