• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Record weights

budsthe3

Active Member
Register to hide this ad
I use the second one on your list. For the money IMO they work great. I bought two of them.
 
I prefer a reflex clamp like the Michell to a weight as it doesn't add stressful force to the spindle thrust bearing as does a weight.
 
I experimented with this and found that record weights and clamps make no difference in sound unless used on warped records, but then only one side needs it. I experimented with a clamp as opposed to a weight for the reasons stated in this thread and many others. I only have maybe one record warped in that way and rather subtle too, so I go without clamps or weights.
I was secretly hoping that there would be a noticable sound difference for the better using a clamp on all records because it makes you look serious and all fancy and stuff. However, I found out that like a lip syncing pop star, looks don't improve performance.
 
Started with a weight and went to a clamp. I found they both added weight (no pun intended) to the bottom end and clarified the performance by removing some of the muddiness weigh down there. Wouldn't spin without 'em.
 
okay, i'm figuring a clamp would be better than a weight because it will add weight, and helping with warped LPs. i do have a bunch of warped LPs, so maybe the clamp would be the better choice for me? i am also wanting better clarification of the music too.
Hmm.
 
might want to check this one out http://www.needledoctor.com/Rek-O-Kut-Disc-Stabilizer-Clamp I got it and noticed a improvement. in fact a couple times i forgot to put it on and noticed it didnt sound as good and looked over at the table and noticed the clamp was off and i out it on as it was playing and noticed right away it sounded better. more bass and clearer. I was skeptical and thought I would probably send it back but I definantly kept it. haha
 
My experience is that if a record is warped enough to make the arm hop the weights and clamps don't do anything. I wish they would.
 
The weight on the H-K series TTs combined with the slightly dished platter & mat do flatten most warped LPs by design. Other designers like SOTA also do this, the dishing-in is intentional for this reason..
 
Last edited:
The weight on the H-K series TTs combined with the slightly dished platter & mat do flatten most warped LPs by design. Other designers like SOTA do this.

The mat on my newly acquired Philips AF-677 seems to be even more dished than my T-25 mat but I can't find any information on this. It certainly wasn't sold with a weight or clamp when new. FWIW, it sounds better with a homemade cork and rubber mat.
 
There are lots of approaches and designs for mats some of which don't really make sense. Pretty much changing anything can make an audible difference tho' the general rule is that "different" is easy, "better" not so much.
 
I use the first one you showed in your links, as well as rather expensive Thorens model. Except for the looks and price, I can´t find much difference between them:

TD124.jpg

DSCF4760.jpg
 
I have the Rek O Kut and the Bren1, and altough i prefer the Bren1, i find that the sound seems more focused with both of them.
 
might want to check this one out http://www.needledoctor.com/Rek-O-Kut-Disc-Stabilizer-Clamp I got it and noticed a improvement. in fact a couple times i forgot to put it on and noticed it didnt sound as good and looked over at the table and noticed the clamp was off and i out it on as it was playing and noticed right away it sounded better. more bass and clearer. I was skeptical and thought I would probably send it back but I definantly kept it. haha

same exact experience. Wouldn't be without it, the best $50 tweak I've seen or heard in my system.
 
might want to check this one out http://www.needledoctor.com/Rek-O-Kut-Disc-Stabilizer-Clamp I got it and noticed a improvement. in fact a couple times i forgot to put it on and noticed it didnt sound as good and looked over at the table and noticed the clamp was off and i out it on as it was playing and noticed right away it sounded better. more bass and clearer. I was skeptical and thought I would probably send it back but I definantly kept it. haha
That looks more like a weight rather than a clamp.
 
@hi nut I just ordered a Thorens Weight on eBay. I hope it does the job of dampening unwanted spurious vibration.
 
I have a Bren1 that I really like. I also have an AT618 but it is pretty heavy so I don't use that one now. I set my TD160 springs to compensate for the extra weight (anathema to some I know) but the sound is just awesome.
 
I have the second one.

It's not too heavy, and despite warnings of excessive weight on bearings, I find it makes for less bearing noise, notably with cheap-ish race-type bearings like on BIC and Garrrard changers. BTW the strobe printed on top of that one is for 50Hz, so doesn't work in the US.
 
Hi all, I was thinking about picking up a record weight. I just wanted to know if anyone has any experience with them, especially the ones below, and which one of the two are better. Thanks a bunch! Happy listening! :music:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Audiophile-SOLID-BRASS-Turntable-Record-Player-Stabilizer-Clamp-Weight-Chrome-/400299504847?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item5d33b5b4cf


http://www.ebay.com/itm/170487754036?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649




Which one you select depends on the turntable. If you have a table with a sprung suspension, you definitely don't want anything too heavy. If you have an unsuspended table, you still want to be mindful of the weight of whatever record weight you select. Some spindle bearings aren't as robust as others.

I have two different weights. One is lighter and made of brass...the second one is much heavier and made of stainless steel. Both work very well on my Technics SL-1200 with no problems and no adverse effect on the bearing.

However, I have recently purchased a J.A. Michell clamp, which works along the lines of the VPI screw down clamp...without the screw down. It instead has a collet that grips the spindle and that provides the clamping. I'm using the Michell clamp regularly now, but still keeping my weights.

As for the two listings you provided, I really like the small footprint of the first one. However, it may or may not be a good match for your table. It would be a good match for my 1200.

Note: there are many in here who are pro and con with record weights. Some will try to convince you that they are the bain of the analog world, and others will tell you they are revelatory. Ultimately, YOU decide...just as I did. I used record weights exclusively until I got the Michell clamp. The Michell clamp takes a little longer to use, but it really does a terrific job of clamping (AND FLATTENING OUT) the record.
 
Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom