• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Sansui TU-717 vs TU-919

My 2 cents. I have both and am neither technically competent nor have golden ears. As for the stock tuners TU 919 vs. 717 who could tell which is better? At their age both were and would be in serious need of alignment and possibly recapping. I endorse the ranking on fmtunerinfo.com, however, which you should also check out for other information including modifications. Neither sounded very good to me when I first got them. Even those AK members with extensive experience with amplifiers would not necessarily have the experience and equipment to align the tuners, and so I sent my 717 off for a tune up and modifications including the Ammon's adder boarding and to allow it to use stock bulbs. This was at least 10 years ago before I discovered AK. I live in the country with limited reception and use only a dipole antenna. The sound of the modified TU 717 blew me away. It had rich bass, excellent stereo separation, and what I considered CD quality sound. More recently, about 4 years ago, I bought a TU 919 (I have both amplifiers) and sent it off to our resident tuner guru Punker X. I think that I went for the whole update including recapping, the adder board, and a switch that allows you to disable the tuner locking circuit. I made no comparisons, but did not miss replacing the TU 717 with the TU 919 in my everyday system which, by the way, includes bluesy's favorite the AU-X901. About 3 months ago the TU 919 started giving us tuning issues, it seemed to be locking where we didn't want it keeping us from getting our station despite turning off the locking circuit. I could manage but the frustration was too much for my wife who listens and hops channels while I'm at work. The modified 717 came down to replace the modified 919 and I don't miss it. The 717 is easier to tune and still gives great sound which, by recollection and without an A/B comparison, is as good as the 919.

The TU 919 digital station indicator IC is still available but is getting harder to find (I have a back-up). Any tuner this age will likely need aligning and some upkeep. The price difference between a TU 717 and TU 919 is about $400 to $500 in the USA and the TU-919 is significantly harder to find. The adder boards can be purchased independently and be shipped and other modifications are described on the fmtunersinfo site if you look around. I have acquired a fairly extensive collection of Sansuis over a decade and prices were cheaper when I began collecting. I am close to being done. If price and sound quality are the main considerations I would recommend getting the cheaper TU 717 and using the savings to update it with modifications including the adder board,

Marc
 
... so I sent my 717 off for a tune up and modifications including the Ammon's adder boarding and to allow it to use stock bulbs

... I bought a TU 919 (I have both amplifiers) and sent it off to our resident tuner guru Punker X

... The adder boards can be purchased independently and be shipped and other modifications are described on the fmtunersinfo site if you look around.

@mjs1 Marc! Thanks for putting several of those info tidbits in one neat place! I've gotten some better filters and even an addon board from fmtunerinfo guys, but knowing there are improvements for the 717 and 919 is excellent.
 
And a slightly different take on the whole thing---
I feel some of the price difference is driven by collectors trying to create matched systems au717/tu717 vrs au919/tu919 rather than true fm listeners striving for maximum results. Having said that I would rather send my 717 out to an alignment specialist for a max effort upgrade, (although I do have the gear to do my own alignments) and enjoy the results rather than chase down a 919.
-Lee


Yep, quite a good point Lee. There are Sansui collectors out there that want the complete set and will buy the 919 tuner just to match their amp and have the complete look, but more than likely will never use it.

I used to be a marantz collector, had at least 2-3 copies of every amp they made from early to late 70s. I met quite a few guys who wanted the Model 20 tuner just to complete the look of their Marantz gear, but don't think they ever powered it up.
 
My 2 cents. I have both and am neither technically competent nor have golden ears. As for the stock tuners TU 919 vs. 717 who could tell which is better? At their age both were and would be in serious need of alignment and possibly recapping. I endorse the ranking on fmtunerinfo.com, however, which you should also check out for other information including modifications. Neither sounded very good to me when I first got them. Even those AK members with extensive experience with amplifiers would not necessarily have the experience and equipment to align the tuners, and so I sent my 717 off for a tune up and modifications including the Ammon's adder boarding and to allow it to use stock bulbs. This was at least 10 years ago before I discovered AK. I live in the country with limited reception and use only a dipole antenna. The sound of the modified TU 717 blew me away. It had rich bass, excellent stereo separation, and what I considered CD quality sound. More recently, about 4 years ago, I bought a TU 919 (I have both amplifiers) and sent it off to our resident tuner guru Punker X. I think that I went for the whole update including recapping, the adder board, and a switch that allows you to disable the tuner locking circuit. I made no comparisons, but did not miss replacing the TU 717 with the TU 919 in my everyday system which, by the way, includes bluesy's favorite the AU-X901. About 3 months ago the TU 919 started giving us tuning issues, it seemed to be locking where we didn't want it keeping us from getting our station despite turning off the locking circuit. I could manage but the frustration was too much for my wife who listens and hops channels while I'm at work. The modified 717 came down to replace the modified 919 and I don't miss it. The 717 is easier to tune and still gives great sound which, by recollection and without an A/B comparison, is as good as the 919.

