• Please note that Audiokarma will be offline briefly for updates early on Monday morning, September 28th.

Post your favourite MODERN amps - LETS SEE THEM

Other than a couple DIY TPA3116 projects, this is my only post Y2K amp:

Thule_IA100_3.jpg


Thule Audio IA100. It's not much in the looks department, but it sure does sound nice.
 
Last edited:
I hope you realise that's how they come from the factory.....the sleeve on all these caps is cut neatly like that, don't know why, surely manufacturing is easier like that :dunno:
The amp gets just warm, has plenty of ventilation and has not seen that much use.

The Silmics I get from Mouser aren't shrunk like that. But they show like that in all the inner Marantz pics online for those model years. I had a PM7005 with the same shrunken plastic. I wondered if they had a bad batch.

Here is one of my favorites at the moment, waiting for the onset of winter:

IMG_0409.JPG
 
How young does the amp have to be to be considered modern? I have 5 year old amplifiers 10 year old amplifiers and some much older, where is the cutoff date?
 
That are in need of replacement.. Look at all those shrunken plastic sleeves

The Silmics I get from Mouser aren't shrunk like that
I use plenty of Silmics from Mouser as well, they are not like the ones in the PM8005. The sleeves of the caps in that amp are not shrunk, they came like this from factory. They are all cleanly cut at the same dimension, just short of the top of the cap :) .
 
The Lyngdorf 2170 is VERY modern. To the point of being unclassifiable. It is digital but not class D. Below is from this review. https://hometheaterhifi.com/reviews/amplifier/integrated-amplifiers/lyngdorf-audio-tdai-2170-fully-digital-integrated-amplifier-review/

"The topography of the Lyngdorf Audio TDAI-2170 is true “fully-digital” amplification, not traditional class D. In the TDAI-2170 (using digital inputs) the signal never leaves the digital domain until the final output stage where it converts the PCM signal to PWM output, a relatively simple task.
Many of our readers are well versed in the various modes of amplification, but for those who have not committed our Secrets Primer on “Amplifier Class of Operation” to memory, here is a brief introduction to class D amplification. I feel it is of great importance to understand how the Lyngdorf Audio TDAI-2170 is fundamentally different from other class D amplifiers."

I'm currently utilizing this with a pair of Tekton Ulfberht speakers. The Ulfs are VERY efficient and this amp is black hole quiet. It's been a great combination for me. I A/Bed this amp in my home against the Odyssey Kismet/Candella and also to LTA MZ2/ZOTL10. It came out on top in every category of analysis to my surprise.


lyngdorf-audio-tdai-2170-fully-digital-integrated-amplifier-fig1-lg.jpg
 
Other than a couple DIY TPA3116 projects, this is my only post Y2K amp:

Thule_IA100_3.jpg


Thule Audio IA100. It's not much in the looks department, but it sure does sound nice.

Oops, turns out I was wrong. My Thule IA100 is older than I realized. I just looked it up on Hifiengine and they list the introduction date as 1995. I guess that makes it too new to be vintage and too old to be modern.

Oh well, I still like it. I just moved into a new place and set up my master bedroom system after dinner tonight. I have the Thule driving a pair of KEF 104/2 speakers with a modded Sansui TU-717 tuner, a Sony NS3100ES SACD player and a Schitt Modi 2 Uber DAC streaming through an Airport Express from my remotely located Mac Mini dedicated music server as my sources.

It's all remote controllable, which makes it perfect for a bedroom system.
 
Last edited:
hey Bert it looks very impressive! how do you like the way it sounds?
It's very nice, very smooth, plenty of power for my needs. Also quite flexible with pre-outs and main-in.
But there's nothing very special about it either, it's not really better than my (fully, nicely, properly restored) vintage amps and receivers....
 
It's very nice, very smooth, plenty of power for my needs. Also quite flexible with pre-outs and main-in.
But there's nothing very special about it either, it's not really better than my (fully, nicely, properly restored) vintage amps and receivers....
thanks for that Bert. I'm on the fence about a new integrated right now and that was one on my radar along with the Yamaha A-S701 or S801 but I don't need a DAC. I'm using a Yamaha RX-770 receiver from the mid 90's and actually like it a lot but my fear is being 25 + years old that something will eventually happen with it.
 
The Lyngdorf 2170 is VERY modern. To the point of being unclassifiable. It is digital but not class D. Below is from this review. https://hometheaterhifi.com/reviews/amplifier/integrated-amplifiers/lyngdorf-audio-tdai-2170-fully-digital-integrated-amplifier-review/

"The topography of the Lyngdorf Audio TDAI-2170 is true “fully-digital” amplification, not traditional class D. In the TDAI-2170 (using digital inputs) the signal never leaves the digital domain until the final output stage where it converts the PCM signal to PWM output, a relatively simple task.
Many of our readers are well versed in the various modes of amplification, but for those who have not committed our Secrets Primer on “Amplifier Class of Operation” to memory, here is a brief introduction to class D amplification. I feel it is of great importance to understand how the Lyngdorf Audio TDAI-2170 is fundamentally different from other class D amplifiers."

I'm currently utilizing this with a pair of Tekton Ulfberht speakers. The Ulfs are VERY efficient and this amp is black hole quiet. It's been a great combination for me. I A/Bed this amp in my home against the Odyssey Kismet/Candella and also to LTA MZ2/ZOTL10. It came out on top in every category of analysis to my surprise.

HELLO,
Can anyone comment on the Lyngdorf 2170 re the possibility of it being too BRIGHT at the high end? I have heard this is the case for Class D amps, how much of a concern is this with the 2170?
And if you have the Lyngdorm 2170, and are using it with standmount speakers, what speakers choice are you happy with? Thank you.
 
Back
Top Bottom