• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

PIONEER SX1500-TD Dead Channel still blowing after output replace

I don't remember it being particularly good quality and if the outputs shorted it very well may have roasted

Hi Tom B and Gadget73! Thank you for the thoughtful replies. The bias pot was indeed bad.

I ran over to the bench and found that the bias pot was giving me fluctuating high resistance readings, jumping around on the meter just like the crackle and flicker. I pulled it and put in a 22 ohm resistor I had nearby and it has settled right down. I don't have a 50 ohm trimmer on hand, but I will track something down in order to set the bias. I will get it back together and tidy and trimmed up ASAP.

Good to know that this is a weak spot and I will always check this in future. The symptoms make sense given the problem. The high resistance on the trimmer would raise the bias point way up and slam the output into saturation... Everything is obvious in hindsight...


Thank you... working alone can be a pain sometimes...
You all really helped me get over a hurdled there!

Carl

p.s. Is there a way to edit my thread titled to add "SOLVED" for future searchers?
 
Back
Top Bottom