• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Record weights

I've had many different weights and clamps over the last 35 years,including that lite weight Chinese cooling tower: as mentioned its strobe ring is set for 50hz, not 60hz and its weight is not sufficient to correct a dish warp. But the bubble level is kinda handy, especially if the top of your spindle is pointy instead if flat. Best clamp I've used is the old ADC Pro Grip, which is a clamp, not a dead-weight puck.
 

Attachments

  • $T2eC16J,!zcE9s4g0ufFBR89hkR2Vw~~60_35.jpg
    $T2eC16J,!zcE9s4g0ufFBR89hkR2Vw~~60_35.jpg
    6 KB · Views: 27
I've had many different weights and clamps over the last 35 years,including that lite weight Chinese cooling tower: as mentioned its strobe ring is set for 50hz, not 60hz and its weight is not sufficient to correct a dish warp. But the bubble level is kinda handy, especially if the top of your spindle is pointy instead if flat. Best clamp I've used is the old ADC Pro Grip, which is a clamp, not a dead-weight puck.

That looks like the reflex clamp that came with my Systemdek. Being all plastic it broke after 15 years or so of daily use.
 
I'v gone back and forth on clamps/weights and from experience have heard no difference with or without one, your results could be different if your table has issues with design and/or quality. Of the two I'd recommend something like the Mitchell clamp and avoid any heavy weights no matter how cool they look. As for warped records if the warp is that bad neither a clamp or weight is going to make it safe to play without possibly damaging the stylus. I avoid any records with a noticeable warp, they go right back into the record store bin and I find a copy that isn't warped, no record is worth damaging the stylus.
 
That looks like the reflex clamp that came with my Systemdek. Being all plastic it broke after 15 years or so of daily use.

Not plastic - aluminium body and clamp plunger, brass insert to grip the spindle. Ribbed rubber base. Weighs less than a pound, the user detemines how much downward clamping force is exerted. Fine clamp, damn near unobtanium anymore.

I did have one of those plastic "lunar lander" clamps, worked OK when new
but eventually wouldn't grip the spindle very well thus the spring loaded feet would pop it up off the spindle, great excitement when the record was playing....
 
Never seen a bearing damaged or worn from using a record weight. I think we might be worrying about something that rarely if ever occurs. I simply use as big of an aluminum weight that I can fit on my records that will fit under the cover. Had it turned on lathe in shop. Easy cheap and effective.
 
Record non weight

This is all I need to hold the LP flat. Isn't that the goal of a record weight?

Paul
 

Attachments

  • IMG_0507.jpg
    IMG_0507.jpg
    58 KB · Views: 49
I use the Clear Audio Souther Clever Clamp, I love it. Can usually be had for 30 bucks or so. A truly great product for the money.
 
I use the Clear Audio Souther Clever Clamp, I love it. Can usually be had for 30 bucks or so. A truly great product for the money.

Lou Souther sent me one when it went into production ca 1984, still as good as new so durability is not an issue. I'd also recommend the Michell and KAB clamps. I don't like adding weight to the thrust bearing on a TT if it's avoidable.
 
I don't know how easy it is to find them any more, but I've been using rubber reel to reel tape spool clamps for years. They work great, didn't cost much, and don't add enough weight to hurt a spindle bearing.

On my Sota, I use an old Thorens weight... mostly because it looks better, but the old Realistic brand rubber RtR clamp works just as well.
I like to pick up old used tables, clean them up, replace the belt & cart etc., and give them away to friends. I always give them a rubber clamp too!

My Ariston & Well Tempered tables have their own screw down clamps.
 
This is all I need to hold the LP flat. Isn't that the goal of a record weight?

Paul
I like that.....Clever symmetry of design and it can be used to hold papers together.Very clever!Iguess it is a prototype you ought to get someone to manufacture it.:tresbon:
 
I don't know how easy it is to find them any more, but I've been using rubber reel to reel tape spool clamps for years. They work great, didn't cost much, and don't add enough weight to hurt a spindle bearing.

On my Sota, I use an old Thorens weight... mostly because it looks better, but the old Realistic brand rubber RtR clamp works just as well.
I like to pick up old used tables, clean them up, replace the belt & cart etc., and give them away to friends. I always give them a rubber clamp too!

My Ariston & Well Tempered tables have their own screw down clamps.

I've used reel stops as well but on a label sized disc to distribute the clamping pressure.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk
 
This is all I need to hold the LP flat. Isn't that the goal of a record weight?

Paul
That's one of them. Another is to damp the vinyl by way of stilling vibrations from the needle that reach the label so that they are not reflected back. The Thorens clamp is designed to do this and it is a very simple, clever setup. On the Mission deck, I use a TTW weight of stainless steel that is filled with loose aggregate that absorbs vibrations so the steel can't resonate. It's a different take on the Thorens clamp but the net effect is roughly the same.
 
Back
Top Bottom