Here's mine. Plinth was made from a cutout scrap of 2" slate from a Garrard 301. Enjoy the table. Good stuff.
Jim
Breadhead that is incredible! Notice a big improvement isolating the tonearm from the motor like that?
Here's mine. Plinth was made from a cutout scrap of 2" slate from a Garrard 301. Enjoy the table. Good stuff.
Jim
Here's mine. Plinth was made from a cutout scrap of 2" slate from a Garrard 301. Enjoy the table. Good stuff.
Jim
They were noisy as a freight train when new and the Empire tone arms with their troublesome head shell mounting platform were very undependable. You'd be much better off with an Empire 598 TT with an Shure SME 3009 tone arm. from the same period. The Rek-o-kut was used by small radio stations but they had a 50 or 60hz filter in the phono pre-amp before the signal ever went to the broadcast mixer.
I’ve never had that experience with any of my 3 ROK K33’s, but they’re the belt driven ones. As you might guess, I’m biased away from idlers because of the rumble.
Thanks for that advert. I studied it a bit more and noticed all except the rondine delux used the same motor, with the “custom built hysteresis synchronous motor” in only the rondine deluxe, which gets the better s/n. All the others indicate a “ new design hysteresis synchronous motor” and when they do, the idlers are about the same as the belt driven ones. Also supporting the theory that its the motor is that the rondine with the induction motor is significantly worse than all the others. It appears idler vs belt does not make a difference, but a motor does.
i didn’t have to replace my belt to quiet it but on a rim drive, i would be surprised if someone wouldn’t have to replace/rebuild the idler to get it useable (at least that has been the case with rim drives i’ve been exposed to. No rondines, but i have spent some time around a lenco and a stanton rimdrive - which i still own mostly because that mag levitations is neat and I’m a sucker for unique)
and i really don’t have a reference back to my k-33h’s stock, so maybe if i went back, i wouldn’t be so happy.
That is truly beautiful! You don't need to be a pro woodworker to create a plinth base for that thing. It appears it already has a flat base as part of it, or you could use it as a template to cut up a piece of plywood, and after finishing it, bolt it to a simple wood base that you could also build yourself. If necessary it could be as simple as the wooden square that holds up the early AR-XA's. You could finish the wood or paint it. I have to confess that paint might look cool with that gold. But so would poplar or walnut.View attachment 2188563 View attachment 2188565 View attachment 2188021 View attachment 2188022 View attachment 2188023 View attachment 2188024 View attachment 2188025 View attachment 2188021 View attachment 2188022 View attachment 2188023 View attachment 2188024 View attachment 2188025
Some pictures.
Appears to be in extremely good condition. I have asked the seller to see if he can remove and provide me the table board to use as a template. Hopefully he can get it out of the console.
Have to say I was a bit surprised to get a box with all the pieces when I arrived to pick it up, instead of it still mounted on the table board in the first picture.
Hopefully this was a great find after I get a plinth built for it. It came with two headshells. Stylus look useable to my naked eye. Seems I bought another project.