• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Renovation of my KLH 17's is complete (long)

I don't know. Tried different browsers. Tried right clicking into another tab but get a load error.
Tried on my phone but jpg links are broken there as well. Its showing as a security issue on my end to load the photos and I'm not puter savvy enough to figure it out I guess. Its not even allowing me to copy the photo link on the thread.
My pictures are still up, if that helps
Post in thread 'Renovation of my KLH 17's is complete (long)'
https://audiokarma.org/forums/index...klh-17s-is-complete-long.102176/post-11733587
 
I was very happy to pick up a pair of KLH Seventeens at the local Goodwill a few weeks ago for $12. I thought those days were about over!
One tweeter doesn't work, but I'm guessing it's the crossover based on reading the extensive KLH17 threads here.
You guys have covered this topic very thoroughly - I can't imagine I'll run into anything that you haven't posted pictures and how-tos for already, but if I have any questions, this is definitely the right place!
 
For a guy who is not handy and rarely finishes anything, this thread helped me to have a different experience. I found a pair of these speakers in the basement of my house when I bought it back in 2018. I connected them to my Technics receiver and got scratchy distorted noise. I tucked them away because I had the memory from my youth of KLH being the speaker to have. Then I stumbled across this thread. All I can say is Thank You. They sound beautiful. Now I have to figure out what is wrong with my receiver which only works about every tenth time I turn it on. LOL
 
Hi All,

Just picked up a pair of 17's. I am ordering the crossover components. Can anyone guide me wrt the surrounds? Here are the pics. I want to understand a bit better if I need to re-seal these. Also, seems like vintage-ar doesn't have the sealant listed. Any idea how to source it?

p.s. Can't open the original images of the rebuild. Anyone know how?

Thanks!

EDIT: Answered my own question with the re-sealing. The woofer pop's right back with no delay. Need to do some finger painting :D
 

Attachments

  • IMG_0123.png
    IMG_0123.png
    850.9 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_0119.png
    IMG_0119.png
    860.4 KB · Views: 17
Last edited:
I just resealed the woofers on a pair of KLH 17's using Roy C's re-sealant ( @RoyC ).
Did 2 thin coats (let first coat dry about 8 hours) on the cloth woofer surrounds and one thin coat on the caps (but still likely put a little too much on lol).

I would suggest using rubber gloves and wearing a mask if your sensitive to strong odors. I did this in the garage to avoid dust and bugs. The odor dissipates pretty quickly though. The sealant remains tacky. Roy and I joked it reminded me of building models when I was a kid :). There is more than enough sealant to do a few pairs of woofers.

Tip: The KLH logo's are screw in and a putty knife is the perfect tool for prying the grille's off.

The woofer cones return more slowly when pushed inwards when sealed.

After drying overnight first listen, bass is tighter but deep, everything perhaps a bit smoother and balanced overall. Subtle but just more uniform now with less creaks and moans from age (unlike me lol :biggrin: My son in law remarked holy sh*te listen to that low end! (on Ray Browns bass).

The 17's also play louder with less volume which makes sense now that they are sealed.

Roy C @RoyC was a pleasure to deal with answering my many questions and quickly shipping out the product. He is very knowledgeable on KLH speakers. I was contemplating replacing the driver gaskets next but they seem fine so don't fix it if it ain't broke maybe ? I will be doing this to a pair of 6's in the future as well to compare to the 17's. The 17 midrange is warm and alluring, perhaps the 6's rock a little bit more ? Might be a interesting stack.

PXL_20240716_232923775.jpg
Restored McIntosh Mac 1700 Receiver, Elac Miracord 50HII/Shure M-55E, KLH 17 (resealed), Schiit Modius Dac, MacIntosh MacBook Music Server (Audirvana, Spotify, You Tube)
 
Last edited:
Nice looking system and the speakers turned out well. I laughed when I thought about putting too much sealant on the woofers. I did exactly that on my first pair. What receiver do you have in this photo? It looks like a McIntosh, but I don't know their receivers, only amps, preamps, tuners, etc.
 
