• Please note that Audiokarma will be offline briefly for updates early on Monday morning, September 28th.

Sansui AU-999 recap and mod journey

didn't want to start a new thread to ask a basic question: I want to replace all the green mylar caps with WIMA, but the WIMA have different measurements for their pinout spacing?

does anyone happen to know the base widths of WIMA caps to order, so they fit in the PCB properly? looks to me like there are maybe 3 different sizes

thanks!
 
didn't want to start a new thread to ask a basic question: I want to replace all the green mylar caps with WIMA, but the WIMA have different measurements for their pinout spacing?

does anyone happen to know the base widths of WIMA caps to order, so they fit in the PCB properly? looks to me like there are maybe 3 different sizes

thanks!
I've done a few 999's with Wimas, you can get them with the right lead spacing. You just might have to go up in voltage...
 
Yeah, increased voltage is the secret. Mouser has a lot of options and has the pin spacing listed there, so it's not that hard to figure out what you need. You can use Panasonic film as well, those are usually pretty big.
 
Question-
I realize this is an older thread but I too have a minty AU&TU 999 that I believe is in need of an overhaul. I love the looks of these units and would love having them up to speed to listen to. Does anyone here do that type of work anymore? I’m in UT and can ship the unit. Feel free to private message me. Thank you

If you find someone to take on the project (hopefully your inbox has some suggestions), it would be highly advisable to have your tech read this thread from @smurfer77 below, and in particular consider some or all of the mods detailed in post #3.
And this mod from @kevzep

Also, if you are interested in doing the work yourself, folks here are super supportive and generous with their knowledge. No doubt you'd find what you need here.

Keep us posted! That AU-999 combo is Sansui royalty.
 
Back
Top Bottom