• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Sansui 6060 help?

xjustinx

Active Member
Last night, my Uncle gave me a Sansui 6060 receiver that he had sitting in his attic. Is anyone familiar with this particular model? I'm not getting any sound out of it, but everything lights up just fine. All of the fuses seem to be in proper working oder. That usual "click" that you hear a second or two after turning on these vintage types of receivers is absent too. The only thing I've been able to surmise from the internet so far is that this seems to be a fairly common problem with this model. Any suggestions on where to start would be great.

6060-1.jpg


6060-2.jpg
 
Register to hide this ad
verify
Have you cleaned all switches and controls? Any sound when pressing buttons?
Is the tape monitor on or off? should be off if no tape player
4 channel adapter off?
FM muting on or off?
audio muting off?
Do you get some static on FM. Try an antenna, looks like you are not getting any signal.
Have your tried a CD player?

Try removing fuses and cleaning fuse caps and holder. Look at inside of end caps to see if corroded.
May just replace all fuses anyway, some may look good but may still be bad.

More difficult would be to look for loose wires cracked solder joints.

May need to look at bottom.

Tried headphones?

Does it have pre out/main in jacks in back with jumpers?
 
Last edited:
Is that the power button under the signal meter?

Some older receivers I have with power on buttons do not have a relay switch that clicks. I think my Sansui 4000 is like that.
 
Yeah, that's the power button underneath the signal meter. When I snapped that first picture, everything was turned off except the "loudness" button. I actually haven't tried the FM yet, because I don't even think I have an FM antenna around here anywhere, but I've tried the phono input, and a cd player through the aux input.
I'll try some cleaning. I need to go pick up some Deoxit though.
I did just get home from a long day at work not too long ago, so my brain might be a little fried and I'm sure there are things I'm not thinking of.

Here's a pic of the back of the unit:

6060_back.jpg
 
If the speaker protection relay doesn't pull in, and the fuses are okay, then you should immediately check for massive DC offset in the power amplifier section. The most convenient place to probe is often at the coils marked L01 and L02. The voltage should be less than 0.1V (either polarity) to ground. If it's more like 45V, then you've found a blown power amp channel. Do be careful with your probe!
 
Sansui 6060 help

Last night, my Uncle gave me a Sansui 6060 receiver that he had sitting in his attic. Is anyone familiar with this particular model? I'm not getting any sound out of it, but everything lights up just fine. All of the fuses seem to be in proper working oder. That usual "click" that you hear a second or two after turning on these vintage types of receivers is absent too. The only thing I've been able to surmise from the internet so far is that this seems to be a fairly common problem with this model. Any suggestions on where to start would be great.

6060-1.jpg


6060-2.jpg
Check the resistors on the driver board. I just repaired a 7070 with two bad resistors.
 
Back
Top Bottom