Nice looking system and the speakers turned out well. I laughed when I thought about putting too much sealant on the woofers. I did exactly that on my first pair. What receiver do you have in this photo? It looks like a McIntosh, but I don't know their receivers, only amps, preamps, tuners, etc.
Thanks! I gave the cabs a good rub with Lemon oil as well.
It's a good sounding, affordable, semi retirement system that lets me still get the vinyl I want.

1967 Restored McIntosh Mac 1700, 40w/Ch
manual

Henry Kloss really designed some nice sounding speakers that still hold up well today with a little love!
 
Last edited:
I have 3-4 different models of early KLH speakers, including the 17s, 21s, and the others I don't remember. I like the solid wood cabinets and I love the sound. I have a few early AR's and other brands but prefer the KLH speakers. I have restored a couple of the KLH models, but don't remember which other than the 17s. I purchased some extra woofers and tweeters for KLH when I was restoring them. Tucked away in a closet upstairs. If you rebuild some more and are needing some speakers, look me up. I might be able to help you. I recently turned 70 and I just don't have the stamina to do as much as I once did. Someone gave me some EPC speaker cabinets a while back, and I have yet to start restoring them. They have speakers on two faces of the cabinets, and some of the speakers are missing. So, it will be a full rebuild. Not sure what the crossovers are going to be like. Have you ever heard them?
 
I have 3-4 different models of early KLH speakers, including the 17s, 21s, and the others I don't remember. I like the solid wood cabinets and I love the sound. I have a few early AR's and other brands but prefer the KLH speakers. I have restored a couple of the KLH models, but don't remember which other than the 17s. I purchased some extra woofers and tweeters for KLH when I was restoring them. Tucked away in a closet upstairs. If you rebuild some more and are needing some speakers, look me up. I might be able to help you. I recently turned 70 and I just don't have the stamina to do as much as I once did. Someone gave me some EPC speaker cabinets a while back, and I have yet to start restoring them. They have speakers on two faces of the cabinets, and some of the speakers are missing. So, it will be a full rebuild. Not sure what the crossovers are going to be like. Have you ever heard them?
@Couldbfishin do you mean EPI Speakers perhaps ? (they are very nice, rubber surrounds and are supported!). If not, I am not familiar with EPC.

I just want to listen to music now and do some fishin' like you! :biggrin:
 
Last edited:
I think you are right, it must be EPI. I saw them last night while doing some things in that room. Looks like a 8 or 10" with a tweeter each on two faces of the speakers. The surrounds are gone on the woofers, and I don't know if the tweeters are any good. However, they are unique to me and I plan to restore them. The wood cabinets should look good once restored. I am just curious about what they will sound like after restoration. The only other speakers I have seen with sound coming from two sides are BOSE.
 
I think you are right, it must be EPI. I saw them last night while doing some things in that room. Looks like a 8 or 10" with a tweeter each on two faces of the speakers. The surrounds are gone on the woofers, and I don't know if the tweeters are any good. However, they are unique to me and I plan to restore them. The wood cabinets should look good once restored. I am just curious about what they will sound like after restoration. The only other speakers I have seen with sound coming from two sides are BOSE.
You can still get support for EPI speakers here. This is the guy that designed them I believe. They are very nice speakers and I would recommend to restore them.

I sent you a pm as well
 
Thanks for the link. I just spent the last hour reading through the website about the history of the company and the founder's background. I saw he came from KLH and AR, two of my favorite speaker brands. I have several models built by both manufacturers. I think I will call him and ask how the EPI model 202 and 250 sound compared to KLH and AR models I am familiar with.
Quickly going through the price list, I estimate the cost for replacement speakers and crossovers would run about $750 plus tax and shipping. The existing woofers have no surrounds at all. I see he doesn't offer surrounds. The tweeters may still work, I would have to test them. The crossover would have to be rebuilt, and it would be reasonable to replace them with his "improved" crossover and connection plate and connectors.
The speaker cabinets evidently are "real" walnut veneer. They should look good restored. I would replace the grill cloth as I have on KLH and AR speakers I have rebuilt.

