• Please note that Audiokarma will be offline briefly for updates early on Monday morning, September 28th.

Rega RP1 upgrade or replace

J A

Active Member
I got an RP1 maybe a month ago to replace an old Kenwood (Kd-5070) and I'm contemplating the next move. I see there are tons of upgrades you can do to this baseline Rega but I'm really wondering if I wouldn't be better off trying to sell or trade both of these and rolling that into an RP3 or a lower end used VPI (assuming I could do that for ~$1k) or something along those lines. Curious what the thoughts are on something like that?
 
Register to hide this ad
Why do you dislike about your current turntable that requires upgrading, or that a better cartridge cannot rectify? (you don't mention what cart you're running)
 
Fair question---Honest answer is I don't know. Just wondering if the sound could get better honestly with no real objective objection to note really. Just a fascination with "I wonder if this could sound even better"

Today I actually (for the first time) really took the time to align my speakers properly with the help of a few threads here and Youtube video or 2 and sounds better than I even imagined. Now it's just the question I noted above.

I suspect more info might be helpful. Not sure what all would play into this but my cartridge is a Shure m97xe
 
Fair question---Honest answer is I don't know. Just wondering if the sound could get better honestly with no real objective objection to note really. Just a fascination with "I wonder if this could sound even better"

Today I actually (for the first time) really took the time to align my speakers properly with the help of a few threads here and Youtube video or 2 and sounds better than I even imagined. Now it's just the question I noted above.
It's hard to recommend upgrades if you aren't finding any deficiencies in your set up. As you've discovered, proper speaker placement is one of the best "upgrades" one can make, and often goes ignored.

What cartridge are you using? I can probably recommend a more meaningful upgrade there, as there's really nothing "wrong" with your turntable, per se. We also don't know what phono preamp, amp or speakers you're using.

Just want to get a sense of what you're working with, so we can recommend the best places to put your money to get the most meaningful results. My feeling is the turntable is not it. And I'd hate to see you waste money.
 
I think I would like more clarity at the higher end---maybe above 1k on the spectrum. I just updated my post above with my cartridge but it's a Shure m97xe. I don't know enough to know specifically what I should improve but really just the lingering undefined question of what better might be.

Rest of the setup is:
Pre/Tuner - NAD Monitor Series 1700
Amp - HK870
Speakers - AR-93s
 
I think I would like more clarity at the higher end---maybe above 1k on the spectrum. I just updated my post above with my cartridge but it's a Shure m97xe. I don't know enough to know specifically what I should improve but really just the lingering undefined question of what better might be.
OK, cool. So the Shure you're using was a decent entry-level cartridge (they don't make phono cartridges anymore, unfortunately).

For more high-end clarity, I can't recommend moving to a microcline stylus enough. This may be the BEST upgrade you can make for not a lot of cash.

Audio Technica has two affordable options -- the VM95ML and the VMN540ML.

They will definitely brighten the top end, and will add a sense of clarity an elliptical stylus like the Shure just cannot match at all.
 
Excellent, thanks for the input. I realize the question was pretty vague but thanks for digging a bit as I'm relatively new to this.

Just a footnote I have the "stock" Ortofon OM5E. Perhaps I'll see how that sounds. While it came with the table I never listened to it with that cartridge.
 
Excellent, thanks for the input. I realize the question was pretty vague but thanks for digging a bit as I'm relatively new to this.

Just a footnote I have the "stock" Ortofon OM5E. Perhaps I'll see how that sounds. While it came with the table I never listened to it with that cartridge.
It's fine, nothing special, in my opinion. Another sub-$100 elliptical cartridge (just like the Shure) so it likely won't sound dramatically different than what you've got on there now.

My advice would be to explore the Microline options, and see how that works for you. I think you'll be very happy.
 
While I haven't done this myself as I don't use my M97xE very often, many people have upgraded this cartridge with an LP Gear Vividline or Jico SAS stylus, which are supposed to give significant improvements. They are pricey, but no more expensive than a cartridge upgrade.
 
