• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Rush: A Musical Journey

I think Terry's departure was quite a shock to many of us. He seemed like a 4th member of the band and an album lacking the words "Produced by Rush and Terry Brown" was almost unthinkable. More on that later. For now, I'm at the point where Broon's future with the band is assured.
sorry , I had no intention of thread crapping and even tho you did not say I was , I think I was . Carry on , It's a great thread so far .
 
sorry , I had no intention of thread crapping and even tho you did not say I was , I think I was . Carry on , It's a great thread so far .

Didn't see your comment as thread crapping at all. Broon was an important part of the band's history and his departure needs to be explored. Any comments on the band and its members and associates are valuable and definitely on topic.
 
Hemispheres

IMG_8780.JPG

Track list:

1. Cygnus X-1 Book 2: Hemispheres
2. Circumstances
3. The Trees
4. La Villa Strangiato

Rush's second offering from 1978 would prove to be their last in which a single piece occupied an entire LP side. Telling the story of battling Greek gods, it is an epic work fully befitting the subject matter. Brief reprises from Cygnus X-1: Book 1, from A Farewell To Kings help to tie the two pieces together.

The 3 tracks on side 2 include La Villa Strangiato, Rush's first instrumental. Subtitled 'an exercise in self-indulgence', it allows all 3 members to show off their virtuoso skills, unencumbered with lyrics.

Hemispheres was later reissued on CD. Like 2112, By-Tor and the Snow Dog, The Necromancer and Fountain Of Lamneth, the first track was indexed for CD players able to read the encoding.

The Trees and La Villa Strangiato found their way into the concert set for many years to come.
 
Last edited:
View attachment 916053


With a record contract in hand it was time for some changes. John Rutsey, while enthusiastic enough, was diabetic and not physically up to the rigours of life on tour and was replaced by Neil Peart. .

If memory serves me well ... Geddy Lee did not want to take John Rutsey on the road because he felt that it would lead to his death (Rock Star life style) ... and he didn't want to explain that to his parents.
Seen that on some documentary on Rush on MTV music channel (formerly Palladia).
 
If memory serves me well ... Geddy Lee did not want to take John Rutsey on the road because he felt that it would lead to his death (Rock Star life style) ... and he didn't want to explain that to his parents.
Seen that on some documentary on Rush on MTV music channel (formerly Palladia).

That is the information I have too, or close to it. John's diabetes and (I'll be corrected if I'm wrong but I've read or heard it somewhere) his lax attitude to his insulin, coupled with the rock star lifestyle were thought to be life threatening.
 
Rush Through Time

IMG_8782.JPG

Track list:

1. Fly By Night
2. Making Memories
3. Bastille Day
4. Something For Nothing
5. Cinderella Man/Anthem
6. Overture/Temples Of Syrinx
7. The Twilight Zone
8. Best I Can
9. Closer To The Heart
10. In The End

1979 saw nothing new from Rush. Mercury did, however, release this compilation of earlier work.
 
Last edited:
View attachment 917381

Track list:

1. A Farewell To Kings
2. Xanadu
3. Closer To The Heart
4. Cinderella Man
5. Madrigal
6. Cygnus X-1

The 5th studio album was recorded at Rockfield Studios in South Wales. A Farewell To Kings continued with Rush's now-familiar method of writing longer tracks with two tracks over 10 minutes, Xanadu and Cygnus X-1. Such tracks leave plenty of room for instrumental sections and neither track disappoints in this regard. The title track, a jaundiced view of our present seen from a critical future is also quite a long presentation at over 5 minutes. The other 3 tracks are short and include Closer To The Heart, which became a concert favourite for many years. Xanadu, with its extended instrumental intro, gives Peart a chance to show that a drum kit can be extended into an entire orchestra.

Geddy Lee's vocals have had many comments made about them, not all kind. Cygnus X-1 probably stretches him to his highest capability like no other, before or since. Yet there is no sense of his being uncomfortable. He just takes the high notes in his stride.

Cygnus X-1 is, of course, part of Rush's program material and would be continued on the subject of the next post, Hemispheres.

