• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Seriously, are these worth $16 each?

Register to hide this ad
Oh well, all I can say is that I got some metal homebrew tapes with the free H/K tape deck I got, and they sound great and better than vinyl or CD, although they were probably just recorded from vinyl...
 
They "cost" what someone will pay

Like the old saying goes "an economist is someone who knows the price of everything, but the value of nothing"

I've got 27 of them, payed around $20 a piece back in the 80's, those are going to go alot higher and worth every $$ it costs, some will pop up here in the States, I'll wait, got 2 I just keep taping over, some say Don't you'll, ruin 'em, BS they'll have to be played and rerecorded and played 100's of times before they are ruined, I have Proof.
Craig
 
I stand corrected! Well worth 16 bucks in 2008! thanks stu

No, Sir caddisgeek I do! still at $82 AUSD with a little over a day left:scratch2: That is a smokin' deal for someone, if the bidding doesn't go much higher a snipper's gonna steal 'em. I think the sell for up to $40 a piece unopened over here!! Wonder why the seller won't ship out side of Austriala? Scams,bad expereance?
Craig
 
They "cost" what someone will pay

Like the old saying goes "an economist is someone who knows the price of everything, but the value of nothing"

The quote is actually from Oscar Wilde and is "the cynic knows the price of everything and the value of nothing". :)
 
I've got 27 of them, payed around $20 a piece back in the 80's, those are going to go alot higher and worth every $$ it costs, some will pop up here in the States, I'll wait, got 2 I just keep taping over, some say Don't you'll, ruin 'em, BS they'll have to be played and rerecorded and played 100's of times before they are ruined, I have Proof.
Craig

ya damn tootin'! those're among the very best audio cassette blanks ever made!! somebody gimme one! just one, PLEASE!!!!:tears:
here are the best audio blanks i currently have, which alltogether aren't bad at all!!:music:

DSCF0382.jpg

DSCF0383.jpg

(that "TRIAD" is actually made by taiyo yuden corp's "THAT'S" label. they changed the name to "TRIAD" for the U.S. market because taiyo yuden quite understandably figured that us "logical" americans would stay away in droves from quality audio media made by a company with a weird name...)
that gold maxell XL-II is part of a set of about 10/20 identical ones that i happened across at a local yard sale; $1.00 for all!! plus, they had been recorded upon, but hardly ever played!!:music:
 
Certainly they are worth whatever someone is willing to pay for them. I am not one of those people.

Here's the way I figure: It comes down to what you are going to record on them. If you are taping a CD, for $16 you could just buy the CD new. By that logic, I don't know why anyone would want to record a CD to cassette at all- just buy the CD! If you are taping MOST records, again, you could buy the record for less than $16.00. Now if it is some super rare record that is worth a lot more than $16.00, OK. If you are taping radio, a $16 metal tape is WAY overkill! Where I could really see a use for a high dollar blank tape is live recording. Then I could easily justify paying $$$ for a quality blank tape. And it doesn't get much better than a TDK MA-XG.

That's my $0.02, or $16.00!:D
 
Certainly they are worth whatever someone is willing to pay for them. I am not one of those people.

Here's the way I figure: It comes down to what you are going to record on them. If you are taping a CD, for $16 you could just buy the CD new. By that logic, I don't know why anyone would want to record a CD to cassette at all- just buy the CD! If you are taping MOST records, again, you could buy the record for less than $16.00. Now if it is some super rare record that is worth a lot more than $16.00, OK. If you are taping radio, a $16 metal tape is WAY overkill! Where I could really see a use for a high dollar blank tape is live recording. Then I could easily justify paying $$$ for a quality blank tape. And it doesn't get much better than a TDK MA-XG.

That's my $0.02, or $16.00!:D

True, true! I however, like to hear LP songs and 12' remixes from the '80's, if someone is having a party I mix up some tapes,I have several at the ready now. Bring my deck over and instant:banana::music::banana: I also agree with the live recording but don't have proper mic's! For my purposes I wish I'd been paying attention earlier, so I could have made arangements with our Austrailian friends to help me get those! Again Fantastic $$ on those:thmbsp:
Craig
 
True, true! I however, like to hear LP songs and 12' remixes from the '80's, if someone is having a party I mix up some tapes,I have several at the ready now. Bring my deck over and instant:banana::music::banana: I also agree with the live recording but don't have proper mic's! For my purposes I wish I'd been paying attention earlier, so I could have made arangements with our Austrailian friends to help me get those! Again Fantastic $$ on those:thmbsp:
Craig

Good point Craig. Making mix tapes is a great use for cassette but I think I would be more inclined to put stuff on a $2 Maxell XLII than a $16(or higher) high end metal tape.:D
 
Good point Craig. Making mix tapes is a great use for cassette but I think I would be more inclined to put stuff on a $2 Maxell XLII than a $16(or higher) high end metal tape.:D

Not to keep going on and on but, I can't resist, a Nak fan does not need converting! I use the $2 XLII's as well, depends on the set up where I'm going, some of my bud's have amazing new system's and while folks are boppin' around having fun, al of a sudden a LP pop:thmbsp: The keen eared look for the TT:confused: then notice the cassette on the rack, WTF is heard often! when I flip the tape some come over and I let them hold it:thmbsp: their hand goes up and down gauging the weight(they are heavy as you know) priceless! Of course most yell Hey DJ and back in the deck it goes:D I need help I know:yes: It's just to much damn fun though!
Peace Craig
PS I bring the Luxman or the Kenwood for these, the Kenny has the big VU's, but, the Luxman sounds way better!
 
I just sold some MA-X90s for $15.00 each, so I guess yep. In fact, I've sold most of my metal cassettes to buy an iPod; used ones go for $5.00 each or better.

I've got hundreds of cassettes, rarely play them and have my Revox A77 for taping if I want to make a mix or copy some vinyl. I've already got enough cassettes to drive around the US about 3 times, plus many used Maxells and TDKs to record over.

But FWIW, I played some Stan Getz on a Denon HD8 metal cassette I scored out on the garage Nak BX-100 and it sounded really, really nice. If cassettes are your passion, I'd say those guys are worth every penny :yes:
 
Yeah, they're worth it easy -- used to cost that way back when. Somewhere I still have some Maxell's that were atrociously expensive at the time -- the cassette shell was made from white ceramic material (something about reducing flex). Wonder how much those would go for these days? :scratch2:
 
cassette recordings

I record cassettes for the car or the gym. But neither playback unit warrants that grade of tape. :music:
 
I record cassettes for the car or the gym. But neither playback unit warrants that grade of tape. :music:

Exactly my position. I can use the iPod for portability and the Revox for the serious music, so TOTL cassettes get trumped.
 
I knew you would appreciate having this information, mate.

I've been having to work for a living! The horror of it all. :D




Actually just finished up a DO monitoring project in a WWTP. The system monitors and records DO levels and controls aeration based on the DO level.
 
Back
Top Bottom