• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Rotor damage.

Mr Boochie

AK Subscriber
Subscriber
c20f90a1-6723-40b7-973d-cc905b4a65fe.jpg


Aftermarket part. :(
 
Register to hide this ad
Looks pretty thin with lots of scoring, at least from that view. More to the story, perhaps.
I asked him if the brakes showed signs of overheating. Or if he had used them excessively (racing or long downhill runs).

He told me that this happened just after starting off in the morning. Of course, the metal fatigue could have started long before the failure. Like during manufacturing.
 
Last edited:
I asked him if the brakes showed signs of overheating. Or if he had used them excessively (racing or long downhill runs).

He told me that this happened just after starting off in the morning. Of course, the metal fatigue could have started long before the failure. Like during the manufacturing.
Maybe, or not.

Everybody always blames the parts and/or the manufacturer but a broken part doesn't inherently mean it's a part quality issue from a materials or manufacturing standpoint. Correlation vs causation.

Ever watched those "Customer states..." YouTube videos?

Personally, it looks to me like the pads for that brake may have been gone some time ago, and he didn't notice the grinding until the big clank. Looks like lots of crazing too, often a sign of overheating.
 
Last edited:
Your friend has been driving with no pads on those rotors for a long time IDK how could he not hear the metal on metal grind/squeal. That rotor suffered from massive overheating, hence the crack in the outer part of the rotor where that pad runs. The crack in the hat portion likely happened when they tried to get that rusted piece of junk off the car.

Check out the rotors I removed off my wife's 2016 Charger compared to the Chinese "Power Stop" ones on my 2016 Charger... sometimes factory parts are inferior. Apparently most brake rotors made today start off as cast blanks in China (they make two grades, cheap schiit and good schiit). The cheap AutoZone types are machined there in China (and they stink on ice) the fancy ones like mine are machined in the U.S. :



1 (4).JPG2 (4).jpg
 
Last edited:
Both of my vehicles have "spoke" aluminum wheels. I occasionally walk around and check the rotors for unusual wear.
I do that at least once a week because I like to admire my brakes: I installed the huge 14.5" Front, 13.8" rear Police Pursuit brakes on my Charger because I tend to go fast and stop hard. Comparison picks between the stock brakes that come on the V-6 and the Police package:
4. BR9  rotor.jpg109_0222.JPG109_0929.JPG
 
I did a brake upgrade on my Towncar, but it was from a 10.5" rotor to a 12.2". Not particularly large by modern standards but absolutely massive improvement in braking performance. It got larger pads and dual piston calipers with a fair bit larger total surface area to go along with it. Same rotors that I put on almost 20 years ago now. They weren't anything special, just whatever Pep Boys was selling back then but they are US-made.
 
Just did a look-see ( ivctechnologies.com "2026/02/01") as to other factors other than "poorly manufactured rotors" and found six other variables for rotor failure, based on unbalancing.

FWIW

Q
 
Back
Top Bottom