• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Review of the 'Quest 20' Ortofon/Digitrac

I can find pictures of the OM 30 tip but not of the OM 20 tip if someone could get pictures of the OM 20 it would be of great help.
 
Pio that may be the first thread where Quest pointed out the Digitrac AKA Quest20, too bad he hasn't posted here in a long while, he had the coolest avatars. He does post over on VE regularly about the Digitrac as Paladin.
 
What? Just cut the little tab on the sylus with nail clippers. No need to hack the cart.

Strangely, I thought I would try the next one up, the 300SE with an Ortofon OM Super cart, and unlike the 200NE + OM10, it fits perfectly, no need for surgery!
 
So would anyone be interested in sending one or two of these across the pond to Oz?

I just recently bought and restored a Technics SL-10, which is running an OMP-10 cart.

I wish I had stumbled across this thread a month or two earlier, now that Jett is out of stock :(
 
Dang, it's been a year since these dried up? Time flies.

There has to be another great deal out there.
 
there was but they were all bought up by one buyer at that well known auction site,
Not as good a deal as this but not bad either. if your curious do a completed search under Stanton and look for four different Stanton styluses that ended on Sunday night at around 12:15 EST.
 
I started this thread. Someone on Audiogon is trying to sell them for a $100 a pop using the name I coined "Quest20". I still got two new ones but have kinda outgrown them.
 
I bought a few and still like them for 'P' mounts. A steal at $20 either version, $100 not so much. I'm into MC and strain gauge carts these days so they don't get much vinyl time.
 
An update;
I like 'gadgets' that play records, those are usually vintage linear trackers of some sort and I have a few of them here from an H-K ST7 to a Denon TT/ Mod'ed Souther SLA-3. Recently I fulfilled a promise to myself to play with a ReVoX Linatrack LT 'table if an affordable nice one came up, and thanx to a generous fellow AKer here it is, unconventionally and interestingly 'gadget-y' in ways that intrigue me shown gantry cover removed.
DSC_3840.JPG

I was expecting eventual mechanical competence (odd but elegant Swiss engineering and design, superb German craftsmanship) but nothing much out of the ordinary as far as sonic performance goes, and set it up with the $20 Digitrac and started sorting out it's aging problems while occasionally listening to results. Discussion of the process for realigning aging B795 model Linatrack TTs here; http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/showpost.php?p=5155782&postcount=43
Well, much to my astonishment the Linatrack is no mere "gadget" with the Digi' riding it's carriage, it is possibly the best most natural, detailed and dynamic phono playback I've yet achieved in my own systems and I think that is saying a lot after moving coils and strain gauge carts ruled the roost here. While these Digitrac things sound OK to good in an appropriate set-up (Technics SL-7 F.I.), they can amaze and astonish in just the right TT and apparently the Linatrack is one of those, in spades! I think this cart's potential is wasted in most of the TTs it's found it's way to if there isn't a very low mass-low drag/friction arm on a dead-quiet drive involved. It's very possible that I have no idea how good this thing can sound but right now it's like hearing favorite records I've played for decades for the first time, as if reissued by Mobile Fidelity when they were doing their best work. I am again in audio heaven with my records, results like this is why I 'do' analogue and keep striving.
YMMV of course, but I hope not. You should also be so fortunate with your set-up.
 
Last edited:
Thanks for this review,Pio. I've been using my LM body & 200NE stylus in my kinda heavy armed SR 717 for a couple weeks. It sounds good, but I'm going to try it in some different tables & see what happens. I have an old Dual 506 with the propietary cart & headshell with a real light arm, but I'd need to convert the headshell (if that's possible.) Maybe I'll look for an old LT table, I've never tried one.
 
I handed an old friend in SLC my Graphite Black Widow and one of my Digitracs to mount on his Kenny KD-500 a while back, I hope it does him as well as this LT set-up I'm using here. I had both versions of the BW on my Kenny DD with an assortment of carts back in the late 1970s.
 
Wow. That is quite the review, Steve. I love hearing about those treasures that come up unexpectedly. One more combo I will put on the list since I have the OM/Digi.

I feel the same way about Micro-Acoustics electret carts. I found a 530MP to that is a step up from the 2002e. MP standing for the Micropoint, line contact stylus.
 
I bought a few and still like them for 'P' mounts. A steal at $20 either version, $100 not so much. I'm into MC and strain gauge carts these days so they don't get much vinyl time.

Could you tell me a little bit about Strain Gauge cartridges? I would like to know more about them.
 
Back
Top Bottom