• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Scott Speakers

I have a pair of Scott S 11's--drivers look to be the same as the S 15's--but the box is bigger 24" H x 14.5" W x 11" D. Cabinet is walnut veneer and well made. I have not auditioned them--but I couldn't pass on them for $7.00 pr.
 
I have a pair of S-108's in my wifes music room. Mostly low level classical via small Yamaha. Very pleasing in small quarters.
 
I picked up a set of S-17s from the same people who sold me a pair of AR-3ax. Haven't put them through the routine yet (only heard them briefly in the abovekitchencabinet setting where I found them), but would like to hear from any of you who have had them.
 
What are they going for? If it's not much then they might be worth a try. If you don't like the sound then go with Ed:

Ed in SoDak said:
If you like the cabinets, it might be fun to upgrade the drivers and crossovers. That worked for me with a pair of old Fisher speakers.

Of course I design these things for a living so I'm always looking for something to play with. :yes:

Ray
 
The speakers were at an auction. There was no interest. I missed the auction because of terrible traffic. The auctioneers are being VERY unhelpful. I asked them to put the speakers up for auction again and I would bid. They refuse to give an answer; they say it is up to the owner. So,I do not know what will happen. The worst case scenario is the auctioneers tell the owner there was no bidders and so the speakers end up in some dumper bin. I will let you guys know the outcome. Thanks for all the info.:no:
 
I picked up a pair of old tweed-front scotts at a Goodwill yesterday. $20. Worse comes to worse, I pitch the drivers and crossover.

Recycling is good.
 
Personally I like my S-11's. I can concur with not overpowering. I find them very pleasant to the ear.:smoke: :smoke: :smoke:
Like all components they sound better on some equipment and not as good on other pieces. Definitely don't seem to sound as nice on newer (digital) equipment as they do on older units.
 
Hi cheon57,

I got my S-11D's without grills and have not located a picture so I don't know how to recreate the original pattern.

If you could post one I'd be much obliged...
 
I'm with mhardy on this one. I too have Scott S-15's and they are pleasant sounding. I also at one point had a smaller bookshelf pair of Scott's and they too provided a pleasant listening experience.

Scott speakers won't knock your socks off but they won't fatigue your ears either.

Lou

I also own a pair of S-15s and absolutely love them. I have them paired with a newer pair of Klipsch KSB 3.1s in my main system. Paid $1.99 plus shipping.
 
Scott was one of the few manufacturers to pay attention to how speakers and crossovers work with amps, and they designed their speakers to have relatively constant impedance, which made them easier loads. With solid state amps that have aggressive protection circuitry or that have component values that have drifted, this could allow the amp to play louder and sound better than one with a wildly varying impedance.
I doubt that this is true with regard to later Scott speakers (from the 80's on) which I think are pretty much mass market product, but its a point in favor of early ones.
 
Came across a pair of Scott bookshelf speakers while thrifting today. Seem to have only a single 6 1/2woofer unless this is a a coaxial design. They were in good shape but did not see a model number. Still had the original operating labels on the back.
 
Scott speakers Family Photo

Lucked out yesterday and got brothers for my S-11D's. - S197 and S-10's.

attachment.php
.
attachment.php


Tweeters don't work on the S-10's. There's so much fiberglass in the S197's that I haven't dived in yet to find why there's no power going to its tweets. The Phillips tweeters work fine, just not getting a signal. Might be a fuse in all that mess 0 fiberglass somewhere.

The 15" woofer might be marketing gone haywire. But the cabs are substantial and deep enough to have some bass. If the drivers don't I'll have to put in the monster Dukane coaxes... heh heh I'll probably try that anyway til I get around to re-foaming... (biamped of course).
 

Attachments

  • ScottsFR.JPG
    ScottsFR.JPG
    71.4 KB · Views: 2,176
  • ScottsBK.JPG
    ScottsBK.JPG
    67.9 KB · Views: 1,292
I like them quite a lot.

I know absolutely NOTHING about speakers made by H H Scott. Can someone give me an opinion concerning the brand? :
I picked up a pair of S15's back in the early 70's. Over the years they were paired with a variety of amplifiers. They ended up as my "bedroom" speakers. Very pleasant at moderate listening levels. I found this thread because I just found a pair at the local GW for $10. Cosmetically they are in much better shape than my old pair (lost in a burglary). Can't wait to try them out with my Yamaha and my GSI Dynaco. They won't replace my mains but I'm sure I'll find a use for them.
 
Tweeters don't work on the S-10's. There's so much fiberglass in the S197's that I haven't dived in yet to find why there's no power going to its tweets. The Phillips tweeters work fine, just not getting a signal. Might be a fuse in all that mess 0 fiberglass somewhere.

There was no fuse in the S-196's I have. I seem to recall that one tweeter was glitchy until I cycled the front panel switch repeatedly.
 
Found the name of the speakers' designer:
Peter Globa. Russian or Ukranian. On another site someone who worked with him at Scott says that he "...often listened to live music as a reference." :thmbsp:
 
Darn, I'd like to try these out...unless they are the ones you just got. Steve?

Not Lelo! Oh, man, I'm sorry. He was a cool cat. :smoke:
 
Those are S196's, similar to my S-197's.

The Philips dome tweets in there are very nice.

Past the best era IMHO because the big 15" is more marketing than measurement. Still, heavier than Polk monitor 10's so not Kabuki.

Not a balanced design like the earlier 10's and 11D's...those I really like.

Snag the tweets... :D
 
Back
Top Bottom