• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Sansui AU-11000 Restoration Questions

That's a nice piece. I recently picked up an AU 11000a that's in rougher cosmetic condition but has had some restoration to it's guts. I think at the end of the day, the internal restoration is pricey but fixing cosmetic issues back to factory, like in my case, is a far worse situation. Mine was missing a few switch knobs and the top plate with the diagram is heavily faded out on one side. Oh, and the original owner thought it would be awesome to engrave his initials on the top plate and on the front of the main volume knob. Brutal. Luckily, those filter/muting small black knobs that were missing I was able to source out locally and brand new. I just need to find that tuner switch knob on the bottom right (which has been frustratingly impossible so far) and figure out how to "fix" that main volume knob engraving issue.

Anyways, just wanted to post if anyone is missing any of those smaller black filter/muting knobs, I may be able to help out. And curious to see how others may restore that top plate if anyone is doing such.

Good luck with your restoration. I think these AU11000's are really beauties and well worth the time and effort.
 
I will be giving this to my local tech and I'm hoping that I don't have to pay an arm and a leg getting it to factory specs because I've already lost a kidney purchasing it :rflmao:
I cringe when I read these posts, why because I believe that it takes days/weeks to accomplish this task, what do you expect a good tech to work for?
 
I have the 11000A and had the 9900. After proper restoration I would put it up against any integrated, new or vintage regardless of cost. The top end is very smooth sounding, very tube - like. This amp makes you want to turn it up louder to get more of the rich sound it puts out. Excellent phono preamp. Read my post in DIY about restoration. You need to replace the pre-driver transistors for the amp to be reliable. The old ones go bad and become intermittant and can cause large DC offsets which could damage your speakers. Every audiophile friend that has heard this amp has been blown away by the sound, including tube guys.
 
Clean the thing with soap and water, and polish the knobs with car wax. When the faceplate is dry, wipe down with a lint-free cloth that has been shot with a few squirts of WD-40 (yes, really). Do NOT use the Birchwood Casey stuff on the black faceplate!! That stuff is seriously acidic and will make a mess of the original anodizing.

The rules for cleaning anything precious and important apply: start with the gentlest solution and work your way 'up' from there if you find it insufficient. Don't reach for the nuclear solution right off the bat (and in this case, I'd say that the Aluma-Black is a bad idea regardless of the what needs to be done).
 
I cringe when I read these posts, why because I believe that it takes days/weeks to accomplish this task, what do you expect a good tech to work for?
Hopefully not body parts ;)
I guess I didn't make myself clear...
I'm hoping that I don't have to spend more than what I got it for just on service... but if I do, It's not a big deal.
 
hello
I'm from France and i'm happy to join this forum and dicuss with others. Then sorry for my bad english, t I don't speak very well english. I 'm used to speak french.
I have a Sansui au 11000 from a long time but recently i have lost the sound of my right amplificator. No more sound come throught the right exit.
What could that be?
Thank's
 
Could be many things ranging from dirty switches, controls, connections or something worse.
Work backwards.
First make sure speakers are good, speaker cables, interconnect cables, source all work properly.
Then try a known good interconnect between preamp out , amp in Jack's.
Try a different input.
Try rotating volume balance controls. Check tape monitor switch . Filter switches.
Eliminate the obvious first. Try all those things and report back.
 
I had an AU11000. Both channels were out when I purchased it. Did a Deoxit treatment and wala, both channels came back to life. The faceplate is pretty easy to remove. Once removed give everything a good cleaning. Mild soap and water worked for me on the faceplate. Nice unit. Enjoy.
Bob
 
I thought I would throw in that for all the knobs on any unit I get, I remove the knobs where possible, and wash in warm dishsoapy water with a toothbrush. Works well on just about anything.

Word of warning, do not use magic eraser on any exposed metal or plastic parts. It will take off the protective coating. Not nice on silver faced beauties. This is from experience.

note: Fixed a spelling error
 
Back
Top Bottom