Thanks again.
 
Thanks for the link. I just spent the last hour reading through the website about the history of the company and the founder's background. I saw he came from KLH and AR, two of my favorite speaker brands. I have several models built by both manufacturers. I think I will call him and ask how the EPI model 202 and 250 sound compared to KLH and AR models I am familiar with.
Quickly going through the price list, I estimate the cost for replacement speakers and crossovers would run about $750 plus tax and shipping. The existing woofers have no surrounds at all. I see he doesn't offer surrounds. The tweeters may still work, I would have to test them. The crossover would have to be rebuilt, and it would be reasonable to replace them with his "improved" crossover and connection plate and connectors.
The speaker cabinets evidently are "real" walnut veneer. They should look good restored. I would replace the grill cloth as I have on KLH and AR speakers I have rebuilt.

Thanks again.
Foam surrounds are readily available from many vendors and are easy to install. Check out Simply Speakers, Springfield Speaker Repair, and ebay. Just be sure to get the correct angle (fillet) edge surrounds, aka Boston style.
 
Part two

Here are the old and new caps side by side.
oldnew.jpg


I purchased the caps from Parts Express at Parts Express: Speakers, Amplifiers, Audio Parts and Solutions. It only took 3 days for the caps to arrive, and I added in a few other items I needed too.

Here's what I ordered:
027-414 DAYTON DMPC-2.0 2.0uF-250V PO .. qty 4 $1.52 ea.
027-421 DAYTON DMPC-4.0 4.0uF-250V PO .. qty 4 $1.85 ea.

Here is the reassembled crossover with the new caps. I used hotmelt glue to fasten the double caps. Note that the two 4MF caps are in parallel, giving a total of 8MF.
recapped.jpg

recapped2.jpg


Solder and wirecap the tweeter leads, and put it back in it's place
soldertweet.jpg


Before you put the driver back in, its time to put the stuffing and shroud back in place. Don't forget the gloves.
restuff.jpg

reshroud.jpg


Solder in the driver leads, and mount it back on the cabinet with the 8 screws that you haven't lost.
solderwoof.jpg


With any luck, here's how it looks! Note that I cleaned and oiled the cabinets.
donenude1.jpg

donenude2.jpg


Just a couple of steps yet. Since the cabs were filthy, I figured the grills were too. They were in perfect shape, so instead of replacing the grill cloth, I used a fabric cleaner to freshen them up. Screw the logo back in place and you are DONE!
cleangrill.jpg


Here are a couple more shots of the finished product.

done1.jpg

done2.jpg


I must say that I'm VERY pleased with how these turned out. Total time invested was about 4 hours, including taking pictures. I've moved them up to my home office, driving them with my Marantz 1060 being fed by iTunes via a dbx 3BX-DS. I had planned on selling them, but oh my they sound mighty nice!

I've listened to a nice variety of music as I've put this together. I hope someone can find this post useful and maybe it will inspire someone to take on a project like this themselves.
I’m reassembling 2 1966 Sylvania 3-way floor speakers. I purchased the replacement caps for the crossover but I noticed your warning to add a 10 ufd cap in series with the tweeter to protect it. What voltage? Is 10ufd a correct value so as not to interfere with the sound output. I’ve attached the original crossover schematic. If you wouldn’t mind taking a quick look. Also too there was a ring of gray foam placed around the tweeter but not connected directly. It dry rotted. Could I use/ foam a circle of foam typically used for window/door weather stripping? Thank you for any advice. 1778077543998.png
 
Back
Top Bottom