• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

recognize this magnavox?

rmunson

Well-Known Member
Hi Guys -
does anyone know what amp I would be likely to find in this amp-- I'm pretty sure it's old enough for tubes -- just hoping to score a 93XX chassis magnavox console --
 

Attachments

  • magnavox.jpg
    magnavox.jpg
    5.4 KB · Views: 56
Register to hide this ad
Hmmm.....

That looks suspiciously like an early SS unit I have out in the garage. I kept it for eventual conversion into a liquor cabinet, but now I don't know if I have the time or motivation....:no:
 
Those are fairly common. You see them at thrift stores and yard sales all the time. Could be tube but is probably an "Astro Sonic" SS. Before you go to look at it ask the usual tube questions. Does it turn on right away? Does it have a sticker on the back that says "No user serviceable parts inside"? Etc.
 
That looks just like the Magnavox unit that my brother purchased new in 1969. It was solid state with speaker grill cloths on the front (horn tweeters) exactly like in your photo. The side end-panel grill cloths hid the woofers.

Also, there was a Magnavox satellite speaker system that had two walnut veneered two-way speakers and a speaker switch-box that mounted on the back of the console cabinet. My brother purchased the satellite speakers, too.

Great sounding console unit. I was introduced to The Ventures, all The Beatles, Santana, The Lettermen, The Association, The Mamas & the Papas, The Sandpipers, etc. on it by my older sibling. Lots of great memories with that console.
 
yes!! 93xx in your console

I have the sams for this 93xx type amplifier and on the cover shows the identical model you have in it. dated 7-1962. Note if the am/fm receiver does not say astro-sonic anywhere on it, chances are its a tube model, usually called magnificent magnavox. hope this helps
 
Back
Top Bottom