• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

ProAc Owners Thread

Welcome to AK, I'd try and keep the crossover on the sub as low as possible without creating any dips in the bass response. Also don't turn up the output level of the sub too high. You don't want the sub to call attention to itself. You may already know this.

You might want to upgrade your sub if your mainly into 2 channel music. For not a lot of money a little REL, T/5i sub would probably match your ProAcs very well in a smallish room. You didn't say how big your room is (?)

Thanks for the welcome. The room is about 4 m by 4 m. I have set the crossover to 80 Hz with the volume set relatively low at present. The bass from the sub does not seem to be overpowering the rest of the frequency range. I will look into your recommendation for a new sub.
Thanks,
 
Hi guys, new kid on the block.
Have any of you noticed any changes in D20R production? Last december I bought a pair of Proac's D20R fitted with the same bass driver used in proac D2R (with copper phase plug).
 
Hi guys, new kid on the block.
Have any of you noticed any changes in D20R production? Last december I bought a pair of Proac's D20R fitted with the same bass driver used in proac D2R (with copper phase plug).

Pull a woofer and see how the solder connections look...look sloppy and re-soldered ? Bought them used ? I've scoured the internet for pictures and so far have only seen the acrylic phase plugs.
 
I'm very interested in hearing the D30RS at some point. There is a dealer about an hour and a half away, but I just haven't had time to make it down. I really like the look of Proac Speakers. Ive listened to the Spendor D7 a couple of times and really liked them, but find them a tad bright. Imaging was great. I keep hearing that Proac is slightly smoother (especially the newer ribbon tweeters) and maybe a bit colored.

Has anyone here heard the D30RS? I'm wondering how much sub bass impact it has in the 30hz range.
 
I'm very interested in hearing the D30RS at some point. There is a dealer about an hour and a half away, but I just haven't had time to make it down. I really like the look of Proac Speakers. Ive listened to the Spendor D7 a couple of times and really liked them, but find them a tad bright. Imaging was great. I keep hearing that Proac is slightly smoother (especially the newer ribbon tweeters) and maybe a bit colored.

Has anyone here heard the D30RS? I'm wondering how much sub bass impact it has in the 30hz range.

I own Proac D30R speakers, not the RS model. Specs are the same for both models for whatever that is worth. Sub 30Hz is not a problem at all. I abandoned B&W 800 series and won't look back. When making my decision to purchase the Proacs I auditioned Splendor 100's from the classic series. The Spendor's are beautiful but the Proacs were LIVE, much more entertaining. Go listen to the Proacs but bring your check book. You will want to bring them home!
 
I own Proac D30R speakers, not the RS model. Specs are the same for both models for whatever that is worth. Sub 30Hz is not a problem at all. I abandoned B&W 800 series and won't look back. When making my decision to purchase the Proacs I auditioned Splendor 100's from the classic series. The Spendor's are beautiful but the Proacs were LIVE, much more entertaining. Go listen to the Proacs but bring your check book. You will want to bring them home!

How much did you pay for them if you don't mind me asking? What are the dimensions of your room? It's a bit hard to tell from the photo.
 
How much did you pay for them if you don't mind me asking? What are the dimensions of your room? It's a bit hard to tell from the photo.

I bought a dealer demo pair for a nice discount. My room is 15.5' x 13.5' (I'm not good at metric system).
 
I have committed to purchase a Response 2s in rosewood from the original owner who bought them in 2001. He had also sent the drivers to ProAc to get them refoamed, tweeter foam trim replaced, etc. recently. I was totally floored by what these little speakers can do. Clarity and imaging is simply out of this world. I did not want to buy older speakers but this model gets rave reviews.

They will be set up in our conference which doubles as my music room after 6pm. I have two sealed dual driver Pinnacle subs to help the bottom end and the source will be a Bluesound Node. The seller is delivering the speakers on Monday.

These will be replacing my Focal CMS 50 which are simply too dry and clinical, aka boring and no fun. ProAc 2s to the rescue. Hip hip, hooray.
 
ProAc Response 1SC owner here. Bought my pair back in the late 90's and it is still one of the most revealing and transparent speakers I've ever heard. Would love to have the 2.5s back then but they were out of my budget.
 
Hey Proac people! I haven't heard a peep (pardon the word usage) out of anyone since we have all been locked inside. What I have heard are hours and hours of my D30R speakers singing to me daily to keep me safe from evil things outside my house. I've mostly been listening to vinyl with an occasional CD, oh and some FM radio signal through my Magnum Dynalab. I hope all of you are safe and having happy listening!
 
