• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Rega Planar 2 vs Thorens TD-165

hugz

Well-Known Member
I've got a chance to pick up a Thorens TD-165 for about $100 more than I can sell my Planar 2. Is this a worthy "upgrade"?
 
Register to hide this ad
I tried to find big sonic differences between a TD-165 and a 160. It is not easy. Probably they are very close.
The TD-160 is built better, with better wooden plinth, a better tonearm, a better motor and a more solid, metal subplatter.
Yet, if the TD-165 is in good working conditions, I would probably go for it: it has more character, more appeal than any Rega Planar 2 or 3.
I've been thinking of replacing my old Thorens TD-165 with a new Rega or Project - thank God I didn't! I would have regretted it for life! I replaced it, but with a TD-160! ;-)
It is also a matter of tastes and practicality: one may like the modern looks more or may have difficulties or lack the time and wish to do all the adjustments a Thorens suspended table needs to run at top performance. A Planar is more "plug and play"...
They are also two different approaches: rigid vs suspended plinth.

Although at the end it might actually be a "sidegrade" more than an upgrade, personally I would do it...
But I would not spend more than $200 for a TD-165 yet to be refurbished and adjusted!
 
The Thorens is more susceptible to footfalls...so if you have a bouncy wooden floor, you will be happier with the Rega. However, put the Thorens on a wall shelf, and the foot fall issue is eliminated.
 
I've got a chance to pick up a Thorens TD-165 for about $100 more than I can sell my Planar 2. Is this a worthy "upgrade"?

I would consider the Planar 2 to be an upgrade over a TD-165, but when looking at turntables that are decades old, current condition may count for more than original design and performance. Can you audition the TD-165, comparing it to your Planar 2, prior to purchase?
 
The planar 3 with an rb300 on a wall shelf with the right cartridge makes for a pretty neutral listen (with the cartridge itself adding most of the discernible 'character'). Still , there is a lot to be said for a well aligned 3 point suspended especially if the arm itself is not quite in rb250 rb300 territory in terms of neutrality and/or construction.
I could quite happily live with any thorens turntable that allows a rega or linn or jelco built arm to be installed. And ,as a Rega Planar 3 + RB300 owner for 21 years and an Ariston RD60 Ariston Enigma (jelco built straight arm) owner for 27 years... I would recommend giving both the thorens and the rega a good listen before picking either...
You may like both..
 
Back
Top Bottom