• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Sherwood S-7100A Flea Market Find

Starrider1

Active Member
I picked this up today at the flea market for $12.00, Everything works and it sounds pretty good. I don't know how manu wpc it is or any history of the Sherwood brand anyone know anything about Sherwood or this reciever?
 
Last edited:
Register to hide this ad
I had one of these- it was my first vintage receiver, bought at a stoop sale for $10. VERY nice sounding receiver, cool looks, mine came with a manual which I believe said 17 wpc in to 8 ohms. Anyway, it blew my BPC receiver out of the water! Extremely nice phono section as I recall. Of course then I started craving more power and sold it, but I still regret parting with it - a very good find.
 
be careful if you plan to clean the switches. the power/voume knob has a plastic switch in it that degrades if you use cleaners. i am sure others can tell you how to clean it. it is common for the off switch in it to break.

great sounding rcvr. nice find.
 
Nice score!!!
My first "real" stereo system (1974) featured a Sherwood S8900A receiver.
Sounded as beautiful as it looked!
Take good care of that Sherwood S7100A....it's a keeper!!

Steve
 
The S-7100A is a fine sounding lower powered receiver, with a tube-like sound, fine tuning section, and even at it's lower price range, a good looking walnut veneered case.

I have been a Sherwood nut for a few years now, owning the S-7100A, S-7200, S-7300, and S-8900A. All are well-built and good sounding units, esp. the S-8900A, the last of the Chicago built receivers, which I would put up against any receiver in it's wattage range.

They may not have the flash and pizzaz of other lines from the same era, but when it comes to price vs. performance ratio, these older Sherwoods can't be beat, and still fly way under the radar.

If you have to clean the volume contol/power switch combo, use either Caig Faderlube or Deoxit D100, which contains no solvents which can attack the control.

Enjoy your Sherwood!:music:
 
Back
Top Bottom