• Please note that Audiokarma will be offline briefly for updates early on Monday morning, September 28th.

RoeTest tube testing system

I tried to order parts from Reichelt earlier this year and they had stopped shipping to the US. Between the electronics components suppliers in the US - Mouser, Digikey, Newark, and some others, even EBay - I was able to source some things, like the various DIN connectors the RoeTest uses. There are other European suppliers, too. For some things I wasn't able to get exact substitutes. And the costs are all mostly much higher now.
thanks.. This is gonna be fun... lol
 
i just loaded up a shopping cart and push it all the way thru check (before actually commitin) and i didn't get any notification that they are not shipping to the US as of now. I"m going to double check what I have loaded into the lists i have and give it a go, (other then what is out of stock or discontinued).
 
When I exported the CSV file from his parts list application, I didn't realize that it cut off at 100 items by default, so when I ordered from Reichelt I ended up missing a whole bunch of important items. Make sure that doesn't catch ya.. lol... One of the biggest items I needed to order stateside was the majority of the relays since the preferred part from Reichelt was out of stock at the time. Also, as mentioned in a previous post here, the LT1013 op-amps that were in the CSV file from Reichelt were the wrong ones. Maybe he fixed that in the latest version of the parts application.

I tried to order parts from Reichelt earlier this year and they had stopped shipping to the US. Between the electronics components suppliers in the US - Mouser, Digikey, Newark, and some others, even EBay - I was able to source some things, like the various DIN connectors the RoeTest uses. There are other European suppliers, too. For some things I wasn't able to get exact substitutes. And the costs are all mostly much higher now.
Did you figure out where to get the 12 pin DIN male connectors for the socket adapter boxes stateside? I need to get a few more of those to build some more obscure socket boxes.
 
Do you mean these?


Nashou
No, they are called "DIN 41622 12 pin male"
 
Well,
I sent them an email.

"
Unfortunately we can only ship to the use when using your own forwarder.

Mit freundlichen Grüßen / Best regards

Ihr reichelt Team-Export"

so i don't know what a forwarder is , but it would appear i will need to get busy about converting all these parts over to Mouser / Digikey equivilents (or other). Hope there isn't anything critical i can't get. Elsewise I've invest a lot of money in a bunch of parts i can't use already :)

Any one know if there is a ReoTest specific forum or Facebook page or something similar? I do have some UK contacts that might do me a favor.

Steve
 
Last edited:
Ooh, that's rough. I can take a look at a few of my digikey orders and give you some part numbers that I figured out.

I did look at trying to source the backplane/card connectors here, and at one point figured them out at Digikey but they were like $8 each instead of $2 each, and with 34 or so of them, it added up fast!!

Some of the relays I used. I forget which one he refers to these at in his docs, but had 60+ of them. I remember spending a lot of time researching these. They are working great though.


Some of the little relays:

resistor array for relay boards:

proper dip8 LT1013

I've not found any forums related to RoeTest. Most of the owners seem to keep pretty quiet... lol
 
Last edited:
Ooh, that's rough. I can take a look at a few of my digikey orders and give you some part numbers that I figured out.

I did look at trying to source the backplane/card connectors here, and at one point figured them out at Digikey but they were like $8 each instead of $2 each, and with 34 or so of them, it added up fast!!

Some of the relays I used. I forget which one he refers to these at in his docs, but had 60+ of them. I remember spending a lot of time researching these. They are working great though.


Some of the little relays:

resistor array for relay boards:

proper dip8 LT1013

I've not found any forums related to RoeTest. Most of the owners seem to keep pretty quiet... lol
Thank you so much. I'll probably wait till after Christmas and start on it. If it get too unwieldy i'll see if I can call in a favor to one of my UK coworkers.
 
Ooh, that's rough. I can take a look at a few of my digikey orders and give you some part numbers that I figured out.

I did look at trying to source the backplane/card connectors here, and at one point figured them out at Digikey but they were like $8 each instead of $2 each, and with 34 or so of them, it added up fast!!

Some of the relays I used. I forget which one he refers to these at in his docs, but had 60+ of them. I remember spending a lot of time researching these. They are working great though.


Some of the little relays:

resistor array for relay boards:

proper dip8 LT1013

I've not found any forums related to RoeTest. Most of the owners seem to keep pretty quiet... lol
I asked Helmut about a RoeTest forum. He said he didn't want to have to manage a forum/s. I asked because I didn't want to bug him. He said to just bug him. He's been great.

I also have sourced bits from suppliers other than Reichelt, like the EPT 64 pin DIN 41612 connectors.

It's unfortunate. I really like Reichelt. Certainly for this project, with Helmut sourcing everything from them, you've got exactly the right part, but also the prices can be really great, even after the shipping from Germany to US, it kinda worked. They did all the customs work. Easy. The whole transaction is well documented. Nice.
 
