• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Sansui 8080 Reviews

If I see an 8080 for a decent price I will have to think about picking one up. I liked the 881 I recently flipped but was not blown away by it. After all the vintage stuff I have been buying the last year or so I have noticed (kind of to my dismay) that if a unit is in good shape and working like it should, I cant tell much, if any, difference in the sound of them..........they all sound pretty good to me. I do notice differences in how the tuners work and knobs feel etc but the sound is all very close. It must have been interesting for sales people back in the 70 selling them since competition was so fierce.
 
Does anyone have the 2 smaller dolby knobs that they would part with. the knob number is 5318340. Just got my newest receiver, meaning it is the youngster of the group. 8080db. What a wonderful surprise this is!
 
Does anyone have the 2 smaller dolby knobs that they would part with. the knob number is 5318340. Just got my newest receiver, meaning it is the youngster of the group. 8080db. What a wonderful surprise this is!
Same knob as the microphone knob on the 9090 and 7070 and they sell for about 25 each on the bay for the one I have seen. These receivers seem to lose that knob on a regular basis. Good luck finding one. You can subscribe for $25 per year and ask in the for sale, wanted forums called Barter Town to find an audience that might. But the bay could be your best bet other than the shops that sell parts like oak tree vintage in chicago. Good Luck. I know of a 9090db that is also missing that knob.
 
Same knob as the microphone knob on the 9090 and 7070 and they sell for about 25 each on the bay for the one I have seen. These receivers seem to lose that knob on a regular basis. Good luck finding one. You can subscribe for $25 per year and ask in the for sale, wanted forums called Barter Town to find an audience that might. But the bay could be your best bet other than the shops that sell parts like oak tree vintage in chicago. Good Luck. I know of a 9090db that is also missing that knob.

I’d second the subscription and post a want ad. I did the same for a knob for an oddball Heathkit tuner and had a response within 20 minutes.
 
If I see an 8080 for a decent price I will have to think about picking one up. I liked the 881 I recently flipped but was not blown away by it. After all the vintage stuff I have been buying the last year or so I have noticed (kind of to my dismay) that if a unit is in good shape and working like it should, I cant tell much, if any, difference in the sound of them..........they all sound pretty good to me. I do notice differences in how the tuners work and knobs feel etc but the sound is all very close. It must have been interesting for sales people back in the 70 selling them since competition was so fierce.
From a while back but. The biggest difference I've noticed is the ability to drive 4 ohm loads without the dynamics going flat and the damping ability to control heavy cones in big open cabinets before distortion sets in.
Other than that the Pioneer CS99a's will show all the little details between receivers. The rest here not so much.
 
I'm from MI too, but only have a 5050 which is very nice at 30wpc. So nice I'm ready to sell my 881 if I can find an 8080. The hunt begins!
 
I've got an 8080 also. Haven't used it in quite some time though. Think I'll put it in the bedroom system and see/hear how it sounds. Mine needs re-veneered unfortunately.
 
I had an 8080DB since new in the 80's Awesome power and sound. It eventually gave me problems with the selector switch with intermittent static, drop of signal etc. Had it repaired for about $200 back in the 90s Problem came back so I sold it and purchased an APT Holman pre amp, a Phase Linear 400 amp and a Dokoder Reel to Reel. They came from Sound by Singer and the old stereo stores on Chambers Street in downtown Manhattan by the World Trade Center. All gone now That was a nice set up with my vintage Jensen speakers (4 way) till I got my Allison 7 speakers. Now I have a Kenwood 5600, Pioneer 3800 and 3700 and waiting for my Kenwood 6030 receiver to be refurbished

It sure was nice to get old with all the various makes of audio equipment in the 70s- 90s Good times!
 
Out of about thirty receivers the 890db is one of four to stay with me.
That was seven years ago and the 890db moved on eventually.It was a very nice sounding unit but the post 2000 totl and near totl Yamaha receivers pushed all vintage out of the main listening posts.
 
If you look at the for sale 8080 and 9090s they are almost all DB. That is because the dolby usually has some problem. Dolby is the Edsel of electronics. It is something that made history on tape but not much now. There are people making and selling replacement wood cabinets. Ebay has them from time to time. I advise marking your set covertly if you have to have anything done at a repair shop. I handed over a pristine 8080 I bought new for a few lighbulbs replaced. I got back someone else's so-so. My mistake was telling that pinhead that they were becoming valuable. 10 years earlier I would have hauled him over the counter by his tie. The selector switches on the right hand side wear and can become corroded, the contacts are tiny and fragile and there ain't no more to be had. If things get fuzzy or noisy remove the cover and hit the switch with Deoxit D5, move the switch back and forth to clean the contacts. Only use Deoxit D5 it cleans and protects the switch, contact cleaner might clean but a few months later its back in trouble. The cans are small and expensive but there's enough for years. It works on all sliding switches and volume controls.
 
Back
Top Bottom