• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Rush: A Musical Journey

Being a high school senior in 81 and on the drumline you know I'm a fan.

Chose the Rush concert over senior prom even though I had already seen them two nights before. I remember us getting left at that show by our ride and having to take a Greyhound back, they let us out in town on the side of the highway. (it was "too loud" for the guys date who promptly got a headache)

Knew every beat Peart played on every album up to that point. Made agogo bells in metal shop and used a slit drum so we could play stuff like The Trees, lol. Still have the brass bowl around here I mounted up, used for the triangle parts in Prelude to Hemispheres, etc. Have a copy of the letter I wrote to win Neils drums here somewhere too.

Hemispheres obviously has always been my favorite release.

This is a fun topic !
 
I think of Signals as MP part 2. Same great clean recordings and that ska reggae feel. I think they did it better than the Police. :naughty:

I've read that Digital Man was the straw that broke the camels back with Terry. In my top 10 rush songs. Incredible bass playing and that drum intro is probably the coolest.

Going back to 'Battlescar'... I try to imagine being there at Le Studio with both bands recording simultaneously. What a great time.
 
Last edited:
I recently got the Vapor Trails remixed. Listened to it once. I don't care for most of the 'remixing'. Sucked the life out of most of the songs. I wonder why they didn't just remaster it?
Mixing and mastering are two different functions and as such are not interchangeable terms. Don't ask me to elaborate because I'm not technically competent in the subject and even though I sometimes post things on the internet I don't pretend that it makes me and "expert" on the subject. There was quite a lot of information in the media prior to and at the time of the release of the re-mix of 'Vapor Trails.' The RUSH organization (band, management,production, promotions etc) was never satisfied with the original release of 'Vapor Trails' and were quite happy to have the opportunity to call a "Mulligan" on the project. They we're finally able to have a sense of pride in the project and we're very satisfied with the results of the effort. As the saying goes, the proof is in the pudding. It is unquestionable that the two entities are as different as night and day, which one an individual prefers is entirely their own choice. As for me, once I heard the re-mix I had no further use for the original.
 
I know they are not the same. Some fans just wanted the clipping gone and a bit more dynamics, not an entirely new mix with new parts added and missing old parts. I do agree the new album is interesting and clean but there is something about the fury of the original that fits.

Love Earthshine. ;)
 
Signals

View attachment 918072

Track list:

1. Subdivisions
2. Analog Kid
3. Chemistry
4. Digital Man
5. The Weapon
6. New World Man
7. Losing It
8. Countdown

Rush's 9th studio album was released in 1982.

If it still has a modern feel to it, consider this. The last track pays homage to the first Space Shuttle mission. We are talking ancient history here.

The album makes increasing use of keyboards, and also features a guest appearance on "Losing It" from Ben Mink and his electric violin.

Signals was the last album to consider the requirements of recording onto the vinyl LP. Indeed, New World Man was written to fit a particular time slot. If the track could be made short enough it would go onto the album, otherwise Signals would go out with 7 tracks. Subsequent albums would take advantage of the increased album length offered by the new CD format.

Signals is the last studio album produced by Terry Brown. Differences of opinion between Terry and the band, mainly centring on what he saw as the over dependence on keyboards made the split inevitable. Opinion is mixed as to whether Rush was better or worse without him, or just different.
For me , the last GREAT Rush album .
 
For all of us... the great, and unfortunately last RUSH album.:thumbsdown::thumbsdown::thumbsdown::thumbsdown:
View attachment 918354
Thanks for everything guys. :bowdown: :king: :king: :king:

It has been a hell of a ride. Rush have been with me for more than half my life. They have changed what I listen to, the way I listen to it and even the way I think. I'm pretty sure you're right and we will not see any more studio work from Rush. But if it's the case, Clockwork Angels is a classic way to make your last statement. I wasn't sure whether to include the videos in the discography. Now I think I will. Clockwork Angels with the String Ensemble is a must-see video. The Garden, with or without video, is a magnificent composition, as is the rest of the album.
 
Grace Under Pressure

IMG_8789.JPG

Track list:

1. Distant Early Warning
2. Afterimage
3. Red Sector A
4. The Enemy Within
5. The Body Electric
6. Kid Gloves
7. Red Lenses
8. Between The Wheels

Rush's 10th studio album, and the first to be produced without the assistance of Terry Brown. Broon's departure was over disagreement in direction between him and the band. Since the album is dedicated to him (in French) it can be presumed that the parting was amicable.

By now, the band had matured in many ways. Grace Under Pressure is extremely musical, Geddy Lee's voice, while still capable of some pretty high notes wasn't attempting to hit the peaks seen in Cygnus X-1 and the like. Keyboards were an increasingly important part of the band's sound. Some believe that this came at the expense of Alex Lifeson's virtuoso guitar playing.

