• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Saturday Score!!

I have a lot to learn about this machine. This thing is no joke. More buttons and settings than I even know what to do with. But, like everything else I have bought and used, I learn and love it.
Well you bought something that isn't a classic 2-channel stereo 10½" reel tape deck. You got a 4-channel machine that you can use as either a 4-track or a 2-track machine. The difference being if you use it as a 4 track for stereo purposes, you might record channel 1 and 3, then rewind and record on channel 2 and 4 (or any combination you want). Always playing the tape from front to back. Of course, you could record 4 different things on tracks 1-4 and listen to them all at the same time.

In the other mode, the way a stereo machine would work. you would record on channels 1 and 3 in forward, flip the reels over and do the same thing again, record on 1/3. Then you would have a standard quarter track, 2 channel recorded tape, This means playback would be the same at recording, play side one, flip and play side two, always using channels 1 and 3.

Now when the band gets together...you've got something. A track for everyone.

Yes, lots of buttons, lots of flexibility and able to do a lot of things.
 
Ok y’all... pulled out some 7 1/2 recorded tapes and whammo!! Plays beautifully. Good lord this thing is perfect. No need for a tech I think. I’m going to lube, clean heads and enjoy. Next, get me some 10” reels and start doing my own Mix tapes... man, this is going to be a good time.

Did notice one thing though... Counter not working. So, I will replace all the belts. Since I will be in there anyway.

Dbhbh56.jpg
 
Ugh, I have such a love for those. I started out with a tube tuner and amp way back when from that brand.
It came with a printed and bound service manual, which I'll need, because it's missing one of the high-voltage power supply caps.

20190630_121645.jpg

Since I'll be in there, I may as well do the rest. Tubes are all Electroharmonix, it's got service stickers from 1976 and 2003, I expect the tubes are from the latter service. The insulators inside of the RCA jacks are cracked, not sure how I'll deal with this.

20190630_121637.jpg

The Heathkit sounds fine at first, but gets hot, and starts to distort after that, so it'll get a bias check and recap.
 
If there's one thing I've learnt and that is none of us a life long owners of this stuff, merely custodians for a set time when after that someone else becomes the new custodian. Sadly we get older and one day that's it and then someone else gets the enjoyment of this kinda stuff. Collectable cars is another category that this way of thinking is paramount.
 
Man, would really like to know who had owned this stuff or whose estate it was, really wonder if it was an AK member? He would have fit right in.
 
Man, would really like to know who had owned this stuff or whose estate it was, really wonder if it was an AK member? He would have fit right in.
You know, I can't imagine he sold everything on the last sale. I am pretty sure he will do another one. I remember a name on all the packages.. piles of the same name too, on all of them...

Can't for the life of me remember right now. It will come to me.

Check CL for another one though... I will be out of town, but who knows?
 
Well you bought something that isn't a classic 2-channel stereo 10½" reel tape deck. You got a 4-channel machine that you can use as either a 4-track or a 2-track machine. The difference being if you use it as a 4 track for stereo purposes, you might record channel 1 and 3, then rewind and record on channel 2 and 4 (or any combination you want). Always playing the tape from front to back. Of course, you could record 4 different things on tracks 1-4 and listen to them all at the same time.

In the other mode, the way a stereo machine would work. you would record on channels 1 and 3 in forward, flip the reels over and do the same thing again, record on 1/3. Then you would have a standard quarter track, 2 channel recorded tape, This means playback would be the same at recording, play side one, flip and play side two, always using channels 1 and 3.

Now when the band gets together...you've got something. A track for everyone.

Yes, lots of buttons, lots of flexibility and able to do a lot of things.
Can't seem to get it to record... Followed the manual but nothing. I think it is user error. :dunno:
 
1 set all input levels (line to mid-way) to get the meters to move
2 switch all output switches (between the meters) to Source to see what is coming in
3 leave all simul-sync switches to normal (on the head cover) cause you don't need it for this
4 switch all record mode switches to record to try to get something to record

Input a signal and you should get some meters to move. If not signal is not getting into the machine. Of course, the meters that move should be the ones that have the input signal connected at the rear. Suggest 1 and 3.

Let us know, we haven't started recording, yet
 
1 set all input levels (line to mid-way) to get the meters to move
2 switch all output switches (between the meters) to Source to see what is coming in
3 leave all simul-sync switches to normal (on the head cover) cause you don't need it for this
4 switch all record mode switches to record to try to get something to record

Input a signal and you should get some meters to move. If not signal is not getting into the machine. Of course, the meters that move should be the ones that have the input signal connected at the rear. Suggest 1 and 3.

Let us know, we haven't started recording, yet
I want to say I have done all of that... then I started drinking. I am home alone and listening to Phantogram... so, in a mood now. Maybe time to up my meds. TMI??
 
You know, I can't imagine he sold everything on the last sale. I am pretty sure he will do another one. I remember a name on all the packages.. piles of the same name too, on all of them...

Can't for the life of me remember right now. It will come to me.

Check CL for another one though... I will be out of town, but who knows?
Was it Mark Westerfield? Something close to that I think
 
Rmac587, jberger, those pictures make it all worthwhile! Glad to see good gear going to good homes.
 
Teac A-3340S looks brand new, still in box, maybe never plugged in!!! $300

rLIBrBs.jpg


nFszuRh.jpg


doamO1P.jpg


Ck0Up04.jpg


SxGvSDM.jpg


0ewjmK5.jpg
Teac sold for $1350 new, one of their top tier decks.

In 1974, an older brother of a guy I hung around with came back from the Army (stationed in Germany) with a host of gear purchased through the BX. Harmon Kardon amps, large Advents, Technics turntable,
and this beauty.
IIRC, this cost him just under a grand. It was a beautiful piece of gear, I remember it well. I'm sure he still has it to this day.
 
I was at that sale. I never saw that Teac you got! I'm jealous! But I did get a nice Akai GX-285D Reel To Reel for $100 that I am happy with. Also got several tube integrated amps (sherwood, heathkit, fisher), etc. Mark Lundquist was on the shipping label of one of the boxes I got. That may be the previous owner of this stuff.
 
Back
Top Bottom