While I haven't done this myself as I don't use my M97xE very often, many people have upgraded this cartridge with an LP Gear Vividline or Jico SAS stylus, which are supposed to give significant improvements. They are pricey, but no more expensive than a cartridge upgrade.
Also a very viable suggestion, yes!

A more advanced stylus on a cart you already own is definitely one way to go. The theme here is that a more advanced stylus shape, whether it's retro-fitted to your Shure or a brand-new cart, will likely get you the biggest upgrade in sound that you're looking for.
 
The OM5E won't necessarily give you a better sound but it will be a different sound. However, if you upgrade the stylus to the Stylus 20 (nude elliptical) it becomes a really good cartridge.
 
While I haven't done this myself as I don't use my M97xE very often, many people have upgraded this cartridge with an LP Gear Vividline or Jico SAS stylus, which are supposed to give significant improvements. They are pricey, but no more expensive than a cartridge upgrade.

I hadn't really thought about a stylus swap. For some reason I equated the particular sound to the cartridge itself but maybe I'll try this first. What does the stylus v the cartridge contribute to the sound (which is the bigger contributor?)
 
The stylus makes a pretty big difference to the sound, which is why people pay lots of money for stylus upgrades. Upgrading the stylus is likely to give you more detail and cleaner tracking, but can also affect the sound balance.
 
I hadn't really thought about a stylus swap. For some reason I equated the particular sound to the cartridge itself but maybe I'll try this first. What does the stylus v the cartridge contribute to the sound (which is the bigger contributor?)
That's a tough question. My opinion (others feel differently) is that at this price point, stylus shape is going to be the biggest factor in sound quality. I do find Audio-Technica carts to have a slightly brighter top end in general, and carts like those from Nagaoka more mellow regardless of what stylus is on them.

So while the cartridge definitely does have an impact on sound, my vote here would be that the stylus will yield a much more dramatic sound difference for you. The quality of the diamond cut, the way it's attached to the cantilever, the cantilever itself -- all these things I feel make a bigger contribution to the clarity of the sound, especially in this price range ($100-500 or so).

It'll also affect the tracking ability of the cart in general, as well as the ability to minimize sibilance and inner groove distortion.

Once I went to a Microline stylus shape, I never went back.
 
I should add that I have one concern about the RP1. I believe it has a fixed anti-skating value (of 2 or 2.5) and the headshell doesn't give much room for cartridge alignment. With these fancy stylus shapes like the ML and SAS, good alignment is important.
 
I should add that I have one concern about the RP1. I believe it has a fixed anti-skating value (of 2 or 2.5) and the headshell doesn't give much room for cartridge alignment. With these fancy stylus shapes like the ML and SAS, good alignment is important.
The new VM series from Audio Technica can be fitted and aligned with no issues. I can attest to this because I helped a friend recently with his Rega :)
 
Yes, the VM95 and VM500 series cartridges also track at 2g, which is handy if the anti-skating is fixed at 2 :)
 
I should add that I have one concern about the RP1. I believe it has a fixed anti-skating value (of 2 or 2.5) and the headshell doesn't give much room for cartridge alignment. With these fancy stylus shapes like the ML and SAS, good alignment is important.

I attached a photo I found online that shows a picture of a switch near the base of the tonearm (identical to my table). Embarrassingly I'm not 100% but I believe that's the anti-skate setting?
 

Attachments

  • 2V2A8894-1.jpg
    2V2A8894-1.jpg
    66.5 KB · Views: 23
I attached a photo I found online that shows a picture of a switch near the base of the tonearm (identical to my table). Embarrassingly I'm not 100% but I believe that's the anti-skate setting?
Yes, Rega's manuals may also refer to it as the bias setting or bias slider, but it's the same thing.
 
I think you could get a better cartridge a Ortofon Red in real nice and maybe a
change of speakers are in order. I see the anti-skate is set to three set it to 1.5
or 2 should be enough by the way where to you have your tracking force set to?
 
Back
Top Bottom