The TU 919 digital station indicator IC is still available but is getting harder to find (I have a back-up). Any tuner this age will likely need aligning and some upkeep. The price difference between a TU 717 and TU 919 is about $400 to $500 in the USA and the TU-919 is significantly harder to find. The adder boards can be purchased independently and be shipped and other modifications are described on the fmtunersinfo site if you look around. I have acquired a fairly extensive collection of Sansuis over a decade and prices were cheaper when I began collecting. I am close to being done. If price and sound quality are the main considerations I would recommend getting the cheaper TU 717 and using the savings to update it with modifications including the adder board,

Marc

Great post Marc! Thanks!
 
Many thanks guys for the answers and opinions. The 717 I have suffered no modification yet. In Romania is hard to find a good person to do that. The first thing I want to do is a recap of the PSU. Then, if things go wright, I may try to do more on it. Now I want to buy a TU-7900 as well... I like the style of this one too and I still have room to place it in my system :)
 
A quick question: My Sansui TU-717 seems to sound better after about 20-30 minutes of warm up. Is this normal or is there a problem somewhere on some components that needs to warm up to obtain the best of them, or what remains on them :)
Thank you!
 
I would say that is quite normal, if everything otherwise functions as it should from power-on I wouldn't worry about it.
 
I have the 717 and I had no problem with drifting stations. The quartz lock is not a must in my situation. I'm not a DX-er....I personally like 717 more, but I'd sacrifice the better looking for a better sonic performance.
Besides this, anybody had any problem with the red digits on 919?

My tu-919 digital readout just started going wacky on fm. I traced it down only to the wires going into the middle of the fm tuner box section. If you give any of them a slight "tug" the readout returns to normal. I have not investgated further. Mike or Punker X wrote me that this is a common problem in the tu-919.
 
I bought a 717 about 15 years ago . Sent out for a recap and alignment. I think I just discovered AK

I'm very happy with the tuner.
Not so much with my local FM programming.
I might have tried to go up the food chain but I can't justify it.
Every now and then a pretty tuner pops up on BT and I have this Oooooh moment. Then I realize the FM I grew up with and knew and loved, doesn't exist anymore.
I do really like the 717 .
I could see not needing another tuner.
Of that series I think 9900 is the looker (I know it's really an earlier product, but close)
 
One more user experience: I have had both a TU-X1 and a TU-717. The outrageous sonic and build quality of the TU-X1 made for an amazing experience — most sensitive FM reception, best frequency response, and the blackest (radio) background I've ever heard. I wish I still had that tuner, but I was able to invest its value into other audio equipment that I'll keep long-term. I then picked up a TU-717 which delivered (to my ears) 90% of the sensitivity and 95% of the sound quality of the TOTL tuner, at a tiny fraction of the TU-X1's cost.

So as others here have mentioned, a TU-717 in good condition and alignment is a formidable and delightful FM tuner. For me it was more than good enough to be the radio we listened to every day at our house. (I now use a McIntosh MX117, aligned by Terry DeWick, and its FM performance falls between the TU-717 and TU-X1.)
 
I have the 717 and I had no problem with drifting stations. The quartz lock is not a must in my situation. I'm not a DX-er....I personally like 717 more, but I'd sacrifice the better looking for a better sonic performance.
Besides this, anybody had any problem with the red digits on 919?
 
Does/could anyone have a photo of the tu-919 of the underside of all the connectors plugged into the amplifier board? I got mine back after two years getting modded and it now has no AM. 20180905_163224.jpg

I think they may be in the wrong slots.
 
