• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Question about AU-719 and Strange Smell

Some came with transformer covers and some didn't. I assume early ones did, but I don't really know. I have had one that didn't and this one. I replaced the top transformer covers with the covers from an AU-717.
I also added the internal shielding. I was going to paint the chassis, like the AU-717, but didn't. I used the top cover from the AU-717 also. It's thicker, heavier, and a different color than the stock AU-719 cover.

This is how it should have left the factory.

upload_2022-9-12_15-38-9.png

Rob
 
So your AU-719 is "better" than an AU-717? I can see it has beefier heat sinks on the power supply regulation transistors. And improvements in the amplifier topology over the 717. That may stir some debate, but I thought I'd throw it out there.

Regarding not painting the chassis - well, you can hardly see it with all that pretty black metal shielding, so why bother?

That's a nice looking unit.
 
So your AU-719 is "better" than an AU-717?
Although the mechanical construction is 'similar looking', especially with the internal covers removed, the circuitry of the AU-719 shows more significant differences. 'Is an AU-719 better than an AU-717'? - this is a matter of opinion as, again the specifications are similar but the sound presentation is quite different. Both of the models are very much liked, but their sound is just different enough to polarise opinions as to which is 'best'. ;)
 
55EFB21B-E7C6-4086-8B98-141D6C817771.jpeg 9BA84F4E-E883-4767-A287-DF54ACB76A07.jpeg 4A62C4B6-6AEF-4A61-8294-8366349EE4A8.jpeg 670CBBAE-5B48-47B4-B7A5-DD2B1D8D538C.jpeg
Hyperion covered most if not all of what you can consider, This long list can be a little intimidating, but taken a step at a time, it's not too bad. To get the most from your efforts, I would suggest prioritizing to fist make the amp safe from self-destruction, then replace worn out components, then work on things that will improve long-term reliable operation. Based on these criteria, here's an approach you can use to prioritize your restoration:

1) Black flag caps are known to fail and sometimes cause catastrophic failures on other components. Some recommend not powering a unit until these are replaced. Do this first.
2) All things mechanical - cleaning switches, pots, relays, etc. These things will not make your unit blow up nor cause personal harm, so they aren't a top priority. For that reason, I wouldn't prioritize this over the black flag caps or fixing a bad power cord. But, these items may cause dropped channels and system noise that can be mistaken for bad components. If you clean all controls and switches, you can (usually) eliminate them as a cause of problems when diagnosing.
3a) Electrolytics, fusistors, stabistors (multiple diodes in series) and some types of transistors wear out and cause poor operations. I normally work on the power supply first. It's the foundation for every other system and can cause problems throughout your system. Then I move to the amplifier boards/modules because the heat causes components to fail and this is the source of the most heat in your amp.
3b) That corrosive glue eats away at components. As you remove the electrolytics, you can remove this glue and replace any corroded components at the same time.
4) Clean as you go. When you work on a board, clean it, including removal of flux after the soldering is finished. Clean the chassis when you can get to everything. Cotton swaps can be used to reach into nooks. It's a small effort to get it looking like new.
5) Main PS capacitors - the priority is really dependent on your system. If you can check their capacitance and ESR, you can determine if they need to be replaced right away or not. They are the most expensive components, and can usually be done without a bunch of disassembly, so you can replace them at any step in your restoration.
6) Power cord replacement depends on the condition. Some are fine, but if cracked or the plug is damaged, this should be first on the list for obvious safety reasons.
7) Thermal compound - do this when you are working on the amp module - you can remove the heat sinks, wash them thoroughly, and apply new compound to a nice clean heat sink. Use isopropyl alcohol to remove the old dried up compound.
8) Speaker terminals - most are fine. Some require repair or replacement. Some folks like to replace with modern terminals. This work can usually wait until you've sorted out the stuff above, especially if your unit has two or three sets.
9) Cleaning the faceplate and all the knobs is perhaps the most rewarding thing you can do. Be careful not to remove any printing from using harsh chemicals. I normally do an initial wash with liquid dish soap. You can usually use something stronger on the knobs.

Please post your progress, and good luck.

Black flags removed!
Not easy to get to the two flags in the head amp.
First time soldering since … since … ages.
Will start looking at the electrolytics soon.
 
Last edited:
I think the smell is due to the resin (soldering flux) left in the overheated locations evaporating. My AU-D707 also smells like that when listening for a long time.
 
Back
Top Bottom