• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Record weights

No plinth at all on the Micro Seiko DDX-1000,I have had it since 1978 and it is still going strong. A tribute to this fine company!
 
I really don't agree as I feel that the bearings in most Non-Suspended tables are extremely sturdy and are OK to use a weight. I use a weight of 485 Grams on my DDX-1000 and on my Technics Tables and i am getting a Thorens which is even heavier.I don't imagine any harm to the bearings of these tables and they are all Direct Drive. I imagine when it comes to suspended tables there would be a problem.
 
I really don't agree as I feel that the bearings in most Non-Suspended tables are extremely sturdy and are OK to use a weight. I use a weight of 485 Grams on my DDX-1000 and on my Technics Tables and i am getting a Thorens which is even heavier.I don't imagine any harm to the bearings of these tables and they are all Direct Drive. I imagine when it comes to suspended tables there would be a problem.

In agreement with this statement. I use a very heavy weight as well, estimate 2-2.5 lbs and bearing wear I've never witnessed.
 
Have you inspected the thrust plates?

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk
I am sure that it would have evidenced itself by now.I have used it for 6 months now and never had a problem. No need to take the turntable apart for an unnecessary procedure. I am sure if there was a problem I would have seen some evidence of it by now.
 
Have never had the need to disassemble a working TT, unless I was doing an upgrade of some kind, so no bearing wear inspection. Bearings are inaudible. I've been using my homemade (shop made) weight for ~4 yrs. The TT is 80's Pioneer direct drive, which I acquired used. I've never had a bearing fail in a TT, and I've been spinning since the early 70's.
 
Have never had the need to disassemble a working TT, unless I was doing an upgrade of some kind, so no bearing wear inspection. Bearings are inaudible. I've been using my homemade (shop made) weight for ~4 yrs. The TT is 80's Pioneer direct drive, which I acquired used. I've never had a bearing fail in a TT, and I've been spinning since the early 70's.
I echo your remarks,I have 485grams on my DDX-1000 and on my Technics Players I have the same 485 grams and I am planning to get a Thorens weight which I understand is 550 grams. I don't expect any unbeknownest occurrences .May I ask,how much does your (shop made) weight weigh in grams?
 
Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom