• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Scott Speakers

To all: I was recently given a set of Scott Pro 100's. Very nice cabinets, no tweeters, only two midranges. I have been hunting for replacement parts on-line, but just don't know what other Scott drivers might work to replace the missing ones. Factory mids seem to be the 022-1130-038, tweeters A00180/t4's. Does anyone happen to know others that are compatible/comparable? I am going to go through the cross-overs as well, any suggestions would be appreciated! Thanks in advance!
 
My memory is that those were Philips drivers, though a quick look at images suggests that a couple of different tweeters may have been used since some look like the very common Philips and others like Isophons, and still others, the ones with chrome trim rings look somewhat like the tweeters used in the KLHs that had a computer (actually an equallizer) box - I think they were the 1 through 3.
 
We were a Scott dealer for a long time. They just couldn't compete with the competition at the time. AR. KLH. Bozak, EV for instance. They were hardly any better than Jensen and both were not that good. Even B&O, ADS and Braun were so much better. Then Bose 901s came along and nailed a lot of speaker manufactures coffins shut. Fisher and Scott in particular. Then there was competition from Japan and eventually Scott and Fisher became Japanese brands and we dropped the lines because the early SS electronics were not good performers.

To the gent who said Scott was a leader in tube electronics I will say not in my book. Every Scott and Fisher we sold and also the ones I owned never came close to meeting the company specs. You could change to new tubes every 90 days and that wouldn't help. They were budget electronics through and through and performed that way. The main problem was they had weak power supplies and very poor output transformers and used cheap caps and resistors.. Pilot came close, but Citation, Marantz and Mcintosh were the brands to own if you were serious about your music.
 
twiiii: Would you happen to have any info related to my questions above?
We were a Scott dealer for a long time. They just couldn't compete with the competition at the time. AR. KLH. Bozak, EV for instance. They were hardly any better than Jensen and both were not that good. Even B&O, ADS and Braun were so much better. Then Bose 901s came along and nailed a lot of speaker manufactures coffins shut. Fisher and Scott in particular. Then there was competition from Japan and eventually Scott and Fisher became Japanese brands and we dropped the lines because the early SS electronics were not good performers.

To the gent who said Scott was a leader in tube electronics I will say not in my book. Every Scott and Fisher we sold and also the ones I owned never came close to meeting the company specs. You could change to new tubes every 90 days and that wouldn't help. They were budget electronics through and through and performed that way. The main problem was they had weak power supplies and very poor output transformers and used cheap caps and resistors.. Pilot came close, but Citation, Marantz and Mcintosh were the brands to own if you were serious about your music.
Would you happen to know, or know of a source of info on my questions?
 
It is worth noting that the Scott 100s are from a good deal later time than (it appears) twiii is describing. And even a blind pig finds a truffle from time to time, so I think it is always worth hearing the actual speaker before deciding whether it is any good or not.
 
I have to chime in here! I was the speaker production manager for Scott from late 1980 through the close of the Woburn production plant in 1985. At that time the company was bought by Emerson Radio and the company moved to NJ. (After their purchase, I have no information, except they sold the 'name' to a company in Asia and that I heard their products were not allowed to be sold in the States, for whatever reason.) I can tell you that during my time, I worked very closely with the design engineer and can attest to his absolute devotion to produce absolutely quality speakers! We did not produce junk! Our products at the time still competed favorably with Bose and Boston Acoustics! In fact, The late Mr. Scott was a good friend of Dr. Bose, as well as a competitor. I well remember when we researched a new speaker, and tested prototypes in an an-echoic chamber, we could shake the building! If you, or anyone, finds a set of Scott speakers from the pre-1986 era, hang onto them! Will they compete with 21st century technology, perhaps not, but they are still quality speakers! (After 1986, 'caveat emptor'! (Buyer beware) Thus endeth my self-defensive rant.
Hello Jerry! I worked with you at Scott for 2 years before we were sold to Emerson. How have you been?? ( Andy, I worked on the speaker line and was the courier making trips to the bank in Boston etc)
 
If by flagship you mean top of the line, that would be the Bostonian Pro 100B, They had 15" woofers, two midranges with switches, and 3 tweeters. one midrange and two tweeters were mounted o the top of the cabinet. Trust me when I say they could play the 1812 Overture (with cannons) and make your ears bleed! LOL! Perhaps our next level speakers would be the 199T and 188T Series. our 166 series shelf speakers were a nice small package, too.


IMHO, that would be a worthy project!

