• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Restored pioneer PL 516

RichTassoni

Active Member
Just got my restored pioneer PL 516 in oak veneer and waiting for my new Ortofon 2m blue for it comes Monday. 20180217_142002.jpg
 

Attachments

  • 20180217_142055.jpg
    20180217_142055.jpg
    40.4 KB · Views: 17
Register to hide this ad
Nice improvement over the grey vinyl good job!
Do have any pics of the process?
I need to redo mine how difficult was it?
Cheers
PQ
 
Nice improvement over the grey vinyl good job!
Do have any pics of the process?
I need to redo mine how difficult was it?
Cheers
PQ
I didn't do the work if you were thinking that. It's nice to see these people restore these wonderful turntables not cheap but can see the quality work when you get one
 
Definitely need to re-veneer my PL 516!
think I am going to look for walnut veneer to math the rest of my gear!
PQ
 
Well at least yours is working mine just quit the motor spindle will not turn anymore just bought this a week ago. I just left the seller a message that it quit working ,might have to contact eBay about it I would think a return would be appropriate. This sucks glad I have my 514 still.

Sorry to hear that!
You might want to start a separate thread like "Need help with Pioneer PL 615"
It maybe something simple like a loose solder joint..there is "restored" and then there are those sellers that just do cosmetic work.
It's a nice table good luck!
PQ
 
Sorry to hear that!
You might want to start a separate thread like "Need help with Pioneer PL 615"
It maybe something simple like a loose solder joint..there is "restored" and then there are those sellers that just do cosmetic work.
It's a nice table good luck!
PQ
Thanks I'm going to wait to hear from the seller soon or contact eBay or pay pal for a return. It says I have 30 day money back guarantee.
 
Well all is well the seller is giving me a full refund on the PL 516 I told him if see something he has in the future in my price range I would be happy get something else from him. Meanwhile my Ortofon 2m blue just came I installed it everything lined up in my pioneer PL 514 it's raining all day here, guess nothing to do but get this new cartridge broken in it sounds so good.
 
.... it's raining all day here, guess nothing to do but get this new cartridge broken in .....

I'm going to use that as my excuse as to why my Pioneer PL-540 table still has its original, scratched dust cover and old vinyl veneer, even though I'd love to revamp its looks.

But what can I do? It almost never rains here, and when it does, we're too busy running outside and enjoying it!!! :D
 
I'm going to use that as my excuse as to why my Pioneer PL-540 table still has its original, scratched dust cover and old vinyl veneer, even though I'd love to revamp its looks.

But what can I do? It almost never rains here, and when it does, we're too busy running outside and enjoying it!!! :D
I'd take your weather right now miss riding my motorcycles .
 
This series of turntables is just about the easiest tables to veneer (which, I suspect, is why they're a favorite among eBay sellers who veneer and sell turntables). The only tools you need to take them down to a bare plinth are a #2 Philips and 3mm Allen key. You'll then need a heat gun and a 2" drywall knife to remove the vinyl and any remaining adhesive. Then, if you decide to go with self-stick veneer, the rest is easy. I don't recommend self-stick veneer but I suspect that it's what the people on eBay use.

John
 
Back
Top Bottom