• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Saw Stark Trek Beyond On Friday.

I'll have to check that out....

I stay in the house too much as it is, gives me a good reason to go out !
If you have a Costco nearby, you can get movie tickets for major exhibitor cinemas for discounted prices if you are a Costco member. Also AAA I think has a movie discount program as well.
 
I saw it on Saturday. I thought that it was a fun summer movie. Very thoroughly enjoyable. I thought that just like the rest of the reboot films, it was missing some of my favorite aspects of Star Trek that I tend to geek out about, such as long close up shots of the ships and external view ship to shop combat. I thought there was too little of both in this film, especially the latter. The combat was kinda lame looking in my opinion. That being said, I think the
sequence of the Enterprise getting destroyed
was very nicely done and was the best sequence in all three reboot movies. The emotional investment was huge. Unfortunately, the film was never able to return to that level of investment and went downhill into a more shallow action movie that was witty but also goofy at times. I still enjoyed all of the film, I just thought the the plot needed much more substance. I'm kinda tired of movies with plots that don't make sense at all, are not explained, or are not believable.
 
I just thought the the plot needed much more substance. I'm kinda tired of movies with plots that don't make sense at all, are not explained, or are not believable.

Spoiler/Opinion Rant

Saw it last night and made a similar comment to my wife, Willingly suspend your disbelief and just go with it chump! Huge sets and potentially huge stories that were barely touched on. More worrisome, the actors acting time on screen. I'd like to see a breakdown of high-speed action sequences vs. actual acting; gut says 80/20. A reasonable contrast is Guardians of the Galaxy which although action-packed had multiple memorable scenes with each actor. Which by the way is what I paid for not an extended video game sequence. Yes, there were parts I enjoyed and making the most of her role was Jaylah the real standout in the film for me. Although there are no heavyweights in the cast, most are decent actors and should demand more from their roles so the reboot sustains. As it stands the next installment is on my Wait Until Netflix roster along the latest Purge offering. One more thing, do not let Justin Lin anywhere near the director's chair again.
 
I'll have to check that out....

I stay in the house too much as it is, gives me a good reason to go out !

I recommend the following to make that even better.

When we go out to a film now (getting rarer) we do the Lux level. Good food & beer, fantastic seats, and way better surround-sound presentation.

Even if the film is fair we get a good meal out of the night. Factoring the ticket cost it works out to our typical dinner out cost +~$10 so not bad.

When True Grit came out no one wanted to go with me so I treated myself to this, was great.
 
I still enjoyed all of the film, I just thought the the plot needed much more substance. I'm kinda tired of movies with plots that don't make sense at all, are not explained, or are not believable.

That pretty much sums up my thoughts on the movie. The thin plot didn't make sense -- and even the bits of plot that were there really weren't explained. It seemed like someone wrote a bunch of action scenes, and then struggled to create some minimal plot to link together the action scenes. The interplay between the main characters is a big part of what makes a Trek film "Trek", and even that was limited here.

I guess I didn't like it. A big step down from the first two films, IMO.
 
My wife and I thought the recent Star Trek to be very good. We saw it in 3D, first time and to me it made the overall lighting a bit darker, I plan to re-see it in 2D and see what I think. Also, was in a renovated theater with lounge recliner seating. Here's the reason for my positive review - I was so engrossed in the movie, I didn't touch the water bottle, sour gummy snacks or any reflection of needing anything else during the movie. In fact, there were a few sections where I actually had to remember to breath - but maybe that's because the movie was fairly fast paced and I couldn't think between scenes about what I just saw.

IMHO, sure, there's a couple of plot holes and devices that on reflection don't make a ton of sense, but to this old Trekker, I thought the movie to be pretty good, gave it a 8/10 personally. It had a good balance of humor, potential risk, reasonable logic and escapes. OTOH, another ST based on vengeance, using 20th century props for solutions, and still having essentially humans from the past as villains. Yeah, If I really think about it, there's all kinds of echos of other ST and other sci-fi films (how about the female alien who seems to be a lot like Rey from SW:TFA)

Now, the next ST needs to reintroduce Q and bring in the Borg about 80 years too early. Borg don't care about vengeance, just assimilation.
 
The villain is an ex-Star Fleet officer gone bad - where, oh where, have we seen that before...?

The enemy ships blow up just like Martian heads in Mars Attacks, and from the same cause: music over radio. I liked the yodeling better.

The sound track was awful, and dialog was incomprehensible - that actually may have been a good thing.

This will be the new candidate for "Worst Trek Movie Ever."
 
This will be the new candidate for "Worst Trek Movie Ever."

Hmmmm.......

star-trek-5-the-final-frontier-movie-poster-1989-1010730068.jpg


Although.......

star_trek_generations_7829.jpg


On the other hand......

insurrection.jpg
 
Took the wife and boy to the theater on Friday to see the new Star Trek movie Beyond. The director of the previous two had ditched this movie in the middle of filming, and went to direct the reboot of the Star Wars movie. Seen that one, what a turd. So Jeremy Lin had signed on to do this new Star Trek, and they started it over. Well they did a fine job! It was a good Star Trek movie, and worth watching. Far better than Into the Darkness. It is worth seeing....a good movie on the big screen. Critics seemed to have nicked it here and there, but for Star Trek people it was a solid effort.