Last edited:
All is not lost There are companies like ShipGerman.com and Mailboxde.com that specialize in forwarding packages, so that’s exactly what they’re set up to do.


I also sent a note over to the Helmet group to see if anyone has already converted the full parts list to Mouser or Digi-Key.


—Steve
 
All is not lost There are companies like ShipGerman.com and Mailboxde.com that specialize in forwarding packages, so that’s exactly what they’re set up to do.


I also sent a note over to the Helmet group to see if anyone has already converted the full parts list to Mouser or Digi-Key.


—Steve
I swore that I had started a reply about freight forwarders... I set up a mailboxde.com account but haven't used it. It's super easy to set up. If you use I'd love to hear how it works out.
 
Hi All,

I’m about to receive the core parts of this build from Helmut, and I’ve put in the order with Reichelt so now just waiting to sort shipping - fingers crossed. I appreciate all of the info here very much and I’m looking forward to putting it into use while building.

i exported and imported.

I guess its gonna be a bit of a challenge to round up all those parts :)

Steve

Hey @targeteye - make sure you got the right parts list off of the RoeTest site. I pointed out to Helmut just recently that the main page that listed “bauteile11.zip” actually linked to the v10 list, which had bunches of parts issues.

@pac1085 - curious if you would be so kind, did you use a hollow tip for SMD soldering like Helmut recommended? If so, what kind/dimensions specifically? Trying to figure out which JBC tip I should possibly add. I don’t have hot air so I’ll hopefully be able to do this without that. Thanks much for any insights in advance.

All best,
Mark
 
@pac1085 - curious if you would be so kind, did you use a hollow tip for SMD soldering like Helmut recommended? If so, what kind/dimensions specifically? Trying to figure out which JBC tip I should possibly add. I don’t have hot air so I’ll hopefully be able to do this without that. Thanks much for any insights in advance.
I just used a regular smaller tip on my pace iron. There are few enough pins that they can be hand soldered easily, don't need to drag solder. I've drag soldered with a regular tip too though. Although I soldered 99% of the boards with SAC305 lead free, I chose to use regular 63/37 leaded solder on the few SMD parts to give me some leeway. The only parts I was sort of uncomfortable with was the LTC6090's I think they are? The ones that you had to solder the pad on the underside of the chip thru the holes in the other side of the board. I don't recall but I may have followed that one up with hot air to make darn sure I got a good bond to the bottom of that pad.
 
I just used a regular smaller tip on my pace iron. There are few enough pins that they can be hand soldered easily, don't need to drag solder. I've drag soldered with a regular tip too though. Although I soldered 99% of the boards with SAC305 lead free, I chose to use regular 63/37 leaded solder on the few SMD parts to give me some leeway. The only parts I was sort of uncomfortable with was the LTC6090's I think they are? The ones that you had to solder the pad on the underside of the chip thru the holes in the other side of the board. I don't recall but I may have followed that one up with hot air to make darn sure I got a good bond to the bottom of that pad.
Thanks @pac1085 - much appreciated. I’m definitely curious how that will go.

Reichelt does seem like a great option if it can be arranged. However I will say, their communication so far is not great. They kicked back my order regarding the export issue quickly (all understood there), but since then they have not responded to my replies since Monday of last week. Obviously it’s been a holiday, but some sort of auto response even would have been helpful.

I’ll keep you all posted on how my experience goes as much as I can and seems useful.

All best,
Mark
 
Last edited:
Hello All,

Just wanting to clarify a question as I have not gotten far yet. The multipin DIN connectors which are needed for the testing modules are all the male pieces like this, correct?


I’m assuming there is just a single female receiving header needed, and as many of these as we want to build modules. I appreciate any insights - thank you!

All best,
MG
 
Yes, you need one Female of those that's built into the unit. But you might want to buy 2 or 3 of them incase you decide to make other fixtures in the future that allow you to do things like rearrange pins on demand etc, such as this: RoeTest InsertBox by mageb | Download free STL model | Printables.com

And yeah, that's the correct part number for the male ones. If you're in the USA be sure to buy extras since there's nowhere else to buy them. I'm on the lookout for a few more myself.
 
Oh, one more suggestion.
Make sure to follow all of the links to external PDF files from the v11 construction manual. They will list additional parts for pieces that aren't in the parts DB (Such as this anode connector) I have not been able to find a suitable replacement for that Anode connector from a USA distributor, one that will fit the ferrite like he did. so I need to figure out how to order those from Reichelt as well at some point.

 
Wow thanks for the tip @pac1085. I'll keep this in mind. Makes me think we should sort out a working list of said parts linked from the manual.

All best,
MG
 
Hi I’m trying to find out more about the roetester. Does this tester do curve tracing using a pulse voltage method like utracer or does it trace out the characteristic curve with the high voltage applied all the time during measurement? Like textronix 570?
 
Back
Top Bottom