Hey Proac people! I haven't heard a peep (pardon the word usage) out of anyone since we have all been locked inside. What I have heard are hours and hours of my D30R speakers singing to me daily to keep me safe from evil things outside my house. I've mostly been listening to vinyl with an occasional CD, oh and some FM radio signal through my Magnum Dynalab. I hope all of you are safe and having happy listening!

:thumbsup: I just started another 3 week layoff and looking forward to spending time in front of my R2.5’s They certainly make the time spent inside much more enjoyable.


I have committed to purchase a Response 2s in rosewood from the original owner who bought them in 2001. He had also sent the drivers to ProAc to get them refoamed, tweeter foam trim replaced, etc. recently. I was totally floored by what these little speakers can do. Clarity and imaging is simply out of this world. I did not want to buy older speakers but this model gets rave reviews.

They will be set up in our conference which doubles as my music room after 6pm. I have two sealed dual driver Pinnacle subs to help the bottom end and the source will be a Bluesound Node. The seller is delivering the speakers on Monday.

These will be replacing my Focal CMS 50 which are simply too dry and clinical, aka boring and no fun. ProAc 2s to the rescue. Hip hip, hooray.

How are the R2’s working out ?
 
[QUOTE="mikeybc,
How are the R2’s working out ?[/QUOTE]

Not very well, just does not have the room filling sound in our conference room which is quite large and the Covid-19 shutdown put the skids on any room treatments, which could have helped. I have a pair of Apogee Duetta's which may be better suited for this room, 500 sft. + and 10 foot ceiling, hollow industrial walls.

I sold and shipped them yesterday to a ProAc enthusiast on AK, a BT sale. They are the 2s which are rarer than the 2.
 
Not very well, just does not have the room filling sound in our conference room which is quite large and the Covid-19 shutdown put the skids on any room treatments, which could have helped. I have a pair of Apogee Duetta's which may be better suited for this room, 500 sft. + and 10 foot ceiling, hollow industrial walls.

I sold and shipped them yesterday to a ProAc enthusiast on AK, a BT sale. They are the 2s which are rarer than the 2.


That's too bad, Hopefully the new owner has the right room for them.
 
Last edited:
I'm planning on giving my 20 yr old Dynaudio Focus 110 to my son and need a new pair of stand mounted speakers. I'm in a smaller room (12'x14'x8') so another pair of stand mounted speakers will replace them. On my short list are the Proac Tablette 10 Sig , the D1 and the Harbeth P3ESR Anniv. I'd appreciate some input from Proac users who don't seem as rabid about their kit. How might one contrast the 2 sounds? My listening is mostly small ensemble classical, jazz, vocal, piano and some rock and orchestral. Front end is Rega Saturn-R, Elicit-R, and Pro-ject t-t, Nordost cabling. THanks.
 
I'm planning on giving my 20 yr old Dynaudio Focus 110 to my son and need a new pair of stand mounted speakers. I'm in a smaller room (12'x14'x8') so another pair of stand mounted speakers will replace them. On my short list are the Proac Tablette 10 Sig , the D1 and the Harbeth P3ESR Anniv. I'd appreciate some input from Proac users who don't seem as rabid about their kit. How might one contrast the 2 sounds? My listening is mostly small ensemble classical, jazz, vocal, piano and some rock and orchestral. Front end is Rega Saturn-R, Elicit-R, and Pro-ject t-t, Nordost cabling. THanks.
None of the speakers on your list will have anywhere near the bass that the Focus 110’s have. That said they won’t be as difficult to drive either. Your amp and sources are fabulous. I love the Harbeth and ProAc sounds. I do find ProAc to be a bit more analytical than Harbeth. If bass is important to you and you like a little top end sizzle I would definitely look to audition one of the ProAc ported standmount speakers such as the RDB1 or RDB3. If you can live with less bass the Harbeth P3 is an excellent choice.
 
None of the speakers on your list will have anywhere near the bass that the Focus 110’s have. That said they won’t be as difficult to drive either. Your amp and sources are fabulous. I love the Harbeth and ProAc sounds. I do find ProAc to be a bit more analytical than Harbeth. If bass is important to you and you like a little top end sizzle I would definitely look to audition one of the ProAc ported standmount speakers such as the RDB1 or RDB3. If you can live with less bass the Harbeth P3 is an excellent choice.

Thanks for the input, Art. Actually, in my new room the 110s tend to have too much bass, well actually mid bass, that mucks up the sound. I've tried some bass traps and panels, but it still isn't where it needs to be. The P3 and ATC SCM11 are also under consideration as well as the DB1, ATC SCM19, and the C7ESR if I decide to expand my budget.
 
Back
Top Bottom