• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Ronco Record Cleaning Machine.

I just can't believe that anyone would use a sink sprayer on their records. I about poop myself when I get a drop of cleaning fluid on the label. Holy crap! Check my second post for reference.

Rick

I had read the link in the past, and it is right on. I have used this method before, but only on moldy vinyl, and not to the extent shown. And as long as you don't go overboard it works fine. And I have done this with valuable records. One did have some label bleeding as stated, but nothing came of it.
 
I don't understand...what could possibly go wrong?

The lips that hold the record aren't even felt even though I stated it in my original post. The reason that it deteriorated was because it was some kind of rubber sponge felt crap that held the record. I'm very serious when I said it ruined the record. First it deteriorated on it and left rubber gummy streaks and then the plastic scratched the record. I wound up getting my money back at the time from the seller. It also came with some kind of bottle of anti-static record cleaner that I threw away. Just real garbage.
 
That's the way I've been doing it for years and years. Only I use a velour-kind of lint remover instead of a sponge. And a drop of Dawn. It's not the best way, but I have never ruined a record.

Since AK I've been using a little solution of water, Dawn, and 100% denatured alcohol. And I rinse with distilled water which I buy at our local supermarket for $0.69 a gal.

I shake off the excess water carefully and place the wet LP between layers of newspaper. Newspaper is lint free and cheap. I'm cheap. Well, I'm not wasteful. Finally I let the record air dry and put it in a new sleeve. I have a file of old sleeves just in case.

If I could afford a $500+ RCM I would do it in a heartbeat. But for that much dinero I could buy a McIntosh preamp or another toy.

Rick
 
That's the way I've been doing it for years and years. Only I use a velour-kind of lint remover instead of a sponge. And a drop of Dawn. It's not the best way, but I have never ruined a record.

Since AK I've been using a little solution of water, Dawn, and 100% denatured alcohol. And I rinse with distilled water which I buy at our local supermarket for $0.69 a gal.

I shake off the excess water carefully and place the wet LP between layers of newspaper. Newspaper is lint free and cheap. I'm cheap. Well, I'm not wasteful. Finally I let the record air dry and put it in a new sleeve. I have a file of old sleeves just in case.

If I could afford a $500+ RCM I would do it in a heartbeat. But for that much dinero I could buy a McIntosh preamp or another toy.

Rick


Are we talking about the same thing? I meant cleaning your record on a Ronco machine I don't mean manual cleaning. I'm talking about putting your record in that horrible thing and watching it spin to it's demise. :tears:
 
The lips that hold the record aren't even felt even though I stated it in my original post. The reason that it deteriorated was because it was some kind of rubber sponge felt crap that held the record. I'm very serious when I said it ruined the record. First it deteriorated on it and left rubber gummy streaks and then the plastic scratched the record. I wound up getting my money back at the time from the seller. It also came with some kind of bottle of anti-static record cleaner that I threw away. Just real garbage.

It was a tongue-in-cheek comment. I would't clean a frisbee in that contraption. Hey, but at least you gave it a try and warned us!

I think the design has potential. The vertical manner in which the disc goes through a bath of cleaner seems efficient. Gives me ideas....

Too bad you sacrificed a record. I hope it wasn't one of your favorites! Good seller to refund your money, too.

Rick

Just got your reply: I'm talking about that link to an ebay site about washing your records in the sink.
 
It was a tongue-in-cheek comment. I would't clean a frisbee in that contraption. Hey, but at least you gave it a try and warned us!

I think the design has potential. The vertical manner in which the disc goes through a bath of cleaner seems efficient. Gives me ideas....

Too bad you sacrificed a record. I hope it wasn't one of your favorites! Good seller to refund your money, too.

Rick

Just got your reply: I'm talking about that link to an ebay site about washing your records in the sink.

Actually the Spin-Clean that you can purchase from Garage-A-Records works on the same principle but you actually spin the record around. It is probably the best bang for the buck cleaner. I used it before I bought a RCM and it does a very good job. Just need to rinse the tank constantly or otherwise you'll really start contaminating other records as that tank gets really funky.
 
