• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Sansui Product History: Amplifiers 1967-2000

That's an excellent question. It is covered via the service manual, however that's no guarantee it was produced.

My spidey-senses are telling me that whilst Sansui produced a 607, 707 and 907MR, they only made the 607 and 907MRX and skipped the 707. Given it was the 'international' model with a lower overall production volume across all of the MRX vs the MR, this was likely a deliberate decision to rationalise the model line-up offered internationally. I'm guessing though! :)



View attachment 2921804

Got it. Seems to be the case. I left it in as -

199x? AU-a707MRX 130 watts - unknown if ever in production. literature only confirmed.
 
@JimEGR, I can't confirm with complete confidence that the AU-X111MOS Vintage didn't come in other than a JDM only version, but every one I've ever seen (to include the basket case I have here presently) has been 100VAC only with rear panel markings for JDM.

No service manual has ever surfaced yet, either. Finding that might provide some insight, if it were found the schematics or parts list included references to alternate primary power transformers. That still wouldn't be real assurance that any were actually built though, only that they were planned for.

It is evident that some later alphas were made in a 230V version, but those may not have also been issued in 120V versions.

Based on little bits and pieces I've seen and heard, it looks to me like Germany and a few other selected European markets held on a little longer for Sansui than North American sales did. By 1988-89 they were already pulling back in the US; near as I can tell, by 92-93 at latest, they were out almost entirely, cutting us off from the models that came out after that time.

The few models of that late era though 2001) seen in the US and Canada were either direct imported by their original purchaser, or were purchased used and brought over later. An obvious example of both such cases were the AU-111(G) reissues built as JDM only, but of which a handful found their way to these shores.
 
@JimEGR, I can't confirm with complete confidence that the AU-X111MOS Vintage didn't come in other than a JDM only version, but every one I've ever seen (to include the basket case I have here presently) has been 100VAC only with rear panel markings for JDM.

No service manual has ever surfaced yet, either. Finding that might provide some insight, if it were found the schematics or parts list included references to alternate primary power transformers. That still wouldn't be real assurance that any were actually built though, only that they were planned for.

It is evident that some later alphas were made in a 230V version, but those may not have also been issued in 120V versions.

Based on little bits and pieces I've seen and heard, it looks to me like Germany and a few other selected European markets held on a little longer for Sansui than North American sales did. By 1988-89 they were already pulling back in the US; near as I can tell, by 92-93 at latest, they were out almost entirely, cutting us off from the models that came out after that time.

The few models of that late era though 2001) seen in the US and Canada were either direct imported by their original purchaser, or were purchased used and brought over later. An obvious example of both such cases were the AU-111(G) reissues built as JDM only, but of which a handful found their way to these shores.

OK well let's keep it in the list as JDM only and if someone provides evidence for an international version I will add it. You raise a good point about multi-voltage/230v/120v options. Maybe a detail to be added at some point, too - helpful information for a collector/enthusiast/pro/etc.
 
Researching the Alpha's I found this NRA catalog with an interesting and organized snapshot of the 607 series. Starting with the 1976 AU-607 (JDM version of the AU-517).

Screen Shot 2023-06-30 at 7.21.42 AM.png

NRA 1.png



The first "Third Generation" releases were the AU-607 and AU-707. A new and groundbreaking form factor at the time. Likely(definitely my opinion) the most accomplished series from Sansui. And, interestingly the AU-607 looks like it was the first to market in November 1976, with the AU-707 second to market in December 1976 - based on the ESAK serial number report.

So, it looks like the AU-607 was the foundation for a new direction for Sansui.
Screen Shot 2023-06-30 at 7.32.48 AM.png

1976 where it started AU-607 -
Screen Shot 2023-06-30 at 7.40.07 AM.png

1999 where it concluded AU-a607NRAi II / AU-a607 MOS Limited -
Screen Shot 2023-06-30 at 7.38.43 AM.png
Screen Shot 2023-06-30 at 7.41.00 AM.png
 
Last edited:
The 907Extra was never mass produced and sold (from what I understand), so I agree that it shouldn't be included on the list.

However, for the Sansui alpha nutters out there, at least one prototype was produced (thanks to @Cafad for securing this unicorn!)View attachment 2921032View attachment 2921033View attachment 2921034

As far as the AU-alpha 907 Extra, we have 74 examples of the AU-Alpha 907L Extra. Is that a separate model?

