• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Review of the 'Quest 20' Ortofon/Digitrac

Hmm - after reading that these seem to be high compliance units, I wonder what one of these would sound like mounted on my KD-550 w/ Black Widow tonearm?

Now I'm crossing my fingers hoping for 2 working carts :) It would be interesting to run the same cart on the SL-10 and the KD-550...saving the pricier DL-160 on my Pioneer for the best of the best in my LP collection (yes, I'm running 3 TTs in my living room - I think I'm sick).
 
I'm thinking of ordering a few for my new Technics SL-10, and hoping at least 1 cartridge works - it is a T4P (with adaptor for 1/2") right?

I'm using a 200NE in my SL-10, and it sounds very, very good :thmbsp:
 
Over and done?

According to the supplier I have just ordered the last of the Digitrack 200 NE carts. They said that's it, no more coming.
 
Had a KD-550 with both versions of the BW back in the late '70s, this cart in it's adapter on that arm should be killer:thmbsp:. The Kenny and the Widows got replaced by a Denon DP-55K and Magnapan Unitrack in the early 80s , shortly replaced by a Souther SLA-3. Still in use, it gets the MC carts.
Am still trying to get a botched-up SL-10 working right, the cart sounded great in an SL-7 . I just got a 2nd nice SL-7 for a back-up while they are still around, also want a good working -10.

Hmm - after reading that these seem to be high compliance units, I wonder what one of these would sound like mounted on my KD-550 w/ Black Widow tonearm?

Now I'm crossing my fingers hoping for 2 working carts :) It would be interesting to run the same cart on the SL-10 and the KD-550...saving the pricier DL-160 on my Pioneer for the best of the best in my LP collection (yes, I'm running 3 TTs in my living room - I think I'm sick).
 
Do either of the Digitrac 190s have an equivalent stylus??

According to the supplier I have just ordered the last of the Digitrack 200 NE carts. They said that's it, no more coming.

After mailing back defective (1 channel only) 200NEs I read in this thread they have no more. Mine are still in transit...

I've let them know via email that I would take back the defective ones as I could use the tools, hardware, styli, etc., but then it dawned on me - are either of the Digitrac 190s they offer equally good donors for styli? If they are, I might try to see if they'd "upgrade" me to these cartridges they sell for more $.

If not, then I'll hope for replacements, but more likely settle for having my defective ones shipped back.

mg
 
I think Qwest commented over on VE the 190 has a conical stylus but you never really know with these Digitracs. I'm wondering what happened to all the returns with bad bodies, did he resell them, are they sitting in a box or yikes hope he didn't trash them.
 
I can answer that!

I think Qwest commented over on VE the 190 has a conical stylus but you never really know with these Digitracs. I'm wondering what happened to all the returns with bad bodies, did he resell them, are they sitting in a box or yikes hope he didn't trash them.

Just spoke with them. Someone has offered to buy the defective ones from them for "almost the full price".

They did have the foresight to set aside replacements for mine, so worse case scenario, I'll receive defective replacements and, short of the return postage I paid, I'll be no worse off. And, best case scenario, I'll have functional cartridge bodies.
 
With the 190S it seems like it is conical but its interesting that they sell one for $35 and one for $20. $35 for a conical with less stuff doesn't make any sense.
I wonder who is buying the bad ones?
 
Perhaps someone is buying them to resell the stylii, after buying up all the "good" stock. It wouldn't surprise me if the 200NE cartridge and replacement stylus went up for sale at one of the stylus sales websites.
 
Are you guys contacting them through the email on the jettsales website? I'd like to make sure mine got shipped before they ran out. My CC was billed, but with no extra charge for shipping to Canada...hoping they show up sometime soon.

EDIT: oops, just checked my junkmail folder and there's an email saying they were shipped out.

Kind of a bummer that I can't get more from them, as I was planning on getting another 1/2 dozen for spare needles, assuming I liked the sound. If I don't get a working cart, I'll be trying to file down the OMP 10 body I have, something I'd rather avoid.
 
Last edited:
For the OMP cartridge (the p-mount version of the OM) more plastic will need to be removed than just the tab, from the cartridge body or the stylus.
 
Are you guys contacting them through the email on the jettsales website? I'd like to make sure mine got shipped before they ran out. My CC was billed, but with no extra charge for shipping to Canada...hoping they show up sometime soon.

EDIT: oops, just checked my junkmail folder and there's an email saying they were shipped out.

Kind of a bummer that I can't get more from them, as I was planning on getting another 1/2 dozen for spare needles, assuming I liked the sound. If I don't get a working cart, I'll be trying to file down the OMP 10 body I have, something I'd rather avoid.

Don't file the body- you'll compromise the cartridge.

As stated- clip the little nub on the stylus body with nail clippers.
 
Back
Top Bottom