• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Rescuing the KLH 6 Twins from the Evil Garbage Truck

Cool story. The hunt is fun, and great when you strike gold!
I've slowed down a bit, but tag sale season has begun, and the hunt will increase again I'm sure!
Glenn
 
Cool story. The hunt is fun, and great when you strike gold!
I've slowed down a bit, but tag sale season has begun, and the hunt will increase again I'm sure!
Glenn

Ah. Tag sales. I remember those from when I lived upstate. We don't have those down in Florida. We call them garage sales or yard sales.
 
Ah. Tag sales. I remember those from when I lived upstate. We don't have those down in Florida. We call them garage sales or yard sales.
We have them also, all depends on the posted signs on the telephone poles!
 
So here is some more pieces to the original story on the KLH 6's that I rescued. I ended up talking to the neighbor who was tossing them. She's an older lady and walks her dog down the street and always says "hi". I stopped her about 6 weeks afterward and asked if she lived at that location and she indicated that she did. I told her the story about picking them up and mentioned that I hoped that was ok with her. She said, "Heck yes and do you want some more!". As it turned out her husband had dementia and she was divesting of some of his stuff that they no longer needed. She said that I could come over and get some more speakers. She said that she was wanting to get rid of some big ones but hadn't found the energy to drag them to the curb.

I grabbed my garden cart and went right over. As it turns out she had a pair of Technics Linear Phase SB-6060's which have 12" woofers. They are rather unique looking with a grill on front and a grill on top in the form of a box covering a tweeter. She grabbed her garden cart too and we each towed one speaker back to my place. I did all the heavy lifting.
nce

Once at my place, I managed to show her the KLH 6's in progress of being restored. She mentioned that her husband had built the Dynakit (ST-70) himself many years ago. (I'm thinking she was talking about the 1960's as it is an original kit and the KLH 6's are early 60's vintage). She said that he used to listen to Pink Floyd. I don't recall meeting him, but seems like he would have been a cool guy. She still had his vinyl and wasn't giving that up. For some reason she thought there was value in the records and not the equipment. I found that odd, but interesting.

Anyways, Now that I'm done with the KLH 6's, I'm going to move on to other projects. I figure that I'll fix up the NAD receiver with the weak channel and then start on the complete rebuild of the Dynakit ST-70. I've ordered a PC Oscilloscope from fleabay to assist with both projects.

I've got all of this old equipment in our rec room. This room is a converted 2 1/2 car garage. Plenty of space for the systems and much more. The floor is carpeted and the walls are MDF and the ceiling is drywall. Its' big at 23'x29' = 667sf. I'm going to slowly improve it and it will end up being a dynamite listening room/theater.
 
Last edited:
That's an awesome story! So is the ST-70 from this lady as well?
Let's see some pics man!
Too bad about her husband though.
Glenn
 
That's an awesome story! So is the ST-70 from this lady as well?
Let's see some pics man!
Too bad about her husband though.
Glenn


Hi Glenn,

Yes, the Dynakit ST-70 was from her too. She put it out in the trash. I believe the pics of it are about 6 posts in from the beginning of this thread. Yeah, it is too bad about her husband.
 
Hi Glenn,

Yes, the Dynakit ST-70 was from her too. She put it out in the trash. I believe the pics of it are about 6 posts in from the beginning of this thread. Yeah, it is too bad about her husband.
Ahhh, I see that I commented on it. That will be a fun project. Lots of info in the tube section.
 
Re: post #28, this is the first time I've seen Denny Roll show up in a KLH cabinet. He has left his mark in at least one pair of speakers of mine - - this image is from a 1964 AR-4 cabinet.

View attachment 737465

My newly acquired KLH Sixes:

0hSkcUM.jpg
 
Back
Top Bottom