Initially, the band intended to produce the album without outside help, but eventually used assistance from Peter Henderson, who had previously produced King Crimson, Supertramp and others.
 
Last edited:
I was 10 when GUP came out. I still have the LP. It made a huge impression on me with the Russian nuclear arms race and references to new technology. It still had that natural Le Studio sound even tho the keyboards were moving away from Moogs. Alex's tone and playing was great imo. The addition of Neil's electronic drums took some getting used to.



I would bet they are done touring but I hope they record more music at least.
 
Last edited:
Power Windows

IMG_8791.JPG

1. The Big Money
2. Grand Designs
3. Manhattan Project
4. Marathon
5. Territories
6. Middletown Dreams
7. Emotion Detector
8. Mystic Rhythms

The 11th studio album, and the first to be produced by Peter Collins. Released in 1985 on CD and vinyl, the album extended the band's instrumentation incorporating African drums for Peart and yet more keyboards. The recording also featured a 30 piece string section, perhaps inspired by Ben Mink's violin work on Losing It.

The album was recorded in England and Monserrat.
 
Power Windows

View attachment 918508

1. The Big Money
2. Grand Designs
3. Manhattan Project
4. Marathon
5. Territories
6. Middletown Dreams
7. Emotion Detector
8. Mystic Rhythms

The 11th studio album, and the first to be produced by Peter Collins. Released in 1985 on CD and vinyl, the album extended the band's instrumentation incorporating African drums for Peart and yet more keyboards. The recording also featured a 30 piece string section, perhaps inspired by Ben Mink's violin work on Losing It.

The album was recorded in England and Monserrat.

Mystic Rhythms, One of my favorite Rush tracks. I have the original pressing and it sounds fantastic.
 
Grace Under Pressure

View attachment 918435

Track list:

1. Distant Early Warning
2. Afterimage
3. Red Sector A
4. The Enemy Within
5. The Body Electric
6. Kid Gloves
7. Red Lenses
8. Between The Wheels

Rush's 10th studio album, and the first to be produced without the assistance of Terry Brown. Broon's departure was over disagreement in direction between him and the band. Since the album is dedicated to him (in French) it can be presumed that the parting was amicable.

By now, the band had matured in many ways. Grace Under Pressure is extremely musical, Geddy Lee's voice, while still capable of some pretty high notes wasn't attempting to hit the peaks seen in Cygnus X-1 and the like. Keyboards were an increasingly important part of the band's sound. Some believe that this came at the expense of Alex Lifeson's virtuoso guitar playing.

Initially, the band intended to produce the album without outside help, but eventually used assistance from Peter Henderson, who had previously produced King Crimson, Supertramp and others.

Second favorite album. Great music, Great rhythm guitars. Lee's voice again, Mellowing out. Nice vibe to this record.
 
For all of us the great and unfortunately last RUSH album.:thumbsdown::thumbsdown::thumbsdown::thumbsdown:
View attachment 918354
Thanks for everything guys. :bowdown: :king: :king: :king:
Maybe not the last album. There have been some statements in the press by Alex and Geddy that another studio album is a posibillity. Touring is out however not family friendly and health issue for Neil and Alex also has some health issues. Keep fingers crossed. :music:
 
Last edited:
Hold Your Fire

IMG_8792.JPG

Track list:

1. Force Ten
2. Time Stand Still
3. Open Sectets
4. Second Nature
5. Prime Mover
6. Lock And Key
7. Mission
8. Turn The Page
9. Tai Shan
10. High Water

The 12th studio album, released in 1987, took full advantage of the CD medium. The vinyl LP is limited to around 45 minutes. The 10 tracks of Hold Your Fire amount to over 50 minutes of music.

Recording took place in England, Monserrat and Canada. Time Stand Still appeared on a CD called "After The Hurricane", a fundraiser intended to help with rebuilding after a devastating hurricane hit Monserrat. It was supported by many artists who had recorded at Air Studios.

Additional vocals on Open Secrets and Time Stand Still were supplied by Aimee Mann who also appears in the promotional video for the latter track.

Production was by Peter Collins.
 
A Show Of Hands

IMG_8793.JPG

Track list:

1. Intro
2. The Big Money
3. Subdivisions
4. Marathon
5. Turn The Page
6. Manhattan Project
7. Mission
8. Distant Early Warning
9. Mystic Rhythms
10. Witch Hunt
11. The Rhythm Method
12. Force Ten
13. Time Stand Still
14. Red Sector A
15. Closer To The Heart

Rush's 15th album and 3rd live release, A Show Of Hands completed the familiar pattern of 4 studio albums followed by a concert album.

A Show Of Hands is slightly shorter than the previous two live albums, having been prepared to maximize the available space of a CD, 74 minutes.
 
Back
Top Bottom