• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Please help! Going to see tonight - AR2 Price

gggvan

Super Member
cabs kinda scratched, pots will need replacing, but still work. one cloth missing. are AR-2 worth more or less than AR 2a or AR 2ax ? all else being equal.
 
Register to hide this ad
I`m thinking $125-150 in less than 7/7.5 condition. I have a pair of 2ax in 8.5 cond with no issues and to me worth $250 minimum.
 
thanks. these are AR-2, from the 1950's. Not many auctions on ebay to see price activity. any ideas? how are they valued opposed to AR-2a?
 
what silvernutsaq said (hahaha btw nice name).

as for how they sound, you'll be amazed what great deep rolling bass a pair of those can give you. really amazing smooth bass.
 
I've a pair of 2s I bought at an estate sale after being surprised by the eBay prices. IIRC, I saw eBay prices of $200 - $350 for a pair of 2s, not 2a or 2ax.

Unfortunately, one had a dead woofer, but I've since gotten a replacement. Speakers sound really, really nice despite the rolled-off high end.
 
what silvernutsaq said (hahaha btw nice name).

as for how they sound, you'll be amazed what great deep rolling bass a pair of those can give you. really amazing smooth bass.

so 125-150? do they fetch a premium above AR-2a/AR-2ax?
 
so 125-150? do they fetch a premium above AR-2a/AR-2ax?

you can probably restore those pots, but with one grill missing, you're not gonna get the price JonL mentioned above. so if i was to guess a number, yes, 125-150 would be about right.

as for if ar2 has premium over 2a or 2ax, i don't think so. they're seen less than the other models, but with AR speakers, it's all about what condition they're in. i've seen 2a and 2ax go for over $400 if in nice condition. on the other hand, i've seen a pair of 3a's go for about that much because of poor condition they were in.
 
Last edited:
Generally speaking the AR2 goes for less than the AR 2ax. That particular vintage AR2 is a two way system with two 5" cone mids for tweeters, and the lack of a dome tweeter like the 2ax has generally makes them sell for less. Also take a good look at all 4 sides of the cabinet, often one of the sides is not veneered on the AR2 because it was meant to be used on it's side (I have a pair that is just raw plywood on that side).
 
Befor you invest in those 2s, please do yourself a huge justice and research those more. I think if you are going to spend that kind of money you can get much better value. my 2 pennies
 
Generally speaking the AR2 goes for less than the AR 2ax. That particular vintage AR2 is a two way system with two 5" cone mids for tweeters, and the lack of a dome tweeter like the 2ax has generally makes them sell for less. Also take a good look at all 4 sides of the cabinet, often one of the sides is not veneered on the AR2 because it was meant to be used on it's side (I have a pair that is just raw plywood on that side).

Mine are that way as well. They're a beast to refinish evenly because of it. :yes:
 
ok, went to see the AR2's. They need to be refinished, but no dents or gouges anywhere. They are the darker finish, which I don't care for anyway. They sound as they should, smooth, bassy, someone said "rolling", yes, I get that. The pots look original, but since they work, what the hell. Both original grills/cloths are there with the fabric on one torn the top about a 2" wide and 3-4" long. Turned them pretty high and heard no static, or loss of performance. The haggleing ensued and when the dust settled, I drove off with them for $100 (his original ask was $350).

What speaker suggestions are out there for good compliments to the sound these offer? I assume something that will add some clear high to the mix. I do love cymbals!
 
ok, went to see the AR2's. They need to be refinished, but no dents or gouges anywhere. They are the darker finish, which I don't care for anyway. They sound as they should, smooth, bassy, someone said "rolling", yes, I get that. The pots look original, but since they work, what the hell. Both original grills/cloths are there with the fabric on one torn the top about a 2" wide and 3-4" long. Turned them pretty high and heard no static, or loss of performance. The haggleing ensued and when the dust settled, I drove off with them for $100 (his original ask was $350).

What speaker suggestions are out there for good compliments to the sound these offer? I assume something that will add some clear high to the mix. I do love cymbals!

any of the 60's/70's/80's era radio shack add-on tweeters would be perfect - the fostex-style 40-1310, lineaum ribbon tweeter, or the electrostatic one (I forget the model #) . . .
 
any of the 60's/70's/80's era radio shack add-on tweeters would be perfect - the fostex-style 40-1310, lineaum ribbon tweeter, or the electrostatic one (I forget the model #) . . .

AR-2nElectrostat3RS1961.jpg


http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/showthread.php?t=275874

As seen in Reader's Digest: I Am Markus' Memory :-P
 
I bought a set years ago and redid the cross overs and replaced the cones with a nice Dynaudio( I think, bought them long time ago) soft dome tweeter. Love the sound now.

Athanasios
 
any of the 60's/70's/80's era radio shack add-on tweeters would be perfect - the fostex-style 40-1310, lineaum ribbon tweeter, or the electrostatic one (I forget the model #) . . .

Sorry, I meant another pair of speakers that would compliment them.
 
Back
Top Bottom