The AU-Alpha series is very difficult to catalog in the Database. Sansui was not consistent in their markings on the unit itself. In many cases the ID tag on the back did not match the name on the front panel. Often, qualifiers like "Extra" or "Limited" were only on the front panel often on the other side of the face plate from the model name.

As a result these models are often reported without the qualifiers. That makes it difficult to determine if it's a different model variation. @Peter lye and I have had many discussions trying to clean up the Database Master Model List to ensure that only actual models are included.

I know this is somewhat off topic but here are the AU-Alpha 907 and AU-Alpha 607 variant models in the master list. Please note the "Decade" is a reference for the algorithm that assigns the year in the database. It is not the actual first year of production. As some of you have found it is sometimes 10 years off so please check them.

Model​
Equipment Type​
Decade​
​
AU-alpha 907Integrated Amp1986
AU-alpha 907 LimitedIntegrated Amp1993
AU-alpha 907DRIntegrated Amp1995
AU-alpha 907iIntegrated Amp1986
AU-alpha 907i MOS LimitedIntegrated Amp1986
AU-alpha 907KXIntegrated Amp1991
AU-alpha 907L ExtraIntegrated Amp1987
AU-alpha 907MRIntegrated Amp1990
AU-alpha 907MRXIntegrated Amp1995
AU-alpha 907NRAIntegrated Amp1997
AU-alpha 907XRIntegrated Amp1993

Model​
Equipment Type​
Decade​
​
AU-alpha 607Integrated Amp1986
AU-alpha 607 ExtraIntegrated Amp1987
AU-alpha 607 MOS LimitedIntegrated Amp1999
AU-alpha 607 MOS PremiumIntegrated Amp1990
AU-alpha 607DRIntegrated Amp1990
AU-alpha 607iIntegrated Amp1986
AU-alpha 607KXIntegrated Amp1991
AU-alpha 607LIntegrated Amp1988
AU-alpha 607L ExtraIntegrated Amp1988
AU-alpha 607MRIntegrated Amp1994
AU-alpha 607MRXIntegrated Amp1995
AU-alpha 607NRAIntegrated Amp1997
AU-alpha 607NRA IIIntegrated Amp1998
AU-alpha 607XRIntegrated Amp1992
 
Thanks @LBPete and @Peter lye

And right on topic.

In the chronological post above the Alpha models and dates are nearly perfect. I’ve spent an enormous amount of time on the web and in the ESAK database researching then building that list out. And the more seasoned Alpha aficionados here been vetting the list. So, we could cross reference your list and the ESAK database to the chronological list above.
 
Last edited:
I try to set the decade reference above one or two years prior to the actual start of production. This is important to keep the production date algorithm happy especially when production crosses between two decades. The actual serial number in the database determine the actual start of production. The start of sales is the tricky date to pin down and is usually months after the start of production.

- Pete
 
Hi im new to this forum but just reading through the posts would like to know if anybody knows of the sansui au-501 which was my first serious amp as a kid.
I remember well it's series number and lettering as it was written in the front but recently doubted my memory.

Looking through eBay and seeing an au-101 which is identical in looks started my lamenting over the many happy times listening to the au-501 thus the hunt for more information commenced.

Initially not finding anything, doubt started to set in despite knowing I was right in my memory.
Only the later au-x501 which I have no interest in kept displaying.

Then a few weeks ago my memory was proved right and a sansui au-501 came up on eBay and I immediately went to purchase it.
Looking through the clear photos and not reading the description I was smiling away until I noticed it was for spares or repair thus I didn't bother with it.

I would of looked into repairing it myself but the guy wanted 450 for it.

Why is this particular model so rare?
Does anybody know anything other than the usual about this amp.
It's not a mistake it's definitely a sansui au-501 I not only remember it clearly but have as mentioned managed to confirm it.

I remember much about it like the loudness switch I had permanently on to the two glass fuses in the back with a screw threaded carrier that would blow sporadically when driving 4 speakers using systems a&b together.

It was the amp I bought my first pair of speakers with using my pocket money I'd saved up for ages at 12yrs old , they were that yrs award winning bookshelf speakers the mission 760i which sounded very good with it.

