• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

SA-8800 Capacitor drain

QSilver

Super Member
I'm working on one of these at the moment - giving it a recap and changing some of the resistors that looked a little stressed. I discovered yesterday while working on it (having left it switched off and unplugged on the bench for two days) that the negative main reserve caps still had -45VDC in them whereas the positive caps were completely drained.

Needless to say, before I did ANY work I drained the caps off safely through a resistor but I wanted to make sure with others here whether this was normal or not? Most amplifiers I get have discharged their caps by themselves within a day but this beast was hanging on to serious charge after two or three days!

Just checking in case there is a fault with a bleed resistor somewhere that I've missed?
 
Register to hide this ad
Usually they have a bleed R across (~8K) the big ecaps for safety purposes. The bleed R will in effect drain off the voltage in minutes instead of hours/days.
I'd have to check the sch to see if they used bleeder R in this design. if they did not use them you can add them.
Sounds like the -ve side has no bleed R whereas the +ve rail does. You need to check what is going on there.
 
Looking at the schematic, it seems that the reason the +ve discharge looks to be because they power separate circuits which must drag them down and bleed it off.

The -ve looks to be purely for the output transistors and nothing else so maybe that is why they stay fully charged...?

What sort of 8k resistor would be a good idea? Maybe I could/should remove them after work has been completed?

EDIT: actually after looking again, I see the negative cans supply more than the outputs so I'm not quite sure what is going on with some draining and some not...
 
Back
Top Bottom