• Please note that Audiokarma will be offline briefly for updates early on Monday morning, September 28th.

Remember how we said cassettes weren't coming back?

One of my last decks was a Atelier Braun C2/3 and it was a great deck. Heavy as hell for a slimline front loader

They were rare then even if you worked at ADS. I don't think more than one pallet ever came in.

It was absolutely a great deck though. IIRC, it was the last deck Braun designed and the only one w/ Dolby HX Pro. It gave the C4 a run for its money on playback.
 
I see some criticizing cassettes due to frequency bandwidth, whereas I think wow and flutter the more problematic factor. Even some of the better decks lacked the speed stability of a decent TT. That said, I still like cassettes and play one every great while.
 
And how many metal tapes are out there? Decks that can handle metal tapes? And how about the lousy signal to noise ratio? Going from track 2 to track 12? Tapes breaking or getting bound up in the deck? Let's face it, you've gotta have some other reason to want cassettes these days, and it ain't high fidelity.

"Fidelity" has far less to do with the hobby than most people would prefer to admit. If you have a bone to pick with cassette's fidelity, you may as well go pick a fight with the vinyl fans as well.
 
I stupidly got rid of two printer paper boxes full of classic heavy metal and have since come across a Nakamichi 505. Damn the luck !

Tweeter, Etc. was a regional hi-fi chain of note in the 80s and ran a TV spot featuring an RX. It was a house party w/ everyone dancing, side A ends and all stop.

It did its cassette flip/flop and everyone resumed dancing. It really was a great visual while also summing up the Friday night party scene of the 80s.

dca04a7a34bcb4aab090ff94461b1da3.gif
 
OK, as a result of this thread, I am playing a tape on my B&O 9500. Sounds great to me. It is a Maxell XLII recorded from a computer using my Nakamichi RX-505. I like to leave the tape door open on the B&O so I can see the tape hubs turn. Used Dolby-B.
 
And how many metal tapes are out there? Decks that can handle metal tapes? And how about the lousy signal to noise ratio? Going from track 2 to track 12? Tapes breaking or getting bound up in the deck? Let's face it, you've gotta have some other reason to want cassettes these days, and it ain't high fidelity.
Why you hatin on Cassettes bro?
 
Well, as much as we put the final nail in coffin of the cassette, I had NPR on this weekend (Friday maybe?) and guess what? A story about how cassettes are making a comeback. All the same language I was hearing about LP was in the package they aired.

Maybe they will come back!
So far as sound quality goes, it's now a race to the bottom. What next? Wire recordings?
 
As much as I'd like to add a deck to my system, most likely I won't. Other than listening/taping where it is with my main setup, no other place to listen to it. So if I'm listening to something, I'll keep it vinyl.
 
Why you hatin on Cassettes bro?

Yes, it seems that is what my intention was, but it actually isn't. I posted my thoughts as to why cassettes are being fondly recalled from the discard pile of history, and several defended the sound quality and specs of cassettes. I tried to point out the fallacy of such efforts and in so doing appeared to be a hater. But actually I'm a former tape guy, and they got me through the 80's just fine.

I couldn't go back though, cds and now music files coupled with modern audio gear sound more life like than anything from the 80's in my view. But carry on, I won't rain on your parade any more!
 
Yes, it seems that is what my intention was, but it actually isn't. I posted my thoughts as to why cassettes are being fondly recalled from the discard pile of history, and several defended the sound quality and specs of cassettes. I tried to point out the fallacy of such efforts and in so doing appeared to be a hater. But actually I'm a former tape guy, and they got me through the 80's just fine.

I couldn't go back though, cds and now music files coupled with modern audio gear sound more life like than anything from the 80's in my view. But carry on, I won't rain on your parade any more!
As the bard said,"Into each life a little rain must fall" er somethin like that.Hey I play cds 75% of the time albums 20 and tapes 5 give or take.
 
So for some bizarre reason , and this is not a joke, I have noticed a few mentions of 8 tracks lately. First I saw something about a band releasing a 8 track box set, which I assumed was a joke , then I've seen two other little blips about 8 tracks....... WTF

I am predicting it here first, 8 tracks may be the next revival. Honestly I cant believe I actually had to type that last sentence.

What is the world coming to?
 
I have three cassette decks hooked up throughout the house, two mid-fi Yamahas and one mid-fi Sony. You could make the argument that if CDs hadn't come along cassettes would still have a place in the hearts and minds of the average audio enthusiast. Back in the day I had a Yamaha K-960 with dbx record and playback built in. It far surpassed Dolby in quality / dynamic range. And one of my local thrifts sells 10 cassettes for a buck. I don't mind taking the time and digging through their inventory for something that I might not have on LP or CD.
 
Cassettes won't be making a return here. After kidding myself for years saying I'm going to play them and not doing it I sold my entire collection of several hundred cassettes this winter along with my remaining 3 decks. I don't miss them in the least and I do like the fact that I have one less source to hook up and no physical media to store anymore. Kudos to the folks that do keep the cassette forum alive though as I needed someone to unload mine on:)
 
I have three cassette decks hooked up throughout the house, two mid-fi Yamahas and one mid-fi Sony. You could make the argument that if CDs hadn't come along cassettes would still have a place in the hearts and minds of the average audio enthusiast. Back in the day I had a Yamaha K-960 with dbx record and playback built in. It far surpassed Dolby in quality / dynamic range. And one of my local thrifts sells 10 cassettes for a buck. I don't mind taking the time and digging through their inventory for something that I might not have on LP or CD.
dbx's broadband compander was also far more prone to artifacts than any flavor of Dolby NR.
 
Back
Top Bottom