• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Thorens TD-165 motor in a TD-160? Will it work?

jimelee108

Member
Hello, I have a Thorens TD-160 turntable and the motors is dead. Can I use a motor from a TD-165 table for a replacement? There's a TD-165 motor on ebay I am considering.

Does anyone know? Thanks in advance.
 
Register to hide this ad
Is the TD-160 motor totally dead? Or is it just running slowly?

I had problems with mine, it was running slowly, something was in a bind. I drilled out the motor housing rivets, and replaced them with nuts/bolts/washers just slightly smaller in diameter than the holes I'd drilled. I was able to make minor adjustments in the housing to the point that the binding went away and the motor ran fine.
 
The TD-165 motor should be a direct replacement. The main differences between the 160 and 165 were the platter bearing and arm anti-skate.
 
Check the caps too. If they are bad or disconnected, the motor will just buzz instead of actually spinning. Caps are located under the cover where the power cord connects.
 
This is exactly a project that I am considering , the shaft on my parts TD 160 is bent , but I have a good motor in a parts 165 . Maybe make 1 good table from 2 parts tables
 
Back
Top Bottom