• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Playstation 1 CD Player?

A quicky: I heard it said that the PS1 won't play CDr's, well I tried to play some and if they came from my computer no they wouldn't play but if they came from my Koss stand alone burner( that only accepts music CDr's) hooked up to my retro vinyl system that I use to burn copies of my vinyl to play in my car they play just fine which is great. A side note I have two systems the digital upstairs system with the Carver and a retro vinyl sysyem with the HK330c downstairs that "NO ONE" touches but me.
 
All PlayStations should be able to read a CD-R, as long as the burn speed is slow.

Same is true for the 1x single speed Sega CD's. They aren't very tolerant of high speed burning recordings.
 
You need to have a program that burns CD's from your computer, in all formats. My Nero program allows me to burn CD's with my computer which will play on any CD player, even my Playstation 1.
 
If your burner is a good one, then fast burns will be fine in older players.

But some of the cheaper burners tend to "smear" the pits at fast speeds, and the older players hate this.
 
I have the same model Playstation. How does the remote work (and please don't say "very well":rolleyes:)?

The bottom 2 rows 0f buttons, all very standard fare[song...forward,reverse,fast,frwd-rev,play,pause,stop]. Widely sold for $5-$10. Coming with it is an infared reader, push it in the memory slot. I about killed my self for months w/out. BTW do the search and do the mods. Extremely open, the music truly flows straight through. I wouldn't mess with the timing though, as it will ruin that golden laser much faster, and there are only so many to stock up on.
 
The bottom 2 rows 0f buttons, all very standard fare[song...forward,reverse,fast,frwd-rev,play,pause,stop]. Widely sold for $5-$10. Coming with it is an infared reader, push it in the memory slot. I about killed my self for months w/out. BTW do the search and do the mods. Extremely open, the music truly flows straight through. I wouldn't mess with the timing though, as it will ruin that golden laser much faster, and there are only so many to stock up on.


:)

Thx!
 
I use Nero:yes:
It could be the brand of CDR or the finalizing process. The koss burner takes about 2 minutes to finalize a cdr and they play in anything. never a problem. most of the stuff I burn in my computer are downloads(oops did I say that?) so it could be the file. Anyway I'm going to try it downstairs tonight with a real high quality interconnect and see if there are increases in quality.
Dwight
I still like the wireless remote option
 
I am greatful to this post. I have asked this same question but about the XBOX 360. I am looking for a good mid-level CD player and have searched the AK threads. I was open to the idea of a game player of some sort as possibly getting more bang for the buck. I hope there are more posts to debate this so I can read and get better informed before I buy.

DK
 
Has anyone tried the 101 as opposed to the 1001? it's smaller uses a wal wart and it has effects! hall, studio about 5 in all I think and if you hook it up to your TV there video effects tied to the music very 60's. I tried this a few years ago and it was pretty cool. I just found it again in a box no RCA jacks just A/V cable hook ups but who knows? Maybe same circuits but in a smaller package?:scratch2:
Dwight
 
I am greatful to this post. I have asked this same question but about the XBOX 360. I am looking for a good mid-level CD player and have searched the AK threads. I was open to the idea of a game player of some sort as possibly getting more bang for the buck. I hope there are more posts to debate this so I can read and get better informed before I buy.

DK

Search the archives it's been discussed extensively.
 
A quicky: I heard it said that the PS1 won't play CDr's, well I tried to play some and if they came from my computer no they wouldn't play but if they came from my Koss stand alone burner( that only accepts music CDr's) hooked up to my retro vinyl system that I use to burn copies of my vinyl to play in my car they play just fine which is great. A side note I have two systems the digital upstairs system with the Carver and a retro vinyl sysyem with the HK330c downstairs that "NO ONE" touches but me.

I've been sold on the PS1's for a long time. I also have a H/K 330c connected to one of mine. The other is hooked up to a Magnavox credenze, solid state.

A link to repairing faulty alignments:

http://dogbreath.de/PS1/LaserAlignment/Laser.html

This has worked on 2 different scph-1001 units. The third was not recoverable. It is mt parts unit currently. For an average price of $8 - you can't go wrong. As far as the rest of the players everyone is raving about, you guys find me a link to them on the web for $8 and I'm there. Until then this is the BEST deal for a quality player, BARNONE. Trust me, I am ALWAYS looking. I have yet to find any player even remotely interesting at any place I frequent. :( Yea, so sad. So until they come along this is the BEST player I have found. A great starter unit to find out what a good player should sound like. I sold my Onkyo DX-C390 within a few days of hooking these units up. The ONKYO was absolutely terrible in every comparison besides this being a single loader and no screen which seems to not be a necessity. Turn on, wait about 7 seconds. Hit the X and you are jamming. Seems too easy to me.

Thanks for th info on the remote. The mrs. will be very happy with that purchase. :banana:

Amu link to which one I need? There are about a thousand on ebay.

I'm tempted to pick up a few more 1001's just to keep as spares just in case they give up the ghost which I am sure is inevitable.
 
I use Nero:yes:
It could be the brand of CDR or the finalizing process. The koss burner takes about 2 minutes to finalize a cdr and they play in anything. never a problem. most of the stuff I burn in my computer are downloads(oops did I say that?) so it could be the file. Anyway I'm going to try it downstairs tonight with a real high quality interconnect and see if there are increases in quality.
Dwight
I still like the wireless remote option

I used to use Nero and had nothing but problems with it. Many CDs I burned using that software wouldn't play in a lot of CD players.
 
Hi all I did a more thorough head to head comparison with PS1 and my tweaked Koss CD player with two copies( Moody Blues: To our childrens, childrens, childrens) of the same CD qued up to play at the same time with about second diiference. I kept all settings the same except for volume which I had to boost a little for the PS1 whose output is less than a normal CD player. I was able to hear the same passages in real time switching back and forth. My conclusion was the PS1 was thin in the bass and highs. The nice rich soundstage with the sound nicely coupled between the speakers for real depth evaporated when the PS1 was playing. The Koss sound was rich detailed large soundstage. I tried it for the whole cd and my wife listened also. In conclusion but a good dedicated CD palyer unless your on a budget. It does sound good but not in direct comparison.
Dwight
 
I still have a PS1 console that plays CD's great.

This is why some vintage items are worth hanging on to no matter what the masses say.

Just a thought! :scratch2:
Rome
 
are there any of the cheap aftermarket PS2 remotes that work? Prices for the original remote are about$11 shipped but there are dozens of the aftermarket ones.
 
Back
Top Bottom