• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Thorens TD 165

Timothy,
thanks again for the post. I just contacted Nick. I know you have your own recipe for a cleaning solution (and that this dead horse has been severely beaten here - Record cleaning- you're doing it wrong! | Audiokarma Home Audio Stereo Discussion Forums - , but just curious if you (or anyone else reading) as tried this. I haven't seen much of it here on AK:
Clean Vintage Vinyl Records Like A Professional Archivist With TergiKleen™ Tergitol-based Fluid Concentrate
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B019YI38Z...=UTF8&colid=Z1XD22CSOKPR&coliid=IO619DGFMD320

They don't list the ingredients, so I was curious if there's an anti-static component to it too.
I actually have seen it online but dismissed it since it is another magic cocktail that does not include a list of ingredients as you say. My big thing is wanting to know what the mix contains and what chemicals are going on my Vinyl not that I am really that fanatical about my records. Adding the antistatic shouldn't be all that hard though....
 
i have a chance to buy a THORENS TD165 TURNTABLE. TABLE IN GOOD CONDITION and it INCLUDES AN EMPIRE 66 QE/X CARTRIDGE for $275 is that to much?
 
i have a chance to buy a THORENS TD165 TURNTABLE. TABLE IN GOOD CONDITION and it INCLUDES AN EMPIRE 66 QE/X CARTRIDGE for $275 is that to much?

That's a good price providing it's in good working and cosmetic condition. If it has scratches on the plinth or top plate - or the dust cover has problems, then I would pass.

You may need a new belt, so figure $30 for a genuine Thorens.
 
Mist importantly make sure the motor is silent and noise free. If you have a bad motor you will have a brick on your hands. They are obscenely expensive to replace...
 
Maybe wrong link? I wanted to know what hydro-dipping was so i clicked on the link and got a pair of Pioneer HPMs.
 
Dang! That's how I got married. I went hydro-dipping in a lake with a bunch of pals and girls, next thing you know - I say "I do". Most expensive dipping I ever had and she won't ever let me do it again!
 
Why are people dredging up old threads!!?? ;) 14 years ago! Correcting myself...the 165 does NOT have a smaller platter bearing shaft...it has a plastic composite inner platter...but the bearing shaft is still 10MM.
 
7 or 10mm weren't they?

See: https://www.theanalogdept.com/td_platter_bearings.htm where it states: TD165: commonly a resin sub-platter with 7mm spindle shaft, solid spherical tip but some have been found with zinc/10mm and some with zinc / 7mm and for variation: resin/10mm.

also: The TD166 most commonly, as with TD165, was equipped with a resin sub-platter, 7mm spindle shaft with solid spherical tip. But as seen below, there were variations.


Thought to be a cost shaving measure during the production run...

That said all three of mine are 10mm and I have yet to see a 7mm in person (even from when I lived in Lahr/Seelbach Germany where they were made back in the day) so could be a propogated myth for all I know - but then again you of all people for here in North America certainly should know;) Maybe a European thing on 50 Hz variants?
 
Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom