• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

RCA "Avatar"

Theophilus Punoval

The Queen says it's OK...
We all know the dog in the RCA "avatar" is named Nipper and the caption was "His master's voice". But do you know what Nipper is sitting on in the original picture? Beside his rear end, of course.

I do...but do you?
 
Register to hide this ad
His masters... coffin

Really? Makes sense...

nipper.jpg
 
That's freaky. But, upon googling the image, I now can see the edges. He's definitely not on the floor.

Where'd you learn that?

So, after doing a little research (I'm in an edit now), it appears that it's not his master's coffin. I've found one source that claims that the notion that the dog is sitting on a coffin is, in fact, not true: http://www.erikoest.dk/nipper.htm (once you get to that page, search for the word "coffin" and you'll see why I'm now disinclined to believe that it's a coffin).

However, it's understandable that the rumor might persist as there's an alternate name for the painting. Instead of being titled, "His Master's Voice," some claim that the painting is actually named, "His Late Master's Voice." The original name of the painting was "Dog looking at and listening to a Phonograph."

The other thing that's interesting that I learned in my brief research was that the original painting showed a wax cylinder, not a phonograph, and that, if you think about it, makes a lot more sense. When the wax cylinder machines were popular, they often included a kit that allowed you to make your own recordings. The cylinders were wax after all. And that makes it fairly plausible that Nipper's owner might have made a recording.

But, the painter updated his painting to a Victrola, keeping up with the changing technology, but then it becomes a question of how likely would it have been to have made a lacquer 78 that might have his master's voice on it? Just something to think about. If you have a spare minute or two.
 
Last edited:
Well, I got curious and googled a bunch of pictures, including the original painting. (I now know more about this image than I ever did before - thanks! I think.) Anyway, I don't see Nipper sitting on anything that's particularly identifiable. Curious whatcha got Lou.
 
Coffin? It looks more like a simple table with a glass or glossy lacquered top. The original title was apparently "His Late Master's Voice," so I could see where the coffin thing would come from, but it really doesn't look like one to me.
 
One of the pictures I saw when I was letting my ADD follow through on this showed Nipper sitting in his trademark pose, on top of a small table with a table cloth over it. I suspect that was the original or an early draft, and that the shiny table was added in later (maybe around the same time the artist changed the wax cylinder phonograph to a victrola).
 
Coffin? It looks more like a simple table with a glass or glossy lacquered top. The original title was apparently "His Late Master's Voice," so I could see where the coffin thing would come from, but it really doesn't look like one to me.

:yes:
 
This thread was fun, just the same.
I thought the dog's name was Victor, so it made my morning, all the better.
 
Back
Top Bottom