• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

PL-55x refurb & cart questions

jazzzman

Active Member
My deal fell through for an SL-1700, so I picked up a PL-55x instead. The 55x seems to be a different beast entirely (although both are semi-auto DD units). I would like to change the caps, clean it up and get a decent cart for it. I have the OM and SM, but it is not very clear how to disassemble the unit. I have worked on my PL-610 and it appeared that the SL-1700 pretty much came apart the same way. Does the same hold true for the 55x? I know that the PL-55x is an older model and the return mechanism appears more complicated than in the PL-610. I don't want to goof something up by taking it apart the wrong way. Has anyone done any work on a PL-55? I have searched the forum and found some happy PL-55x owners, but have not come up with any thread about disassembly or recapping. I would appreciate any help I could get.

As for the cart, I am using a dl-110 on my PL-610 and I like it a lot. I was thinking of either getting the best cart I could for under $100 for the 55x or upgrading the cart on my 610 and using the denon on the 55x. I am assuming that the arm on the 55x is also medium mass and would take to the same carts that the 610 likes. If I went the upgrade route, I would like to spend less than $300. Is there a cart in that budget that would be an upgrade for the dl-110. I really like the 110, but perhaps I don't know what I am missing? Anyway, I would just buy another 110, but they are up to about $135 now (I bought mine about 3 years ago for $85), which is above my self-imposed budget.

Thanks in advance for any help anyone can give me.
 
Register to hide this ad
Hey jazzzman,

Vinyl Engine has the the service manual for this table and this should show you how to properly take it apart. The manual is free, you just need to register (which is also free):

http://www.vinylengine.com/library/pioneer/pl-55x.shtml

I'm sure a knowledgeable member will come soon to address your questions about the cart.

Have fun with your new table! :thmbsp:
 
Hi, Jazzzman! I have PL-55X. I changed all electrolitic caps (add more mf in power section), make a new plinth and remove 2 pair of contact which mutes phono out. I was searching as you the best new cart for about $100, and find it in Canada - Audio technica AT120E. I`m happy. I want to try GRADO also. You need a service manual!
This is my 55X new look:
p75n.jpg
 
Thanks Ranf1970 and Paul for your responses.

Paul, your table looks great! Do you have any tips for recapping the unit? Did you get access to the caps through the top of the unit? Do you have to remove the plinth? Does the plinth come off by removing the screws through the feet of the unit?
Thanks again.
Jazzzman
 
Thanks, Jazzzman! I`m glad you like it:)
as I wrote http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/showthread.php?t=391911 look at that pix they`ll answer on your questions!
I don`t have original plinth, but
if you tt doesn`t have speed problem, you don`t need to replace caps, I think. theres a japan well made electrolitic and i decided to recap cause i thought they were a problem of speed.
First you should remove under board and find a power supply circuit, I don`t have original pix, but here is a scheme:
psbi.jpg

There are 3 cap you should replace (You can use Jamicon or different japan brand )

330mf x35V (you can use 470mf and more)
33 mfx 35V
100 mf x 25V

It`s very easy, be careful with polarity! Minus has a mark on the body!
that`s your first step!
 
Last edited:
Here is another pic of this board:
psb2q.jpg

Also I replaced the caps under motor plactic can, but I can`t find them on original schematic, just replaced with a same characterictic (there were about 10-12 ) they rather small, so you need some experience.
I recommend you to check 33 and 45 rpm buttons! In most cases they are the reason of speed stability.
 
Paul, I started another thread, http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/showthread.php?t=438808
that describes some problems I have run into.

I really could use your thoughts on a few issues that I am having: (1) the auto return is giving me problems and from all the threads I have searched and read it seems that my problems are not unusual (the tonearm jumps a little for the final 10 or so revolutions at the end of the album, sometimes actually skipping back a groove or two, this action is always accompanied by a click sound, which I assume is the pin on the underside of the platter striking the plastic arm) the prior discussions conclude that cleaning the mechanism is the way to solve the problem (I also noticed that in the runout, right before lifting, the tonearm slides back maybe an inch, I hope the cleaning would fix that too). However, it does not seem that the mechanism is very accessible.:tears: I suppose you removed the entire mechanism in replacing the plinth, but it is not clear from the service manual how to remove it. Can you give me any help in this regard?

(2) the second difficulty I have is I cannot figure out how to remove the circuit board to change out the capacitors. Did you break off the black fasteners? If so, how did you reattach the circuit board after putting in the new capacitors?
Thanks again for your help.
 
Back
Top Bottom