• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Remember how we said cassettes weren't coming back?

I hear cylinders are next. :)

Well, sure, but all wax, or wax-coated cardboard?

I find that wax-coated cardboard can be quite constrictive of the upper midrange airiness of many female vocalists, while the mid-bass presence is often inordinately exaggerated to an often fatiguing effect. YMMV
 
Well, sure, but all wax, or wax-coated cardboard?

I find that wax-coated cardboard can be quite constrictive of the upper midrange airiness of many female vocalists, while the mid-bass presence is often inordinately exaggerated to an often fatiguing effect. YMMV

You have to cryo them and then they get absolutely brittle highs.

But seriously, the only reason I have cassettes is because they are fun. I think most people are surprised they don't sound horrible because what they remember wasn't very good. As I think i said earlier, I was surprised at how good they sounded on a player that is light years better than anything I ever owned in the early 80's (Walkman and boombox) but I should clarify that they don't sound as good as a CD, LP or FLAC. At least not the mid-fi players I have.

AS long as I can buy them by the pound and I don't have to fix the players I have (I have one that's in rotation and the other as a spare) I'll listen. Also I love the faces of my passengers when I open up the center console and that row of cassettes is sitting there. It makes for a fun ride! Just seeing Combat Rock on cassette makes everyone in the car smile!
 
I think they are fun also....

Fun because I can put together a selection of music for driving around where I live and driving in the winter is just boring. But I am lucky enough to have a Mercedes cassette player in the car and a dual-well Pioneer cassette deck that I bought new and have hardly used it. So I ordered some new BASF from a website in Canada and bought an Onkyo C 7030 which is their new CD player with a sound that comes from heaven. Then, I have allot of CD's so I put together early rock and early Motown cassettes together. All I can say is if your set-up is not right, so too the sound coming from a recorded cassette. But I will say that the digital origin of the signal, of the DAC in the CD player made all the difference in the world. Getting into cassettes is the cheapest way to go because you can find a 90's cassette player in a thrift shop for less than twenty bones and bring it to a shop to get it inspected and repaired for under a hundred. It's the learning about a stereo equipment set up to get a signal clean enough to record. Just putting a record on the platter and giving it a spin doesn't cut it....
 
Last edited:
I wish ya'll would just shut the heck up about cassettes and the decks. Nothing to see here, move along folks.

BTW dual well decks are where it's at. Everything else is just dreck, terrible, poo, ...trust me.

SERIOUSLY
 
I wasn't aware they did audio cassette; I bought more than my share of videotape from them at my local Kroger store in the late 80's/early 90's. They always seemed lesser quality.

BASF literally Invented audio tape. Back in the 1930's. When the AEG Magnetophon was invented.
 
Full disclosure: I didn't read the entire thread, and I'm not going to.

I read an article in a local tabloid yesterday that made me laugh. As a sidebar to a larger article discussing the comeback of said item(s) it was explained how one could hook a cassette player/deck up to a PC and actually make a digital copy of the tape being played.

Now think about that. While there were some very good cassettes (Maxel Metal for instance) and players, on average the recorders and pre-recorded tapes made/played an inferior copy of an LP (or CD for that matter). And you won't make me believe that what's being sold today is the equal of an early/mid '80s good quality deck/metal tape. So we now take a mid-to-low quality source, digitize it. and turn it into what? An mp3??

I had and used a very good quality cassette recorder (and tapes) back then because it was useful, saved wear and tear on my LP's and I could make a mix. But since the advent of the CD burner? No thanks.

Cheers,
James
 
I didn't think they were fun. Having to fast forward/rewind to find one song, glitchy auto reverse, complete malfunction resulting tape spewing all over your dash. Meh. The hipsters can have my old cassettes. I won't need them.
 
I didn't think they were fun. Having to fast forward/rewind to find one song, glitchy auto reverse, complete malfunction resulting tape spewing all over your dash. Meh. The hipsters can have my old cassettes. I won't need them.

LOL If the hipsters want my players, they can have them for $2100 each. The paper they are wrapped in is organic.
 
I collect all audio formats - records, cassettes, 8-tracks, and CDs. Records are by far my favorite, but I have a special nostalgia for tapes because I was in high school in the 80s. I love cassettes and now is a great time to buy them. The prices aren't too inflated yet (as with records). Average cost is .50 cents to $3 depending on the artist. And you can get old cassette players for $20 at Goodwill. Learn how to replace a few belts and you're in business. It's not really that easy and some cassette deck refurbishments have truly tested my patients, but's it's a fun hobby.

