• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Record Cleaning - Soap and Water - test results

OK the Spin Clean could be an alternative that can be used in the man cave with no need for a sink and no noise. Is the Spin Clean going to get costly over time? The basic unit looks like $80 and a package deal is $120 which I suspect includes extra fluid and towels. Worried about the big picture with the cost bumping into the low priced RCMs from KAB and Record Doctor. The other method suggested was wood glue, I don't know about you but I don't feel like waiting overnight for glue to dry. I'm concerned about the odor and mess with that glue putting me back in the dog house with the lady of the house. Looks like wood glue is going to get the thumbs down. Weighing the pros and cons of all the methods the low budget DIY RCM looks like it's going to be the better choice based on short and long term cost, convenience, domestic tranquility and hopefully cleaning records at least equally as well as the others. A downside might be some noise but it will only be going in short bursts and the man cave is in the cellar and fairly insulated from the rest of the house. If I missed and over looked something let me know.
 
Majick47, get the Spin Clean.

I cannot imagine not having it, now that I have it. Works fantastic.
BTW, get the starter pack, and see what you think. I got the package deal, and don't regret it one iota.
 
If I missed and over looked something let me know.

The fictional character you've created could wait until evening time when the overbearing, music-hating fictional wife of his is sitting on the couch watching whatever TV show is popular among women of her demographic. Maybe that would be a good time for Joe Sixpack the aspiring audiophile to clean his cat-piss records in the sink?
 
Last edited:
OK the Spin Clean could be an alternative that can be used in the man cave with no need for a sink and no noise. Is the Spin Clean going to get costly over time? The basic unit looks like $80 and a package deal is $120 which I suspect includes extra fluid and towels. Worried about the big picture with the cost bumping into the low priced RCMs from KAB and Record Doctor.

Nah, you can make gallons of the stuff with their concentrate and you can even filter it if you were a super cheapskate (not recommended, but possible)... I think one normal batch lasts 50+ records. On top of that, if you do it once, you won't need to do it again - get some good polyethylene sleeves and you will know what records you have already cleaned (and wont be putting them back in dirty sleeves, or paper ones that shed)...
 
It's always amazed me that people insist on putting LPs in new record sleeves ... are you guys immortal? As long as the sleeve lasts for my lifetime ... I don't worry about it.

I have new sleeves ... the cheap paper kind ... I only replace a sleeve if the old sleeve is falling apart and yellowed ... rarely happens, since most of my vinyl is from the late 60's, 70 & 80's.

I keep the old sleeve if possible (especially printed ones) ... it's part of the history of the album.
 

I've ran across LPs cleaned with those before. It's weird ... they seem to repel water.

No I don't use the Last preservative ... but I use the Last Brushs every day. I use it to spread home brew fluid before RCM.

... I clean with Disc Doctor Miracle Record cleaner in the final cleaning stage (my keepers). Mobile Fidelity Brush to spread DD & then a Last Brush to spread pure water for the rinsing cycles.
 
Seriously guys, majick47 has no intention of buying anything. He created the fictional story to mock everyone who doesn't use an RCM like he does.

He does this because he can't make a cogent argument for his point.

Jon
 
Last edited:
It's always amazed me that people insist on putting LPs in new record sleeves ... are you guys immortal? As long as the sleeve lasts for my lifetime ... I don't worry about it.

I have new sleeves ... the cheap paper kind ... I only replace a sleeve if the old sleeve is falling apart and yellowed ... rarely happens, since most of my vinyl is from the late 60's, 70 & 80's.

I keep the old sleeve if possible (especially printed ones) ... it's part of the history of the album.

I keep any sleeve that has printing on it along with the new sleeve - any moldy/yellowed plain paper ones get trashed. Replacing the sleeve does tell me that I have cleaned the record and I don't have to again. That might be the number one reason to do it.

But also, I find paper sleeves do shed fibers, at least the old ones did. They also seem to sometimes to stick with a charge, but that might be the record and not the sleeve.
 
I keep any sleeve that has printing on it along with the new sleeve - any moldy/yellowed plain paper ones get trashed. Replacing the sleeve does tell me that I have cleaned the record and I don't have to again. That might be the number one reason to do it.

But also, I find paper sleeves do shed fibers, at least the old ones did. They also seem to sometimes to stick with a charge, but that might be the record and not the sleeve.

Perfectly said, and exactly what I do as well.
 
I keep any sleeve that has printing on it along with the new sleeve - any moldy/yellowed plain paper ones get trashed. Replacing the sleeve does tell me that I have cleaned the record and I don't have to again. That might be the number one reason to do it.

But also, I find paper sleeves do shed fibers, at least the old ones did. They also seem to sometimes to stick with a charge, but that might be the record and not the sleeve.

I use outer album covers on most of my vinyl. The outer album covers have a small sticker from Staples that marks the albums grade (Vg++, Nm- ... etc). If the album cover is well worn (not worth an outer cover) ... I put the sticker on the worn album cover itself.

I like to know the grade of my records because I'll buy a better copy if I find one.

As far as paper shedding fibbers ... I don't run across that ... maybe my LPs are not very old compared to some. As stated earlier ... if the sleeve is yellowed/disintegrating ... I replace it with a new paper one.

Static has never been an issue with me because I wet clean an LP side before every play.
 
Last edited:
Question...how long do you wait to play it??

Right after vacuuming. I've been doing it this way for 14 years.

There was not a lot of information floating around about RCM in 2000 when I bough my 1st RCM. I just make up my own routines and been using them ever since.
 
Oh, okay. Thanks, Condorsat.

I use a spinclean, so no vacuuming. Always wondered how long I was supposed to wait after a good wipedown (where you see no moisture at all)
 
Reckon 15 minutes would be enough?

I don't rub vigorously, cause the static gets bad, but I don't leave any visible water.

Just don't wanna ruin my records.
 
Reckon 15 minutes would be enough?

I don't rub vigorously, cause the static gets bad, but I don't leave any visible water.

Just don't wanna ruin my records.

I think that is plenty. For me, I usually only wait a minute after drying to play, but I do wait fifteen before resleeving.
 
Back
Top Bottom