Let me just say, we're going back over 30 years, and I'm now nearing 70 years old, so my memory isn't what it used to be. However, I am still PROUD of the pieces we produced back then. I personally had several Scott systems (granted I was an 'insider'). one in our bedroom and another in the living room. The main system had the Pro100B's. I would still be using them, but we had some mischievous cats who decided the woofers were scratching posts and totally destroyed both units!!! Somehow, one cat got inside the cabinet and wreaked havoc with the crossover! Since the company was gone by then, and I had lost all my contacts with suppliers, they were toast. I have a consignment dealer on the lookout for any Scott speakers he may come across. The 'force' of brand-loyalty is still strong with this one.
I hope I've been of some help to you.
Jerry.. Not sure if you got my private message, but I recently acquired a huge amount of Scott speakers and electronics from someone that worked at Scott (with myself and you) I'm still in Wakefield MA. Let me know if you'd like more info
 

Attachments

  • 8dc5fc44-28a9-4add-9f24-6a1dc6a64ba8.jpg
    8dc5fc44-28a9-4add-9f24-6a1dc6a64ba8.jpg
    152.8 KB · Views: 28
Jerry.. Not sure if you got my private message, but I recently acquired a huge amount of Scott speakers and electronics from someone that worked at Scott (with myself and you) I'm still in Wakefield MA. Let me know if you'd like more info
Put your cursor over Jerry's name and you'll find he joined Aug 23rd of '18.
He hasn't been back since Aug 24th of that same year.
 
^ Try not to be too hopeful, he posted a total of 3 times within 24hr's all in this thread I doubt you'll hear back from him.

Jerry.. . I recently acquired a huge amount of Scott speakers and electronics ... Let me know if you'd like more info

Also at the time he wasn't seeking any info, just relaying about his time working at Scott

What info were you hoping to provide him with?
 
^ Try not to be too hopeful, he posted a total of 3 times within 24hr's all in this thread I doubt you'll hear back from him.



Also at the time he wasn't seeking any info, just relaying about his time working at Scott

What info were you hoping to provide him with?
About all of the Scott equipment I have just acquired.
 
Jerry's posts were from 2018.
At that time, he stated that he was approaching age 70 which would make him around 77 now.

Hopefully, he is ok, I always find it interesting when people post about their time at an audio manufacturer.
Probably was gratifying for him to find a group interested in his story.
 
Jerry's posts were from 2018.
At that time, he stated that he was approaching age 70 which would make him around 77 now.

Hopefully, he is ok, I always find it interesting when people post about their time at an audio manufacturer.
Probably was gratifying for him to find a group interested in his story.
Yeah, it's too bad I didn't see this forum sooner haha. Jerry is the man in the beard in this 1986 photo
 

Attachments

  • Jerry.jpg
    Jerry.jpg
    65.7 KB · Views: 32
The Scott rep would come by now and then with a new or up dated speaker, but the our company just never took advantage of the sales spiffs to stock any for sale. I went to one CES Show in the 60's in Chicago and the Scott speakers performed very poorly compared to more well named brands. KLH, AR, small Bozak book shelf speakers, one brand I cant remember sold by the competition in town were just so superior. Rectilinear seems to be the name, but I might be wrong. I know by the early to mid 70's Scott was just not a brand we ever mentioned anymore. So with out selling them or installing them as a part time worker in the 60's I can't help you. Maybe before 63 there might have been a demand, but I didn't see any when I bought my first Scott 222 and then 299 in the summer and fall of 61or 62. I bought my MA 230 Mcintosh in early 63 as the Scott electronics all had capacitor issues, and never ever sounded as good as Mcintosh pieces. I bought my 230 and MR-67 at a Mcintosh amplifier clinic when both Scotts fell flat on their faces even with new tubes. Even at half power the Scott units couldn't equal what a Mcintosh MA 230 could do at 10% over rated power just before clipping. 11 or 20 watts versus the MA 230 at 35 watts. Then when I changed speakers and bought a MC 240 and a C-22 the 240 Could put out 55 watts a channel and still meet Mcintosh specs. My two 275's put out 180 watts running mono meeting specs.
 
Keeping this thread going. The Scott equipment does not get the respect they deserve. I got nothing but good things to say about my 197b speakers. Although my chorus ii definitely have them beat, they give them a run for their money. Running off my Scott rack. stereo.jpg
 
My first speakers were a set of 208d. Not huge bass but I remember lithium sounding amazing. Think i tossed them when the surrounds went, not knowing any better.
 
Back
Top Bottom