I had a pair of tannoy m15s at one point with it.

I've owned so many what's referred to as vintage hifi mostly as a youngster as my father was into repairing electricals.
He would regularly hand hifi separates through the loft hatch to me including trio, Armstrong, leak, Phillips, wharfdale, Aiwa,Sony, sansui etc, even a nakamichi tape deck at one point.

My favourite amp is indeed classed now as vintage being the pioneer a400 despite having a modern hifi costing much more I still use it in a second system as it's that good.

But I would really like to be reacquainted with the old sansui mainly for nostalgic reasons.
It never came close to the pioneer not much does but it went through so much with me as a young child into my early 20s when it was outright abused.

It had so many different ancillaries throughout the yrs including my first DJ decks from which djaying became a part time job aswell as a hobby for awhile.

Im still looking for another to replace it.
The amp went missing in many a house move throughout the yrs but throughout my ongoing hifi journey I remember it so fondly I would like another one in my life.
 
Last edited:
Hi im new to this forum but just reading through the posts would like to know if anybody knows of the sansui au-501 which was my first serious amp as a kid.
I remember well it's series number and lettering as it was written in the front but recently doubted my memory.

Looking through eBay and seeing an au-101 which is identical in looks started my lamenting over the many happy times listening to the au-501 thus the hunt for more information commenced.

Initially not finding anything, doubt started to set in despite knowing I was right in my memory.
Only the later au-x501 which I have no interest in kept displaying.

Then a few weeks ago my memory was proved right and a sansui au-501 came up on eBay and I immediately went to purchase it.
Looking through the clear photos and not reading the description I was smiling away until I noticed it was for spares or repair thus I didn't bother with it.

I would of looked into repairing it myself but the guy wanted 450 for it.

Why is this particular model so rare?
Does anybody know anything other than the usual about this amp.
It's not a mistake it's definitely a sansui au-501 I not only remember it clearly but have as mentioned managed to confirm it.

I remember much about it like the loudness switch I had permanently on to the two glass fuses in the back with a screw threaded carrier that would blow sporadically when driving 4 speakers using systems a&b together.

It was the amp I bought my first pair of speakers with using my pocket money I'd saved up for ages at 12yrs old , they were that yrs award winning bookshelf speakers the mission 760i which sounded very good with it.

I had a pair of tannoy m15s at one point with it.

I've owned so many what's referred to as vintage hifi mostly as a youngster as my father was into repairing electricals.
He would regularly hand hifi separates through the loft hatch to me including trio, Armstrong, leak, Phillips, wharfdale, Aiwa,Sony, sansui etc, even a nakamichi tape deck at one point.

My favourite amp is indeed classed now as vintage being the pioneer a400 despite having a modern hifi costing much more I still use it in a second system as it's that good.

But I would really like to be reacquainted with the old sansui mainly for nostalgic reasons.
It never came close to the pioneer not much does but it went through so much with me as a young child into my early 20s when it was outright abused.

It had so many different ancillaries throughout the yrs including my first DJ decks from which djaying became a part time job aswell as a hobby for awhile.

Im still looking for another to replace it.
The amp went missing in many a house move throughout the yrs but throughout my ongoing hifi journey I remember it so fondly I would like another one in my life.

Best guess is that you're talking about the Sansui AU-505.
Looks similar to the AU-101.
You mention saving for it at the age of 12, what would mean early '70s. The Mission 760 is from the late '80s.
For sure never heard of a Sansui AU-501.
 
Best guess is that you're talking about the Sansui AU-505.
Looks similar to the AU-101.
You mention saving for it at the age of 12, what would mean early '70s. The Mission 760 is from the late '80s.
For sure never heard of a Sansui AU-501.

Fully agreed. I'm confident that the AU-501 model does not exist - it is most likely an AU-505.
 
We have over 1,600 Sansui Models in the Database but no AU-501. As has been mentioned you are probably thinking of an AU-505. We have 129 of that model on file. They were produced between approximately August '72 and August '74.

- Pete
 
Best guess is that you're talking about the Sansui AU-505.
Looks similar to the AU-101.
You mention saving for it at the age of 12, what would mean early '70s. The Mission 760 is from the late '80s.
For sure never heard of a Sansui AU-501.
It was the missions speaker's I saved for sorry I wasn't clear enough, despite my memory and someone on eBay making the same mistake only confounding things your indeed right it must be the 505.