I can just imagine the detritus in the solution. Yuch :drool:

I've heard of Garage-A-Records. Been to their site looking for record sleeves. Need to check them again for a cleaning machine.

Rick
 
Where I live, the water is mountain fresh and soft.

For years I have done the "Dawn" protocol, but first, spin the subject record
a few times under strong-running cold tap water, to remove any loose stuff and to get the platter fully wet.

I then use my dish-washing solution (Dawn seems to be a world-beater, and is also used on expensive cars, to remove built-up wax/grime, etc) squirted onto a soft dish-sponge, which is rubbed around the disc a few times, depending upon the condition of the record.

I then rinse off the soapy film by again spinning the record under cold tapwater, until the bubbles disappear.

I then shake-off as much water as possible, and stand-up the disc(s) in my bathtub, to air dry.

The labels do NOT suffer in any apparent way (perhaps contrary to some imagined consequences).

As somebody posted, on some other thread, around here: vinyl is TOUGH stuff! I never play a pre-owned record before cleaning it, in this manner, and some would argue that any new album should be washed before it's initiallt played.
 
To D501

Oh how I wish we had that 'mountain fresh' water here in Florida.

We do if you can drill about 400' into the aquifer. Where are you located? I might be using your water.

Rick
 
Ronco Record Cleaner

I'm sure someone will spend months on end trying to upgrade this POS to finally make the thing work without destroying the record. For the life of me I can't figure out why anyone would use something like this or be washing records in the sink etc. Then again they are probably still washing their clothes and dishes in the stream behind the cabin upstream from the outhouse.
 
I'm sure someone will spend months on end trying to upgrade this POS to finally make the thing work without destroying the record. For the life of me I can't figure out why anyone would use something like this or be washing records in the sink etc. Then again they are probably still washing their clothes and dishes in the stream behind the cabin upstream from the outhouse.

No out house. Also no $500 vacuum. Hmmm. Lets see, very dirty record, but can be cleaned. Might, and often does have mold on it. How do you clean it. WITH WATER. AND IF THE WATER IS FROM A STREAM THAT's EVEN BETTER!!!
 
I like the guy's example of "certain record collectors". Was that taken at AKfest last year?

blog7recordcollectors
 
i've been using the kitchen sink for quite some time, subsequent to figuring out that LP's are not eucharistic wafers
 
My intent was not to insult people that do manually clean their records. I was just trying to poke a little fun...nothing more. I am fortunate enough to have an RCM and couldn't see doing it any other way. That is my issue I suppose. If offense was taken than I do humbly apologize.

I should also say that I have not tried washing a record in the sink. It might be the best thing for moldy or really dirty record. I usually just won't buy one that is that dirty or moldy as it is not worth my time and probable disappointment.


Regards,
Rick
 
Ronco RCM

I admit I got a little too sarcastic re hand washing LPs in the sink. No doubt it can be done and the results can be very good when a RCM isn't the available due to finances. I get upset when LPs and turntables get destoyed when people don't take proper care in cleaning and packaging. Whatever method works well is fine, my apology if I offended anyone.
 
No out house. Also no $500 vacuum. Hmmm. Lets see, very dirty record, but can be cleaned. Might, and often does have mold on it. How do you clean it. WITH WATER. AND IF THE WATER IS FROM A STREAM THAT's EVEN BETTER!!!

Hmmm... And here's me all these years thinking that mold actually attacks vinyl and "etches" it.
 
Hmmm... And here's me all these years thinking that mold actually attacks vinyl and "etches" it.

Did you ever try to clean it off? Something else. Mold spores do die. Some of my rarest records had mold on them when I found them. Guess what. The mold spores were small, and dead. If the records are "etched" then they sound pretty good that way. If you find some Jazz records with some mold on them since they most likely are "etched" you can always send them to me. :yes:
 
Back
Top Bottom