• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Rega RP1 upgrade or replace

How does it sound now? I've had my Planar 2 with AT95E cartridge for probably about 30 years now. I'm not using it currently, because I'm using a Linn right now. But the Rega will get swapped in when I feel like it, or if I set a system up in another room. But I've never really been interested in chasing "upgrades" for it.

Stock glass platter, stock felt mat, stock sub-platter, stock bearings, stock RB250 tonearm.

Lee.
 
How does it sound now? I've had my Planar 2 with AT95E cartridge for probably about 30 years now. I'm not using it currently, because I'm using a Linn right now. But the Rega will get swapped in when I feel like it, or if I set a system up in another room. But I've never really been interested in chasing "upgrades" for it.

Stock glass platter, stock felt mat, stock sub-platter, stock bearings, stock RB250 tonearm.

Lee.

Gave it one of my sons. I don't like a manual table. Like it to at least lift and shutoff at end of record.
He seems to like it very well. I thought it sounded very good.
 
Bought a table a month ago and already want to replace it? Did you buy it off the used market, or do you have return privileges?

There are a number of upgrades for the base Rega turntable that make sense, but by the time you total up the costs I am not sure it makes financial sense.

I would say decide what your goal is for analog playback, basically what level of table would satisfy you for the long haul and make that be your goal. Sell one of the tables, or return the RP1 if possible, and then build the audio kitty until you can afford what will really satisfy you.
 
Bought a table a month ago and already want to replace it? Did you buy it off the used market, or do you have return privileges?

There are a number of upgrades for the base Rega turntable that make sense, but by the time you total up the costs I am not sure it makes financial sense.

I would say decide what your goal is for analog playback, basically what level of table would satisfy you for the long haul and make that be your goal. Sell one of the tables, or return the RP1 if possible, and then build the audio kitty until you can afford what will really satisfy you.


I bought it off someone locally (for a very reasonable price) and honestly I don't dislike it and am not dissatisfied with it except probably my own perception that it's at the low end of "good stuff" and it sounds so good. Only reason I had even really contemplated replacing it is the opportunity to bundle the proceeds with those from the Kenwood and move into the tonearm/cartridge discussion which seems to be a different level of quality conversation. That at least implies a sound improvement at the maybe $1k-1.5k level (particularly in the very good used market). Once at that level I think I'd be satisfied because the returns above that seem to become dependent on so many other things.

That said, I am (mostly) new to this so please correct any misperceptions that I have. I am entirely here to learn from you guys and appreciate the graciousness of everyone sharing their time and knowledge. Could not have had a better experience so far.

Just a short edit:. My goals really boil down to trying to get to the point where the marginal benefit/marginal cost is the highest, (almost wherever that point is cost-wise) for the bigger ticket stuff and then tweaking from there. I also understand there's a largely subjective element in there of how it will sound to me but, reality is some of you guys have heard everything (maybe literally in a case or 2) so can at least steer me in the right direction (or away from the wrong one)
 
Last edited:
I am also encouraged that no one has said that the KD-5070 might be a better table. Makes me more comfortable with the idea of just moving on from it which I can then roll into upgrading a separate piece of equipment (might even fund this stylus/cartridge upgrade)
sorry but it actually is the better table, the automatic version of the KD 550 "The Rock" their TOTL deck at the time without arm as the KD500.

The KD500 sans arm will usually be sporting a boutique arm of the day like the Grace G707 on mine.
20190428_112137.jpg

The base for this table is outstanding, how much arm do you want to put on it?


that said, if patient you could land a Well Tempered Lab Turntable for a song, I've seen four sell for around $800 in the past 12months. These retailed for $3495 in 1985 dollars and worth every penny, easily my best deck.
20200927_164417.jpg
 
Last edited:
I would say, spend more time with your Rega. Buying and selling gear is fun, but you only really know what you want after living with it for a while. Why not kick back and listen to music for a while, and then decide later if you want something better?
 
I bought it off someone locally (for a very reasonable price) and honestly I don't dislike it and am not dissatisfied with it except probably my own perception that it's at the low end of "good stuff" and it sounds so good. Only reason I had even really contemplated replacing it is the opportunity to bundle the proceeds with those from the Kenwood and move into the tonearm/cartridge discussion which seems to be a different level of quality conversation. That at least implies a sound improvement at the maybe $1k-1.5k level (particularly in the very good used market). Once at that level I think I'd be satisfied because the returns above that seem to become dependent on so many other things.

That said, I am (mostly) new to this so please correct any misperceptions that I have. I am entirely here to learn from you guys and appreciate the graciousness of everyone sharing their time and knowledge. Could not have had a better experience so far.

Just a short edit:. My goals really boil down to trying to get to the point where the marginal benefit/marginal cost is the highest, (almost wherever that point is cost-wise) for the bigger ticket stuff and then tweaking from there. I also understand there's a largely subjective element in there of how it will sound to me but, reality is some of you guys have heard everything (maybe literally in a case or 2) so can at least steer ke in the right direction (or away from the wrong one)

Thanks for the additional information, it fills in the story of how you came to be where you are. Yes there are certainly higher quality tables than the Rega or the Kenwood. This is a vintage site and there is a lot of love for the classic Kenwood direct drives, however its not an opinion I share, so my thoughts will go against the flow of what is generally accepted here at AK. Take what I say for what it is, just an opinion.

The heart and soul of a turntable is the quality of the bearing, and a motor that operates smoothly with as little vibration as possible. The whole goal of the table is to minimize resonances from the operation of a mechanical device, as the cartridge will pick up those rogue signals and it will compromise the information the stylus pulls off the record. Now motors do not have to be huge and have tons of torque, but rather just need to keep a steady speed with minimal vibration. A heavy platter will actually work in conjunction with a smaller motor to create a very smooth drive system. The question is which drive system do you think works the best for you? Belt drive, direct drive, or idler drive?