When I found out Lin was going to be the director, I had my reservations. I teased the wife that they were going to have lines like "I live my life a quarter light year at a time." Or they would put a NOS button on the Enterprise for when they were street racing a Romulan Bird of Prey. And Vin Diesel could play Spock and Dwayne Johnson AKA The Rock could be Kahn. But in all seriousness Lin did a great job, and good riddance to Abrahams.

Regards
Mister Pig

Did not think the new Star Wars was a turd, however the complaints that it was just a rehash of Star Wars IMO are perfectly legit, and critics' attempts to play that down by saying things like "this was the Star Wars movie we needed right now to get the franchise back on track" is cop-out city. Just like how Into Darkness borrowed so much from Wrath of Kahn that I really am beginning to think that's all J.J. Abrams knows how to do. (ABRAMS-- not "Abrahams." Really?)
That said, I'd be interested in seeing the new Star Trek- but I may have outgrown the "summer blockbuster" phase of my life.
 
Did not think the new Star Wars was a turd, however the complaints that it was just a rehash of Star Wars IMO are perfectly legit, and critics' attempts to play that down by saying things like "this was the Star Wars movie we needed right now to get the franchise back on track" is cop-out city. Just like how Into Darkness borrowed so much from Wrath of Kahn that I really am beginning to think that's all J.J. Abrams knows how to do. (ABRAMS-- not "Abrahams." Really?)
That said, I'd be interested in seeing the new Star Trek- but I may have outgrown the "summer blockbuster" phase of my life.

You try typing with hooves. :biggrin:

I am blaming the auto correct on my tablet, this thing is screwy, and the touch keyboard misses a lot of entries. It sucks. But I got no idea if I mistyped it, I probably did.

Three minutes of the camera spinning around Luke Skywalker at the end pushed me over the edge of what I thought about that movie. And Kylo Ren was a terrible villain, he did not even strike fear into his followers. Darth Vader would be rolling in his grave over that pathetic portrayal of evil.

Yeah I hated that plagiarism of the Wrath of Khan, it was a low point for me.


Regards
Mister Pig
 
Well, the scripts of the Trek movies sort of follow the butterfly effect, in that if one changes the timeline, events that would have happened still happen, just with different time frames and consequences, so redoing the previous movies and themes might actually be correct.

having said that, its now time for whales to appear, er, disappear, and alien probes to lumber (log roll) into the solar system. That's why we need Q now, or maybe a growing Romulan-Klingon alliance ala TNG but way earlier before the Federation is ready. OTOH, I know little of the Enterprise TV show and its timeline so there's probably ideas to explore there since its closer to the movie reboot timeframe.

What the franchise needs is a really good and solid villain / civilization completely removed from the Federation and known space. And where the Federation gets its nose bloodied, and there's not a good ending.

I'd also like to see in the next movie lines indicating Chekov accepted a promotion to Lieutenant and serves as assistant chief Engineer aboard another starship.
 
Not even mostly intelligble Tom Hardy could save it. Better than Insurrection IMO however, barely -


The sad thing is, if you watch the deleted scenes, they actually filmed a decent movie. They just cut the wrong parts in editing.
 
In a burst of weirdness, my wife and I saw it on the big screen (full expensive monty) and while not perfect, it felt the most "trekish" of the reboot series. But I believe that most folks are looking at the reboot series in TOS glasses and you will never re-capture the feel of those, so you have to let it go.

The one major issue I have is Spock's emoting continually in the reboot series and part of what made TOS special about him was despite being Vulcan he was more human than he let on.

George Takei (gay) believed that Sulu should not have been gay but rather they should have introduced a new character and I tend to agree (along with Spock, it was a major change for the character - also, similar to Khan being non-middle eastern).

Aside from this, I think it succeeded more than the others at least in capturing the spirit of TOS.

I think Star Trek Discovery (TV series coming in Jan 2017) will have a better chance of coming up with quality scripts and re-capturing some of the TOS charm (besides we should let someone besides Kirk save the galaxy, after all it's kind of a BIG place...). It will be nice to have some different personality interplay as well.

YMMV.
 
If this is a movie review post, here's my take: two thumbs down... yes, both my thumbs down.

This movie is now in my Top Ten Worst movies ever. Even seeing the 3D version did not help. Of course, my opinion.
 
And Kylo Ren was a terrible villain, he did not even strike fear into his followers. Darth Vader would be rolling in his grave over that pathetic portrayal of evil.

I think the fact that many people miss with this new villain is that he is immature, his training is nowhere near complete (look closely at his crude lightsaber), and he is sort of a wanna be bad guy, looking up to his grandfather as his role model.

I think we will see a much different Kylo Ren in the next movie.
 
The people that are complaining about Spock emoting too much need to realize he is still coming to grips with the fact that in this timeline HIS ENTIRE PLANET DISAPPEARED. And the guy is half human so I think they are playing up his human aspects a little more in this series. He is half human, keep that in mind.
 
Back
Top Bottom