• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Sansui 8080DB

70salesguy

Only 99 easy payments!
May have a chance to pick up a Sansui 8080DB receiver at a good price, if it's for real. Need quick comments from the Sansui faithful.

Help out an old Pioneer guy, will you?
 
Register to hide this ad
Don't buy it. Once you buy your first Sansui you will want many more. Next will be a big G, then onto separates. The 8080DB is a very nice receiver, I'm sure you will enjoy it. :yes:
 
I checked the database and it says 85wpc and a list price of about 750-850 (can't remember for sure).

Where did this unit fit in the Sansui pecking order?
 
Hope this is a "real deal". I think I would enjoy a Sansui to go with my Pioneer stuff.

Other comments welcome, please!
 
There are some that feel the 8080DB is better sounding than the 9090DB. It's probably more reliable too. It's a great receiver with a strong following. Grab it if you can.

- Pete
 
Yep, the 8080DB is a very nice receiver. Go for it if it's the real deal. Mine had a change of wardrobe from vinyl to cherry wood courtesy of Merrylander. Beautiful.
 
I've gotten rid of two near mint SX-1050s, two Marantz 2238Bs, a 2252B, a Model 18, Sonys, a Nikko, a Kenwood and bunch of other stuff but I still have the 8080db. :D

But I did sell an extra 8080db with a woodcase to an AKer for $100.
 
I have an 9090, 9090DB, and a 8080DB in my Sansui line up. The 8080DB seems to get the most play, not sure why, but it's the workhorse of the bunch.
 
8080DB did very well in my MOTL receiver soundoff, definitely worth giving a go. I prefered the sound of the 8080DB over my SX-1250.
 
Good luck. I owned both the 8080DB and the 9090DB at the same time and could barely tell the difference in output power and sound. The 8080DB is a fine receiver.
 
alexkerhead said:
8080DB did very well in my MOTL receiver soundoff, definitely worth giving a go. I prefered the sound of the 8080DB over my SX-1250.
Wow, that is a strong endorsement!!
 
I got a near mint 9090db not to long ago, but I've had the 8080db for 32 years and no problems and it sounds as sweet as the day I got it!
 
i am the one who bought the 8080DB from onepixel (somewhere between him selling it and giving it as a gift - $100) and i love it. i don't have much experience w/ other vintage hifi to compare it too; haven't heard marantz, pioneer, yamaha, etc

my only qualm is the dolby. for some reason the 'record' setting is much better for movies. the dialog is more clear. maybe it has something to do w/ the speakers(?)
and in general it is louder when set to either 'play' or 'rec'.
 
cicero2,

Hey you might want to give the tape and dobly section a real good cleaning. My 9090db was kinda interminttent until I did. I found out that section doesn't get a lot of use so it get sticky.
 
LBPete said:
There are some that feel the 8080DB is better sounding than the 9090DB. It's probably more reliable too. It's a great receiver with a strong following. Grab it if you can.

- Pete

Pete, is there a design reason that the 8080DB might be more reliable than the 9090DB? Mine both have been very reliable once I chased down the demons in the Dolby switches and preformed an exorcism with DeOxit.
 
Back
Top Bottom