Why do I love cassettes? Obviously the nostalgia, they look cool, like records the inserts with cassettes vary from country to country, you have all different types to play with (Normal, Chrome, Metal) and then there's the different noise reductions (Dolby, DBX). I have DBX tapes! All right, DBX is not my favorite, but still fun. And then there's the availability of bootleg live concerts - some are really high quality soundboard recordings. I just bought a bootleg 1989 The Who, Live at Radio City Music Hall, Tommy - for $1 on a Chrome tape at a local record store. It sounded great!

Whenever I tell anyone I collect cassette tapes the first thing they say is, "Oh cassettes were terrible, aren't they always getting jammed up and aren't you always rolling the tape back in with a pencil...." No, practically never, unless it's on a cassette deck I'm in the middle of rebuilding and testing. And no because I play tapes on high quality decks, not cheap Walkmans. And when it did happen, it was usually because I stuck a tape into a car player after it had been sitting in a car at the beach and was 110 degrees inside the car. Rare, not common.

Here's a fun game. Go into a Goodwill or any thrift store or used music store and buy 20 records, 20 tapes, 20 CDs, and 20 8-tracks (if you can find them). Go home and test them out and I'm willing to bet here's what you'll find:

20 records - They'll all play, some will have a lot of surface noise, some will be great after a good cleaning, you'll probably have no skips, and again, all will be playable.

20 cassettes - They'll all be playable too, though you may have to replace or glue back on a few felt pressure pads, But all will play. In my experience, on average, 1 out of every 50 cassettes is hopeless and will not turn, or will squeak loudly, or will sound garbled and distorted (more likely). That's a pretty good failure rate on obsolete magnetic tape. And that's for tapes that were probably mis-handled and stored in extreme cold and heat, thrown on car seats, and in back packs. And the cassette deck matters, too. Play a very poor condition tape in a late 90s Technics deck and it might not work. Try it out in an early 80s Technics M-series or RS-B100 and it will likely play just fine. Same with my budget Nak - it can play just about anything.

20 CDs - "digital will last forever" somehow falls short. You buy 20 used CDs and I guarantee you'll have problems with a lot of them, unless you have a polishing kit to fix scratches and even that won't save everything. Probably the second worst failure rate because they were semi-portable, we left them in our cars, we didn't store them properly when not in use, and we treated them roughly.

20 8 tracks - Ok, they often won't work as they'll almost always need to have the pressure pads replaced and they're not easy to open (often required to properly replace a foam pad). Once you replace the pads, it will probably play (provided you didn't mess it up taking the case apart). Worst failure rate, but again, due to the pads.
 
I collect all audio formats - ..
20 records - ...
20 cassettes - ...
20 CDs -...
20 8 tracks - ...

Good post Mark, well written. And you bring me around to saying this...
In spite of my admittedly negative post earlier, to anyone using cassettes, or tape in general. Go for it! After all, it's your hobby, your money, your time, your interest and your life.

Cheers,
James
 
Well, as much as we put the final nail in coffin of the cassette, I had NPR on this weekend (Friday maybe?) and guess what? A story about how cassettes are making a comeback. All the same language I was hearing about LP was in the package they aired.

Maybe they will come back!

I never said it. Everything that dies comes back.
 
I could give a crap to anyone on here that disses the cassette format.....don't buy them keep them cheaper for me. I've found every LP I couldn't find on cassette for usually 50 cents. Played on my Nakamichi or my Sony ES player they all sound fantastic. Str8 analog, smooth sound, and happy listening. Diss the format after you've owned a quality deck and wasn't happy. Pointing out ff or rwd is the equivalent of moving the needle and is pointless.
 
I didn't think they were fun. Having to fast forward/rewind to find one song, glitchy auto reverse, complete malfunction resulting tape spewing all over your dash. Meh. The hipsters can have my old cassettes. I won't need them.

I'll take them. Auto reverse is the equivalent of saying "vinyls." LOL
 
Last edited:
Cassette Singles
I will say I never really understood the cassette singles. I have one from "The Cure" that I found at Goodwill that I keep just so I can one day say, "hey kids, look at this big tape, it has just two songs on it!" Those never appealed to me to me and I think that was the general consensus.