Last edited:
One more user experience: I have had both a TU-X1 and a TU-717. The outrageous sonic and build quality of the TU-X1 made for an amazing experience — most sensitive FM reception, best frequency response, and the blackest (radio) background I've ever heard. I wish I still had that tuner, but I was able to invest its value into other audio equipment that I'll keep long-term. I then picked up a TU-717 which delivered (to my ears) 90% of the sensitivity and 95% of the sound quality of the TOTL tuner, at a tiny fraction of the TU-X1's cost.

So as others here have mentioned, a TU-717 in good condition and alignment is a formidable and delightful FM tuner. For me it was more than good enough to be the radio we listened to every day at our house. (I now use a McIntosh MX117, aligned by Terry DeWick, and its FM performance falls between the TU-717 and TU-X1.)
 
I have been a an audio enthusiast for just short of 50 yrs and managed three high end audio stores. I own way too much classic high end audio gear to list. My impression of most FM broadcast stations is that their quality falls way short of providing an experience of vinyl or cd etc. I own an APS13 antenna with rotor amd am able to reach out a good distance from my west of Chicago location. Of all the plethera of stations O can receive a quality signal from only five or so provide the dynamic listening experience. Most of the time I just shrug off the poor quality saying its because its just FM but oh those five other stations provide a quality to delight the senses!
 
I've was looking for a tuner two years ago and did the tuner information center shoot out read. I was intending to have what ever vintage tuner recapped min regardless as these are getting up there in age. so I picked the TU 717 and then had my local shop do all the upgrades that are on the recommended mod list from the Tuner Information centers web sight. I also upgrades all the cap's to much better caps then recommended ( $260 Canadian in parts from parts X press). After it was finished total cost to me was another $200 in labour I payed $400 for the tuner so all in just under a grand. well let me tell you its way better then the stock 919 by a huge margin. I pull stations from Seattle 90 miles away crystal clear. The Tuner now is very detailed and like all good Sansui tuners it has a wonderful full mid and bottom end that's not over done. The sound stage was the biggest improvement its now a full 3D your in the middle of the stage depth sort of experience. I'm running it into my Finale Audio F3008 FXX 300b based integrated and then to my Living Voice R3's so i'm not lacking in resolution in my system and the Sansui takes full advantage of that. Highly recommend the 717-upgraded over many tuners out there. I had a Magnum Dynalab I think it was a 105 or something ( it had blue meters) in my system and frankly the much more expensive MD was not nearly as musical as the Sansui. I kept the Sansui.
Oh my tuner is on from 4pm to 11pm every night (yeah I go through tubes), well almost I do listen to records and stream as well. oh forgot I also use a Magnum Dynalab antenna ( the whip one)and its on the top floor balcony of a 6 floor building so that helps.
 
i have the 919 real nice tuner , had it checked by my tech he was blown away with the reception at his place , checked the alignment and it's the first tuner i have ever had here the brings in the local station 20 miles from me in stereo,extra bad reception here . small rabbit ears for antenna have a 9ft yagi with rotor both new and 30 ft tower to put up . i just can't make my mind up if i will listen to fm as i am 100 miles in the middle of bumblefawk ,every direction i am 2 hours from fm stations i can think of 4 stations that i do like
 
I have a serviced TU-717. It sounds simply outstanding. Blows me away every time I turn it on really. Every time!! :)

How much better can a tuner get?? Better results would probably be so small it would basically just be in the mind of the owner/listener.

Need better reception/sound? Get a TOTL (top of the line) antenna! As for me, I just use a standard 'T' wire FM antenna and it functions just fine. If I lived out in the country somewhere, or an area with bad reception - I'd just get a super quality antenna, that's all.

For me... the TU-717 is perfect in every way.

Hope this helps! :)

Good luck!
 
Last edited:
And coincidentally there is one for sale in BT at present at a good price considering 'Punker X' originally reconditioned and upgraded it for himself!
 
Does/could anyone have a photo of the tu-919 of the underside of all the connectors plugged into the amplifier board?


hope these helps ;)
1_zpsaxdlo4xb.jpg

2_zpsnqnbu7xg.jpg
 
Back
Top Bottom