• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Sansui AU-317 vs. AU-317 Mk-II

I hope so, Pete! The AU-517 is still in my wish list! It would deserve an intire resto thread plenty of Hi Res pictures and part lists :)
 
WOW, this is a great thread, I'm on my way restoring an AU-317 I bought recently. The unit is in mint cosmetic condition, but no sound. First analysis showed the shaft of the source selector shifted backwards around 10mm out of the selector. This caused the selector switch to short some inputs!!! took me some hours before I found this. Repaired it, and the unit works now, but sounds flat compared to my recently restored AU-7700 (about the same power rating as AU-317). Big help here in finding all the parts I need to replace, will maybe start a new thread of my restoration. For the Dutch here, I'm from the southern Belgium (Flanders)
 
Buuuuuuuut...

Dear friends, I've got the AU-317. I paid 25 euros because it was nice outside, but very dusty inside! Spiders were living in!

Vacuum a bit, soft brush also. I wonder how I will clean completely it. Water? Special sprays?

The unit for me is complex to open the parts. I have to take pictures of all wires and connections.

I couldn't take the volume pot off, even trying with all the allens I have. If I want to have access the boards, I need to take that pot off.

And noise! Noise everywhere I touched! With the volume, noise with the Balance, noise with Treble, noise with Tone defeat control! All the trimpots to be clean?

The reason I paid 25 euros for the unit was also because all the speakers connection are broken!!! :thumbsdn:

But I took this unit because I hope you can help me. The other newer unit (Mk-II) was sold yesterday...

Big
 
After so many years, I found myself in the same situation. I wanted to get an AU-317 and finally got one, though it arrived in quite poor condition — dusty, scratchy, and with noisy pots. And of course, not for 25 euros, but for 150. Still, I don’t regret the purchase at all. I’m very satisfied with it after the restoration.”
 
Back
Top Bottom