New Cassettes in Stores
Recently, the number of NEW cassettes for sale at record stores is exploding. Well, it went from none to dozens or even hundreds at some stores. I was really surprised to see any new ones. I travel all over the US for work and last week in Austin I saw hundreds of NEW cassettes from small and local bands. It makes sense that tapes appeal to those artists. Retro and cool to the kids. Plus it's all about marketing because now they have a physical tape that reminds them of the band (and reminds them to play it). I have artists in my iTunes library that I don't even remembering buying... or liking. But if it's sitting on a shelf - you see it, other people see it. And some stores are selling new cassettes of classic albums - and by classic I mean like Nirvana - Nevermind. That tape is for sale in every Urban Outfitters and it's not cheap.

I was wondering how are the kids playing these? Well, often these store are selling cheap USB walkman-type devices. I can't imagine they're very good. It's the novelty of it.

But again, great marketing for local bands. I remember buying a cassette that came in a white fur pouch (we called it "The Fur Tape") from a local band "Stained Rug Theory" out of Providence, RI or New Bedford, MA area. That was 25 years ago - I still remember it... and I still have it, because it was such a great marketing gimmick. And it still plays fine. I loaded it onto my computer just in case the tape dies cause I'm sure no one else has it. Some crazy experimental stuff, but what else would you expect from fur packaging?
 
I collect all audio formats - records, cassettes, 8-tracks, and CDs. Records are by far my favorite, but I have a special nostalgia for tapes because I was in high school in the 80s. I love cassettes and now is a great time to buy them. The prices aren't too inflated yet (as with records). Average cost is .50 cents to $3 depending on the artist. And you can get old cassette players for $20 at Goodwill. Learn how to replace a few belts and you're in business. It's not really that easy and some cassette deck refurbishments have truly tested my patients, but's it's a fun hobby.

Why do I love cassettes? Obviously the nostalgia, they look cool, like records the inserts with cassettes vary from country to country, you have all different types to play with (Normal, Chrome, Metal) and then there's the different noise reductions (Dolby, DBX). I have DBX tapes! All right, DBX is not my favorite, but still fun. And then there's the availability of bootleg live concerts - some are really high quality soundboard recordings. I just bought a bootleg 1989 The Who, Live at Radio City Music Hall, Tommy - for $1 on a Chrome tape at a local record store. It sounded great!

Whenever I tell anyone I collect cassette tapes the first thing they say is, "Oh cassettes were terrible, aren't they always getting jammed up and aren't you always rolling the tape back in with a pencil...." No, practically never, unless it's on a cassette deck I'm in the middle of rebuilding and testing. And no because I play tapes on high quality decks, not cheap Walkmans. And when it did happen, it was usually because I stuck a tape into a car player after it had been sitting in a car at the beach and was 110 degrees inside the car. Rare, not common.

Here's a fun game. Go into a Goodwill or any thrift store or used music store and buy 20 records, 20 tapes, 20 CDs, and 20 8-tracks (if you can find them). Go home and test them out and I'm willing to bet here's what you'll find:

20 records - They'll all play, some will have a lot of surface noise, some will be great after a good cleaning, you'll probably have no skips, and again, all will be playable.

20 cassettes - They'll all be playable too, though you may have to replace or glue back on a few felt pressure pads, But all will play. In my experience, on average, 1 out of every 50 cassettes is hopeless and will not turn, or will squeak loudly, or will sound garbled and distorted (more likely). That's a pretty good failure rate on obsolete magnetic tape. And that's for tapes that were probably mis-handled and stored in extreme cold and heat, thrown on car seats, and in back packs. And the cassette deck matters, too. Play a very poor condition tape in a late 90s Technics deck and it might not work. Try it out in an early 80s Technics M-series or RS-B100 and it will likely play just fine. Same with my budget Nak - it can play just about anything.

20 CDs - "digital will last forever" somehow falls short. You buy 20 used CDs and I guarantee you'll have problems with a lot of them, unless you have a polishing kit to fix scratches and even that won't save everything. Probably the second worst failure rate because they were semi-portable, we left them in our cars, we didn't store them properly when not in use, and we treated them roughly.

20 8 tracks - Ok, they often won't work as they'll almost always need to have the pressure pads replaced and they're not easy to open (often required to properly replace a foam pad). Once you replace the pads, it will probably play (provided you didn't mess it up taking the case apart). Worst failure rate, but again, due to the pads.

I am actually finding that save for a few outliers, cassettes are pretty robust over time. And out of hundreds, over 90% of the used ones I have acquired and my old ones, the reliability and durability of them has been amazing. My Technics M202 has been a very nice sounding machine which does an excellent job with recording and reproduction. And it has given less trouble than many a CD player I've lived with and the discs.
 
Back
Top Bottom