Then the quality of arm comes into the discussion. In many cases you will find that the integrated arms on a table can be of middling quality. The arm can be a cacophony of resonances due to all its sub parts and bearings. Getting a quality arm can be expensive, especially when dealing in the arm only market. That is the calling card of your Rega, a good quality arm at a reasonable price. It is what outshines the rest of the table, and its limitations are its sub platter which can often be noted to be a slightly incorrect circumference and result in incorrect speed.

You mentioned VPI and the used market. Personally I would save money until you can take on a deal such as this one. Yes its more than you budget, but there are some other alternatives also.

https://www.audiogon.com/listings/l...table-very-good-condition-see-pics-turntables

This one is sans arm. By the time you find the arm it probably gets to be as expensive as the one above.

https://www.usaudiomart.com/details...platter-hrx-motor-no-arm-immaculate-aries-ii/

If you are content to listen to one of these tables, keep it around and sell the other and build up the audio kitty for a table that meets your bar for performance and quality.
 
that said, if patient you could land a Well Tempered Lab Turntable for a song, I've seen four sell for around $800 in the past 12months. These retailed for $3495 in 1985 dollars and worth every penny, easily my best deck.

Wow, that's a beautiful TT. Really cool looking. Also, that kenwood is spotless, you're making me think i should clean mine up a bit!

Thanks for the additional information, it fills in the story of how you came to be where you are. Yes there are certainly higher quality tables than the Rega or the Kenwood. This is a vintage site and there is a lot of love for the classic Kenwood direct drives, however its not an opinion I share, so my thoughts will go against the flow of what is generally accepted here at AK. Take what I say for what it is, just an opinion.

The heart and soul of a turntable is the quality of the bearing, and a motor that operates smoothly with as little vibration as possible. The whole goal of the table is to minimize resonances from the operation of a mechanical device, as the cartridge will pick up those rogue signals and it will compromise the information the stylus pulls off the record. Now motors do not have to be huge and have tons of torque, but rather just need to keep a steady speed with minimal vibration. A heavy platter will actually work in conjunction with a smaller motor to create a very smooth drive system. The question is which drive system do you think works the best for you? Belt drive, direct drive, or idler drive?

Then the quality of arm comes into the discussion. In many cases you will find that the integrated arms on a table can be of middling quality. The arm can be a cacophony of resonances due to all its sub parts and bearings. Getting a quality arm can be expensive, especially when dealing in the arm only market. That is the calling card of your Rega, a good quality arm at a reasonable price. It is what outshines the rest of the table, and its limitations are its sub platter which can often be noted to be a slightly incorrect circumference and result in incorrect speed.

You mentioned VPI and the used market. Personally I would save money until you can take on a deal such as this one. Yes its more than you budget, but there are some other alternatives also.

https://www.audiogon.com/listings/l...table-very-good-condition-see-pics-turntables

This one is sans arm. By the time you find the arm it probably gets to be as expensive as the one above.

https://www.usaudiomart.com/details...platter-hrx-motor-no-arm-immaculate-aries-ii/

If you are content to listen to one of these tables, keep it around and sell the other and build up the audio kitty for a table that meets your bar for performance and quality.

Thanks for sharing that. That is an impressive music machine. I think I'll likely be somewhere in the middle in terms of approach. I think I'll do either a cart or stylus now, try to get my partner to give a blind test of the 2 tables, decide which one to keep and maximize it's current condition (within reason), then enjoy for a while until I can take a big step up to something like you showed. And who knows, I may have better gear in other categories by then to truly maximize it.
 
Thanks for the additional information, it fills in the story of how you came to be where you are. Yes there are certainly higher quality tables than the Rega or the Kenwood. This is a vintage site and there is a lot of love for the classic Kenwood direct drives, however its not an opinion I share, so my thoughts will go against the flow of what is generally accepted here at AK. Take what I say for what it is, just an opinion.

The heart and soul of a turntable is the quality of the bearing, and a motor that operates smoothly with as little vibration as possible. The whole goal of the table is to minimize resonances from the operation of a mechanical device, as the cartridge will pick up those rogue signals and it will compromise the information the stylus pulls off the record. Now motors do not have to be huge and have tons of torque, but rather just need to keep a steady speed with minimal vibration. A heavy platter will actually work in conjunction with a smaller motor to create a very smooth drive system. The question is which drive system do you think works the best for you? Belt drive, direct drive, or idler drive?

Then the quality of arm comes into the discussion. In many cases you will find that the integrated arms on a table can be of middling quality. The arm can be a cacophony of resonances due to all its sub parts and bearings. Getting a quality arm can be expensive, especially when dealing in the arm only market. That is the calling card of your Rega, a good quality arm at a reasonable price. It is what outshines the rest of the table, and its limitations are its sub platter which can often be noted to be a slightly incorrect circumference and result in incorrect speed.

You mentioned VPI and the used market. Personally I would save money until you can take on a deal such as this one. Yes its more than you budget, but there are some other alternatives also.

https://www.audiogon.com/listings/l...table-very-good-condition-see-pics-turntables

This one is sans arm. By the time you find the arm it probably gets to be as expensive as the one above.

https://www.usaudiomart.com/details...platter-hrx-motor-no-arm-immaculate-aries-ii/

If you are content to listen to one of these tables, keep it around and sell the other and build up the audio kitty for a table that meets your bar for performance and quality.

^^^^ I completely agree with the above opinion. I would suggest though that the arm on the RP1 is not up to the standards of the ones on the Planar 2 or better. That said, I still stand by my suggestion to live with the Rega long enough to understand what areas you want to see improved, so you don't waste a lot of resources with lateral moves.
 
Back
Top Bottom