The missions were the 760i from the 90s when my hifi journey started, they were the "what hifi" award winners that yr beating the wharfdale diamonds.
I tracked down a photo of me in my old room and in the background is the sansui indeed identical to the 101 although I can't make out the display text.

It was my first 4 speaker amp given to me at 12 from my father who had repaired it.
I never knew at the time how old it was only that I liked it very much.
It seems the one person on eBay selling one had made the same mistake in identification.

That said I still can't find here in England just others further afield which is still the case.

I've used the ID correction and found much more info on it pointing towards it being a good and like I found out reliable hard wearing amp.

The "Hifi engine" site has a few things on it that will only resonate with past owners.

The specs put a 12w speaker rating in it which is way below what you would think it's more like a 60w amp of today.
I found its sound naff and far to thin but with the loudness switch flipped it turned into a different amp not just giving a little bass but a vast improvement suffice to say it was never off.
It's a very warm sound although if I remember and I do it would muddy at times.

The volume pot picked up the regular static sound when moved with time but it settled immediately when set.
I never bothered correcting it as it wasn't a problem despite knowing a quick spray with contact cleaner gives a usual 80% chance of repair.

I'm still looking at finding one and certainly don't want one that's been recapped and apparently improved.

I've been looking into valve amp although very happy with my acram sa30 in my main hifi system.
I have the mentioned pioneer a400 and Yamaha rs202d in a two amp set up as a second system and like them very much but keep hearing the usual about valve amps being the best thing in all things hifi yet no one can successfully describe what they sound like to me.

The reason I seemly go completely off topic is the sansui au505 is mentioned on a few sites as having the "tube amp" sound.
I've pasted in one of the links but it's mention a few times.


If so it's something I already know I like and the advance Paris A10 looks lovely which carries its own valve pre amp.
I thought this amp was to good to be true but reading the reviews it's all there.
I have no idea how these makers have managed to stuff so much in at that price and still have a good sound but apparently they have.

I'm also wondering if putting a valve pre amp with the acram sa30 would be a good idea or not.
I would like to hear your opinions, I'm not one to just assume things and am looking into demoing the advance Paris amp first.

Thankyou "Grispato" and "Lbpete" for your help in finding out about the sansui and pointing out its identification.
 
Last edited:
I happened to look at the 1975/76 Sansui catalog while preparing to work on an AU-6600 and none of these are in there:

1974 AU-7900 80 watts
1975 AU-3900 25 watts
1975 AU-4900 38 watts
1975 AU-6900 60 watts
1975 AU-5900 45 watts
1976 AU-2900 15 watts

So those dates are probably wrong, they were all released 1976 or later.

The 1975/76 catalog lineage goes directly from 7700/6600/5500/4400/2200 to 9900/11000/20000 ( "high power", not named "professional" yet ) & BA5000/3000, CA3000 definition series separates

To confirm I just checked the 1976/77 catalog and the AU-7900 series are in there, along with the earlier ( now named "professional" ) & definition series. None of the older x700 etc. though.

I didn't see any 9900A, 11000A in it either.
 
Just looked thru the serial # database & AU-7900 is all 1976-77 dates. A couple November 1975 & two oddball 1974 but I bet that's an error.
 
Just looked thru the serial # database & AU-7900 is all 1976-77 dates. A couple November 1975 & two oddball 1974 but I bet that's an error.

Yes, you are probably right. I just changed the AU-7900 to 1975. I read somewhere, and maybe as part of a conversation in this thread, that many models had limited production in the fall before the official release year in order to have product to promote at fall audio shows. All of the dates in the Product History here are based on production dates from the AK Serial Number Report - so that will include the early production units.
 
Last edited:
Looking at the AU-7900 in the database, there are two "outliers" produced in September and February of '74 but I believe those two are errors in the reported serial number. It appears production began with a batch produced in November '75. Regular production kicked off in February '76 and continued until June '77.

Looking at the others in the AU-X600 series, the dates listed look right. As an interesting side note it looks like any of them assembled on line 55 were built by contractors in Indonesia. They were building AU-4900s in 1978 after Japanese production stopped in 1977.

- Pete
 
Back
Top Bottom