A Farewell To Kings is perhaps THE album that I'd recommend for anyone new to Rush. It has a mixture of raw power and thoughtful contemplation and serves as a bridge between the earlier, heavier numbers and the later complexities for which the band became famous. I've always seen it as the first part of Rush's second chapter. By now firmly established, they could concentrate on getting the words and music down on paper and vinyl and let the rest of the music industry do as it pleased.
Well said, Looking back, I think they were moving to more compact style of writing. The long epics would show a few more times, But the shorter songs would start to dominate. We're still talking 5/6 minutes here.

All ways thought AFTK, Was Alex Lifeson's album. He playing is excellent, And he got to stretch out on some nice solo's. I always thought Cygnus X-1 would have worked on 2112. Don't think anyone could have survived that LP as a double. LOL!
The remastering on this by Bob Ludwig is top notch. Think his company did all of them.
 
View attachment 917482

Track list:

1. Fly By Night
2. Making Memories
3. Bastille Day
4. Something For Nothing
5. Cinderella Man/Anthem
6. Overture/Temples Of Syrinx
7. The Twilight Zone
8. Best I Can
9. Closer To The Heart
10. In The End

1979 saw nothing new from Rush. Mercury did, however, release this compilation of earlier work.

I've heard this played, And just doesn't "Mesh" For me. There's bands were you just need to by the record and listen. Most actually. Rush, Definitely.
 
View attachment 917417

Track list:

1. Cygnus X-1 Book 2: Hemispheres
2. Circumstances
3. The Trees
4. La Villa Strangiato

Rush's second offering from 1978 would prove to be their last in which a single piece occupied an entire LP side. Telling the story of battling Greek gods, it is an epic work fully befitting the subject matter. Brief reprises from Cygnus X-1: Book 1, from A Farewell To Kings help to tie the two pieces together.

The 3 tracks on side 2 include La Villa Strangiato, Rush's first instrumental. Subtitled 'an exercise in self-indulgence', it allows all 3 members to show off their virtuoso skills, unencumbered with lyrics.

Hemispheres was later reissued on CD. Like 2112, By-Tor and the Snow Dog, The Necromancer and Fountain Of Lamneth, the first track was indexed for CD players able to read the encoding.

The Trees and La Villa Strangiato found their way into the concert set for many years to come.

The instrumental is unreal. That could on for 4 hours and I'd be happy. Another great example of great playing. Some really cleaver stuff on this LP
 
Permanent Waves

IMG_8784.JPG

Track list:

1. The Spirit Of Radio
2. Freewill
3. Jacob's Ladder
4. Entre Nous
5. Different Strings
6. Natural Science

Rush returned to Canada to record their 7th album. Permanent Waves was recorded at Le Studio in Quebec and released in January, 1980.

The Spirit of Radio was edited down to 3 minutes for a single version which enjoyed some chart success, peaking at No 13 in the U.K. and around 50 in the Billboard 100. The song has been a concert favourite ever since.

Geddy Lee's keyboard work plays an important part in Permanent Waves, although he still leaves plenty of room for stunning performances from Lifeson.

It was in the same year that all three members of Rush guested on Canadian band Max Webster's album, Universal Juveniles, appearing on the track 'Battlescar'.

IMG_8783.JPG
 
Last edited:
If you look closely in the gate folds of some of the early Rush albums ( particularly Carress of Steel) you'll see extremely fine print under the lyrics showing what towns the lyrics and music were worked on...I use to flip out because at the time I lived in Fort Wayne Ind. and it's listed in Carress of Steel as one of the towns..
BTW don't know if it was mentioned but the band was furious with the Carress cover lettering printed in gold instead of a silver/grey so that it
looked like steel..
 
View attachment 917393

Archives was released in April 1978 and was simply a rerelease of the first 3 albums in a gatefold sleeve.
That is the information I have too, or close to it. John's diabetes and (I'll be corrected if I'm wrong but I've read or heard it somewhere) his lax attitude to his insulin, coupled with the rock star lifestyle were thought to be life threatening.

Let's check out the source,image.jpgimage.jpg
 
If you look closely in the gate folds of some of the early Rush albums ( particularly Carress of Steel) you'll see extremely fine print under the lyrics showing what towns the lyrics and music were worked on...I use to flip out because at the time I lived in Fort Wayne Ind. and it's listed in Carress of Steel as one of the towns..
BTW don't know if it was mentioned but the band was furious with the Carress cover lettering printed in gold instead of a silver/grey so that it
looked like steel..

Did not know this. Thanks
 
Back
Top Bottom